Beginners and Beyond

Tripping Over THURSDAILIES to Get to the Weekend (Read 87 times)

@runjerseygirl

Good morning, Dailies! I'm back, or at least trying to be. I've been in a stress induced funk most of the week and trying to force my way out of it. I had a solid 6 mile run at lunch yesterday, and I'm looking forward to some speed work (5x800) today. Despite my absence from posting, I have tried to keep up with you all the last few days. Heidi - awe-inspiring, jaw-dropping run the other day. Kay - Go Phillies! Are you on the PA side of the river or South Jersey?

Werd!  I'm in central Jersey.  Straight shot down 95.

Do you even run?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

For those of you who are 'engineer-oriented" - a friend sent me these. LOL.  Enjoy!

Obscure Engineering Conversion Factors 

1. Ratio of an igloo's circumference to its diameter = Eskimo Pi

2. 2000 pounds of Chinese Soup = Won ton

3. 1 millionth of a mouthwash = 1 microscope

4. Time between slipping on a peel and smacking the pavement = 1 bananosecond

5. Weight an evangelist carries with God = 1 billigram

6. Time it takes to sail 220 yards at 1 nautical mile per hour = Knotfurlong

7. 365.25 days of drinking low-calorie beer = 1 Lite year

8. 16.5 feet in the Twilight Zone = 1 Rod Serling

9. Half a large intestine = 1 semicolon

10. 1,000,000 aches = 1 megahurtz

11. Basic unit of laryngitis = 1 hoarsepower

12. Shortest distance between two jokes = a straight line

13. 2000 mockingbirds = two kilomockingbirds

14. 1 kilogram of falling figs = 1 Fig Newton

15. 1000 ccs of wet socks = 1 literhosen

16. 8 nickels = 2 paradigms

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Damaris, I hope that your appointment goes well and that your day doesn't tire you more.

Dave, amazing run.

Phil, good luck!

kristin10185, I envy you a bit for being able to feel that something is wrong. I have too high a tolerance for discomfort and pain. Good luck Sunday!

DCDan78, I hope the funk is done soon. Enjoy your speedwork.

AmiK, sweet easy run.

scottydawg, good luck with your appointment. Have a great run.

BruceD555, have a wonderful six-miler.

Hilary, good luck with the 5K! I'm thrilled that you're able to race again.

jedigunnie26.2, sweet, easy seven miler. I hope that tapering goes well.

Sarah, I envy you having the liberty of choosing when to run. Days off are good like that.

I was chatting with the people who were working in the salon. The asked me from where I was, how old I am, etc.. Jaws dropped when I said that I'm thirty-four.

Tomorrow night, I'm having dinner with the nail technician and her husband.

Robert31320

Team TJ

Good morning Daailies.

I got in a nice 4.2 mile run this morning....wanted to do more but was pinched for time.

I end the month with 77 miles, with an average 5.2 miles per run.  I also made my first double digit run during the month.  I'm pretty happy with my running so far this yeaar as I have been able to increase my distances significantly without injury.

Have a great day.  Y'all come see us.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Robert, bravo on another milestone month.

Ugh. I can't insert the pictures because they're on my phone. I've uploaded them to FB. If anyone wants to see, PM me, so I may add you to my friends.

It's becoming a bit chilly outside. I'm sipping a cup of tea and relaxing before the pasta feed (that sounds awfully bovine, doesn't it?) tonight.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Hi everyone I may join you all from time to time.  I'm Marjorie, I've been running for 20 + years and I run a lot of miles.  I just enjoy seeing how far I can go.  I'm a Physical Therapist, live in Charleston SC and have 2 Basset Hounds (in my avi) that are liter mates.  I travel for work as I work with all our centers across the SE (and a few not in the SE) on a variety of things from policy to regulations to documentation etc.  I'm in Orlando this week and at a center now to do some training with a bunch of therapists.  I'll be back for personals as soon as I can.

Today I ran 16 miles super early am.  5 were at GMP.

Marjorie

Zelanie

Just dropping in to say that my 10 mile MLR went well last night and to wish Basya good luck if I don't catch her later!

@runjerseygirl

Hi everyone I may join you all from time to time.  I'm Marjorie, I've been running for 20 + years and I run a lot of miles.  I just enjoy seeing how far I can go.  I'm a Physical Therapist, live in Charleston SC and have 2 Basset Hounds (in my avi) that are liter mates.  I travel for work as I work with all our centers across the SE (and a few not in the SE) on a variety of things from policy to regulations to documentation etc.  I'm in Orlando this week and at a center now to do some training with a bunch of therapists.  I'll be back for personals as soon as I can.

Hi Marjorie and welcome!  Glad to have you here. Smile

Do you even run?

Yoga this morning. Since I was already at the gym, sweaty & in workout gear, decided to bang out a quick 3 on the treadmill afterwards, just to squeeze some extra miles in. Would be nice to be able to do that more often, but I was pretty darn late to work today. Maybe if I do the treadmill before yoga? That's getting up pretty early though. I do need to keep up better with the yoga; I have been slacking off a bit in order to make sure to get the running days in, and due to some scheduling issues. However I have been feeling a lot of extra pain/stiffness/soreness. May just be Huron the running, but I think the yoga helps keep some of that away by building strength & flexibility.

Final mileage for February: 158.5, a PB.

Have a great day everyone!

Dave

Ugh. I can't insert the pictures because they're on my phone. I've uploaded them to FB. If anyone wants to see, PM me, so I may add you to my friends.

If you have a smartphone, you should be able to insert pictures!

Dave

Welcome aboard, Marjorie! Brava on running sixteen miles before most people are coherent.

Zelanie, I'm happy that your MLR went well.

DaveP MI, excellent job doing yoga an running this mirnjng.

I have an iPhone. I need the URL of each picture, no?

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

FYI for So I'm A Runner, from his comment in yesterday's thread:  I don't have to wear the braces all the time, just when I'm active.  I do just fine without them for 'regular' walking and even when I do my weight training circuits.  But when I get active (running, racquetball, etc), that's when I have problems, the activity seems to make my discomfort flare up really badly.  I have a big ole screw completely through my left knee and a 'indented' right shin, courtesy of the helicopter crash I was in during my military days.  The braces 'stabilize" my areas during activity.  I have tried every so often to go without them, and it works for a few runs...but then everything REALLY starts nagging me, and it's back to the braces.  I do regular strengthening exercises too, given to me by my Physical Therapist,  for those areas, but even so, still have to wear the braces when I get active.  As my orthopedic doc told me the last time I tried to get out of them:  "Scotty, I think you would have learned your lesson after all these years.  Live with it, and just be happy that you are able to get out there and do any running at all.  Lots of people can't even do that."  Of course he's right, it could have been a lot worse.  I am VERY thankful for that first surgeon after the crash, who did the initial surgery on me for 6 hours and pretty much saved my knee.  So I just live with it now and try and stay positive.

Wow, that's an incredible story.  I can't imagine what it must have been like to be in a helicopter that was going down!  I hope you didn't take anything I mentioned about your brace as being negative, it wasn't intended that way.  The brace is certainly a small price to pay for all that you're able to do now.  And you certainly seem to have the staying positive aspect down, although I'm sure it can be hard some days (like it is for all of us I guess).  Did you remain in the military after the injury, or was that when you exited?

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

We finally went back to sleep around 3:15, but at 5 I ended up bringing him into bed with me. I think he had a bit of a fever, his gums/teething are really bothering him right now. I swear when we wipe his mouth of drool, twice the amount comes pouring out. Luckily we slept until 9 after that, I am so happy and so lucky my DH is my boss and he understands.

Sore from last night's run, glad tonight will be an easy, and looking forward to the kickboxing.

Trying to feed monkey butt, so I will say to all have great runs, great rest days, cross training and awesome that your runs went well. Hope I got everyone Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hey Marjorie!  I've seen your log from time to time when ever I've come across a report looking for mileage leaders.  You definitely put your mileage in!  It looks like you run a pretty regular weekly 10-12, and then a longer run once a week?  Since you were doing some miles at GMP, does that mean you have a marathon you're training for now?  I had thought maybe you were an ultra gal with all the steady months over 300.  Anyway, nice to have you join us and look forward to hearing more from you.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

runmomto3boys

Basya: GOOD LUCK!!!!I  I can't wait to hear all about the race!!

D2: Ohhh, I freaking love runs like that - just THE BEST!!!

Kristin: You are making the right call with respect to the IT band - baby it!!!

Shari: I'm sorry you had a rough night with the little one.  I hate it when that happens.

DC Dan: Awww, thank you!  Great job on the 6 miles and kick some tail on today's intervals.  I'm glad you are out of your funk!!!

AmyK: You are being smart and flexible about moving the runs around: that's good training!

Scotty: I hope the doc's appointment goes well.  Enjoy the miles.

BRUCE!  WHAT A RUN YESTERDAY!!!!  OMG!  Those intervals were BLAZING freaking fast!!!  I think you and I will be able pace each other at Lakefront!!!!  Holy cow!  Are you on FB, by the way?  We should keep in touch over there if you are since you are local.  I've got this local guy I'm using who is a coach and he's amazeballs.  Something you might want to keep in mind if you keep getting as fast as you are getting....just sayin'...

Hilary: Good luck on this weekend's upcoming 5K!!

Sarah: I'm happy you will be able to get some running in throughout the next two days!!

8 recovery miles on tap for tonight.  Very slow tonight.