Beginners and Beyond

Monday Early Penguins..~~ (Read 21 times)

Bin Running

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) Big grin

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

Morning guys... Will start an early thread today..

Still coughing but med has already ran out.. Might be taking a RD today.. Yday 17M cause a bit of chaff but not really sore.. I might have pulled a back muscle on the right.. Feeling a little strained..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning Bin.   Hope cough goes away soon.  Short run today due to heat.  Still on on streak since Aug 6.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy Monday!  Today is Aug 26.  Holidays for today are:  National Dog Day; Cherry Popsicle Day; Women's Equality Day; and in England and Scotland,  since August 26th is the last Monday in August, it's a Bank Holiday, celebrating the end of summer

Mmmmm....cherry popsicle!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Philliefan33

Good morning penguins.

Bin, it sounds to me like you need to rest for a couple of days, and give your body a chance to fight whatever is causing your cough.

Jerry, Scotty -- enjoy the day!

AFM -- 5-6 mile fartlek run planned for tonight.  Hopefully I only have a four day work week.  I'm trying to talk DH into taking Friday off so we can get up to the mountains early, but he wants to work Friday.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  8 miles tonight.

Bin, feel better.

good day, all!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice weekend of running for me.  Big grin

Saturday, I went to explore the running area around another of our regional YMCAs.  This one is in Boerne, TX, about 30 minutes from San Antonio.  What a nice area to run in!  I headed out from the Y on some nearby local streets, connected with 'Trail 9', a running trail that used to be an old railroad line for Train 9,  hence the name of the trail.  This trail took me to the local city park, and one of the park roads took me to Cibolo Nature Center, which has some really nice off-road trails.

So I was running on one of those trails and then I hear someone ahead of me shout "Scottydog, you better hurry up, the girls are catching up to you!"  What the heck?  I look behind me and there are about 50 to 60 or so high-school age girls chasing me.  Ahead of me there was a small tent sent up and underneath that were water  coolers, folks in chairs doing timing, checking, etc., and the guy who had called to me, a guy I knew from local San Antonio races. I stopped to chat with him - and to get the heck out of the way of the girls - and found out there was a summer X-country meet going on of girls' teams from several various high schools around the area, using the city park and the Cibolo Nature trails, and my bud was one of the organizers of the meet.  So when I came ran onto the Cibolo Nature trails, I got caught right in it, lol.    My bud was laughing and said "Only you, Scotty, could go for a run and find 60 girls to chase you."  Joking   My friend let me get some water from a cooler, we had a nice chat, and we cheered all the young ladies on as they passed us by.  Very pleasant interlude in my run.

Then I was off again on my own run.  I did a bit of x-country myself, going across the park grass, making sure not to interfere with ladies on their course, and got back onto Trail 9.  From there I went back to the Y on River Road, which was a very pleasant experience, going alongside a river to my left.  Very pretty area with grassy banks, walkway with picnic tables for people to sit and enjoy the day and the river, restrooms and water fountains along the way, ducks and geese near the water, and so forth.  I finally got back to the Y, initially having planned when I first left the Y to do an easy 3 miles or so, 34 minute run and I ended up with 50 minutes and 4.5 miles of running and exploring...and had a blast doing it.  Trails, scenic river area, chased by girls...Very nice outing, and will definitely run this area again.

Sunday followed that run up with my 48th race of 2013, a 5K which I ended up finishing in 33:37, surprising myself by doing under 11-minute miles, even with my photo stops and a big hill to climb near the finish.  Report and photos here:   http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/2afe426514e340e58dae8361956571dd/resume#focus

Today after work, Gail and I are heading to a local Y to do a weight training session.

Philliefan33

Scotty, sounds like a nice run.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Pictures, Scott ???

hog4life

Bin, can you get more meds? Cough should not last this long.

Phillie, enjoy the fartleks run.

Jerry, the heat is back?

Damaris, enjoy the 8.

Scotty, I like red Popsicles but not sure if Bella does, ha.

I did a 5 mile run last night that felt great, first good run in a while. My foot is getting better. I also did a 3 minute plank last night.

I raced(run) a 7k on Saturday and finished in 38:10 for an 8:44 pace. It felt good just to hold pace. All these easy runs due to the PF have slowed me down, but I feel that I'm about ready to start pushing things a little.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Dang, Bin, still coughing, back muscle strain...what the heck are you doing to yourself over there?  Maybe you should take a week or two off and let your body 'regroup'.

Chicago is finally getting heat, Jerry?   Guess we traded off...San Antonio is cooling down a bit now.   Only will be in the low 90s this week for highs, which means I can do after-work running this week instead of that early morning stuff.  No photos from Saturday, Jerry, didn't have my camera with me.  Wish I had, though, it's very pretty up there.

Good luck with your fartleks, Philly.   Hope you get your wish for your 4-day workweek.  Why in the world would anyone WANT to work on Friday?  Joking

Good luck with your miles, Damaris.  Hope you feel better.   I watched this show last night on Masterpiece Theater called "Silks."  About the British judicial system.  Good show, odd system, IMHO.  Well, whatever works for them, right.  All the attorneys wear wigs in court...which got me imagining you as an attorney in one of those wigs, lol...

Congrats on your running, Mitch and on your 7K race....your 7K time is about my 5K time, lol.  8:44 is an easy pace and not pushing it?  I wish!   So, even injured, you still run faster than me, lol.

Bin Running

Scotty, that sound like a wonderful run.

I have history of long cough. It's not really bothering much. My breathing is not as difficult. If I am still coughing on Friday, will go back to the doc.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Zelanie

Morning, penguins!  Today I work, and then I work at my other job, and then I get to run 4-6.  Everybody is "officially" back today, and we have- an all-day meeting.  Joy!  I get to present for one hour of it.  I have lots of comics in my PowerPoint to at least make my part tolerable.

Docket_Rocket

have you considered asthma?  I used to have coughs for months especially after colds.  Longest one I had lasted for 6 months.

Scotty, that sound like a wonderful run.

I have history of long cough. It's not really bothering much. My breathing is not as difficult. If I am still coughing on Friday, will go back to the doc.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

I haven't. I used to have asthma when I'm a kid. It go away when I hit puberty. Maybe I should go read up on this. Is there many level of asthma which I'm on the lowest level? No doctor has suggested asthma either.

have you considered asthma?  I used to have coughs for months especially after colds.  Longest one I had lasted for 6 months.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar