Beginners and Beyond

Week 4 Penguins have a dream ... (01/20-01/26) (Read 13 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Although these days I'm not so sure we're any closer to MLK's dream than we were back then.  Sigh.

Anyway, all you can do is fix your little corner of the world, right?  So today I did yoga.  No biking, as it's currently 23, with a high of 36.  Too cold for my old penguin bones!!  I will likely not get to bike at all this week, as it's supposed to be either cold or wet all week long.  Well, spring usually shows up after winter, and then I can ride regularly again.

Docket, how was the race?  Ginny, how's your weather up there?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

I DNFd, I couldn't stop coughing and was slow.  I actually quit at Mile 0.68, lol.  Sigh. 

HopesMom, glad you enjoyed the yoga workout.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Biking in the cold is a lot harder than running or walking in the cold. Running I warm up quickly. Walking I bundle up like the Pillsbury Dough Boy, so stay warm. Biking you're at the mercy of the cold wind.

We had 5 inches of snow followed by ice and rain. There is a lot of snow on the side of the roads that won't be going anywhere for a while. Yesterday's high was about 17 degrees. Today gets up to 29, supposedly. Fortunately yesterday was a RD, so I just did yoga. Today I'll run outside since it's not supposed to be windy and the 29 will feel like 32 or so, if I wait long enough.

Singer who runs a smidge

Docket, so sorry about the DNF!!  Boo on the coughing!

Ginny, hope you stay warm on your outdoor run!

My yoga workout for this morning was a beach workout.  As in, the poses and intentions reflected the flow of the waves, and it was very breath-driven.  Good stuff.

Now I'm wearing long underwear and a cardigan in addition to my usual clothing bits, so I'm mostly warm, but my fingers are frozen.  Sheesh! 

Singer who runs a smidge

Howdy all!  I didn't bike this morning, and I'm kinda kicking myself, because I think it was warm enough.  The forecast I saw said it would barely be at freezing by 9:00, but it was closer to 40.  Oh well.  I'll wait to see if it's raining this afternoon (also forecast), and if it is, I will congratulate myself on my wise decision instead of kicking myself!

Yoga this morning was as frustrating as liberating.  Since it's an online studio, I sort of need my wifi to be functional to do a video.  This morning it spent as much time buffering as running, so each pose was longer than expected.  This was a good video too, lots of hip and hammy stretching, and more sweat than some of the other videos.  Since I only got halfway through before rolling up my mat in frustration, I think I'll try it again tomorrow.  Clearly my body needs those stretches!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I am furloughed for the day, so I got to sleep in, yay. Pilates and I'll try a run. Cough is still there (4th week, FFS) and rest does not help, so my patience is done.

HopesMom, I hate when that happened in videos and workouts.  Grrr.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

I also need to remember to check the forecast in Richmond, not where I live.  At home, high is 44, low is 43 for today.  In Richmond, it's 56 and 53. 

GinnyinPA

D - you are furloughed just for the day? Aren't they going to rotate people since this shutdown has lasted so long, and seems likely to continue for a lot longer?

HM - do you have the bike with you? Maybe go for a walk after work?

We are supposed to have ice and rain today, but so far only a few drops while walking Ben this morning. I have an interval run today which will probably be on the TM. I'd like to take advantage of the warmer temps, since they aren't going to last long, but yesterday I saw that the main roads aren't really clear enough to be safe for running (no shoulder), and if I go more than a few miles I have to go out on those roads. .

Docket_Rocket

No idea if we are going to rotate.  Changing people for just one day is even a hassle, I cannot imagine them switching more.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

I do have the bike with me, but after work is quartet rehearsal.  Woo-hoo!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Rainy today, which in a way is nice because my windshield was filthy, and the gas stations won't fill the squeegee reservoirs when it's cold.  I thought about parking on the open top floor of the deck so it would rain on my car all day, but I didn't think of it until after I'd parked and walked away.  Oh well.

I slept poorly last night -- when I go to bed cold, it literally takes hours for me to warm up enough to fall deeply asleep, so I kept waking myself up shivering, but not awake enough to put on socks or whatever.  Anyway, I was not up to wild active yoga this morning, and instead opted for an "ease into your day" video.  Which worked surprisingly well -- good deep stretches and gentle movements to gather in energy, etc.  It was definitely what I needed this morning!

Chorus rehearsal tonight, yay!  Last week got snowed out, so it'll be good to sing with these women again.

Docket_Rocket

Evening!  I stayed at the office to run at the gym there, thinking I wouldn't even make it past 3.  I ran 6 and I would've run more but I didn't have Gatorade or water all day, so I stopped.

First great run in forever.  Slow but I don't care.

HopesMom, hoping rehearsal went well.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Woo-hoo for your great run, Docket!!  You definitely were due.  Chorus rehearsal was good -- we worked hard, reinforced some stuff from coaching, and talked about how to focus on the audience instead of ourselves as we sing.  Love it!

No yoga this morning because I was lazy.  When will I learn that I feel less stiff and tired if I actually get off my rump and do some yoga than if I head downstairs and snuggle up under a blanket?  Well, I'm 46, so I guess there's still time.  I did bike this morning, though, despite the chill in the air and the wind blowing my hair around.  I'd missed it, and I enjoyed it, and screw it if I'm cold.  It wasn't too bad.  Woo-hoo!

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  Last day at the office for 8 days so lots of work.  I'll try to run before and after Pilates.

Having said that, I suspect with three airports now shut down or delayed due to the shutdown in the last 15 minutes, I will be back at work next week, lol.

Damaris

Fundraising Page