Beginners and Beyond

Tripping Over THURSDAILIES to Get to the Weekend (Read 87 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your 7, Jedi!  Hope the RD helps your legs.

Hope you have - or are having - a fantastic day yourself, Sarah!

Nice to make new friends, Basya!  Enjoy the dinner!  Sorry you can't get your photos on here.  Yeah, that's why I do my initial race reports in another location instead of here.  As many photos as I take for races, one URL at a time for each photo would be very time consuming, lol.  I'm not tech-knowledgeable enough to know how to do it any other way, even when someone explains it to me, lol.  Yes, I am a technology idiot.   The pasta feed?  Is your Saturday?  For some reason I was thinking it was on Sunday, have no idea why.

Nice running for you, Robert. Congrats on the 77 miles and the double digit run.

Congrats on the 10, Z!

Welcome, Marjorie.  I may see you one day in the future, since you live in Charleston.  One of my dream races to do is Cooper River Bridge run..I love doing those huge events with thousands of participants!   I promise I will behave, especially since you are a friend of Damaris.  She has 'slap authority' from my wife, lol, to help keep me under control.  Joking

Congrats on the miles and the yoga, DaveP.  Don't know what to tell you about the time factor, maybe do one in the morning, one after work, if your schedule allows?

Hope your recovery miles go well, RM23B.

Good luck with your weight lifting and the miles, Paula! Curious...when you run and weight-lift, do you run before or after the lifting?  In my case, I tend to do my lifting after my run..I find that personally for me if I lift first, I get a sort of combination of  being both a little too pooped and too unmotivated to get my run in after.  If I run first, I do just fine.   I guess it's just a matter of personal preference, you just do whichever feels right for you.   Anyway, wishing you successful workouts!

That is quite an active day, outoftheblue, good luck! I'd be exhausted just from the weeds alone, lol.   Yeah, I hear you on the rain. Major drought here in Texas...I am not looking forward to summer, we will probably have major water restrictions!

C'mon, Phil...meatloaf made with turkey is not REAL meatloaf!  You gotta make it with that real 'heart-attack-waiting to happen" meat!  Wink  JK, of course.  I bet your T-meatloaf is really good.  I love meatloaf but Gail hates making it for me cuz I can't eat onions or garlic, and she likes those ingredients in her meatloaf.  And 'out in the world', well, it's hard to find any meatloaf in restaurants not made with onions or a touch of garlic..

Dang, Kay, that is quite a workout!  Congrats on getting through it!

Good luck with the 15 miles, Lily, hope it goes well for you!  Sorry about the fatigue...maybe you need a rest day?  I'd be glad to help hold you up, if I didn't live nearly 3,000 or so miles away, lol.  Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Got in 8.42 recovery miles over lunch.  They were about 30secs slower than easy pace...maybe not as slow as I wanted, but enough to serve the purpose I think.

For the record  I have no desire to run 80mpw every week nor do I need to. Quality vs quantity working a Daniels plan w/ 3 quality runs a week. That is what I am working on this spring with not running a marathon, so I can run a better marathon eventually getting my BQ. So far it's been good for me and I have seen a vast improvement in my fitness this winter.  I will see what happens at my HM next week. Being smart about it training and not just running to hit my mileage.

SIAR - I'm not down on you guys. Just hate seeing runners especially new ones not train smart is all, but I'll keep my thoughts to myself about this going forward. I don't like drama and this is what all this is now. Don't want to take away from group as a whole. Sorry if I offended anyone with my comments.

Jedi..I think this was really all I was trying to get at....you may not need to run the volume or have the desire to, but some of us do.  When I've done Daniels, I've ended up getting hurt because my quality and volume were going up at the same time (he also seems to throw you right into heavy speed work with no strength building phase).  But I also don't think it's fair to say that just because you're doing 80+ miles, you're not doing quality.  For instance, this week I'll have done 20x400 intervals, a tempo with 2x10min at 10k pace, and a 20mile run with the last 4 at MP...so I do think I'm getting both.

Also, I'm with you in that I don't like drama.  I actually think this is a cool discussion to have about training volume, and quality, and what's necessary to really see improvement in times, and where any of us would draw the line as far as how much we want to do, etc. etc.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

happylily

Scotty, one of these days, I'll meet you in SA. And we'll go for a run together. Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Nevrgivup

My brain hurts from what has become B and B these past few days. Need a nice cleansing run. To think of how productive I could have been today.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Question!

Though I am happy with my 3........ er 4 pairs of shoes, all Brooks, I was curious of one thing. I use the "find your type" thing on their website to figure out which ones are best for me, how correct is that thing?

I know many will tell me to go to a shoe store place that can help me, but I don't have time and I don't want to. It keeps picking the Brooks Ghost 5, which I love for long runs and races (I have one pair for long runs, and another pair for races), and then I have the GTS 12 and GTS 13  for tempos and easy runs, and then my ASR 7's for trails.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

No, I did not take anything you said as negative, it's all good, I knew what you meant.

It was 1974 and I was in the Philippines,  all of 20 years old, lol, having served a total of 2 years military service thus far. My knee surgery was in Nov 74, I was in a cast until January 1975, - and in the hospital until then too -  that went from the top of my left leg, near my hip, all the way down to my foot. Then I started rehab, and got returned to full duty in March 1975 just in time to help participate in evacuating all the refugees from Saigon.  Welcome back!  As said, very grateful to that surgeon, he pretty much saved my career.  I ended up staying in the military until 1996, retiring after 24 years service.

Wow, that's awesome Scotty.  Thanks so much for your service, and your bravery to go back after experiencing something like that.  Considering the surgical techniques that didn't exist back when you were hurt, that surgeon definitely did a hell of a job fixing you up!  I appreciate that you were willing to share all of that too...I know some vets really aren't comfortable talking about too much relating to their service.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Tom, isn't this your off-time?  Why the heck are you up so early?  Happy miles for you later!

Scotty, yes, it is my day off. Sometimes, I just wake up early. No use just laying in bed thinking about sleep - Now days, I get up and do a few things. Usually (like today), after 2-3 hours, I'm ready for a deep nap. I laid down about 8:30 this morning and woke up about 10:30. Felt much better.

So much better, in fact, that I ran 4 miles this afternoon, at a relatively easy 9:15 pace. I probably would have gone just a bit slower but it was cold and I just wanted to get done. Plus, there was a young lady ahead of me running with her dogs. I sort-of wanted to catch up with her. Almost, but I didn't quite make it.

I see her at my usual running place a lot - she walks 3 dogs for about 2 miles, then puts one in the car and runs/jogs with the other 2 for about 2 miles.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

No, I did not take anything you said as negative, it's all good, I knew what you meant.

It was 1974 and I was in the Philippines,  all of 20 years old, lol, having served a total of 2 years military service thus far. My knee surgery was in Nov 74, I was in a cast until January 1975, - and in the hospital until then too -  that went from the top of my left leg, near my hip, all the way down to my foot. Then I started rehab, and got returned to full duty in March 1975 just in time to help participate in evacuating all the refugees from Saigon.  Welcome back!  As said, very grateful to that surgeon, he pretty much saved my career.  I ended up staying in the military until 1996, retiring after 24 years service.

Scotty, thanks for telling that part of your life. I will always remember the famous "picture" of the helicoptor over the US embassy in Siagon removing the last of the US people (and perhaps a few refugees) from that city. Sad day for freedom.  Here it is....

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Ball of Fury

I know you say you don't want to go to a running store, and I understand that, but you probably should.  The Adrenalines (which is what I assume you mean by GTS 12 and 13) are a support shoe, which helps correct overpronation.  But, the Ghost is a neutral shoe, which does not.  Now, if you are running in both types of shoes without issue, I suppose it's not a problem to continue to do so and I do know some people do some runs in support shoes and some in neutral, but for me, I want to use the least amount of shoe I can that fits my running style.  Does that make sense?  When I first started, I ran in the Adrenaline and Ravenna because a LRS analyzed my gait and felt I over-pronated.  Since then, I have had it analyzed twice more and either I was "misdiagnosed" if you will or I have corrected it and my gait is more neutral.  So, I have switched to more neutral shoes, which are also lighter and just a better fit for me.

Question!

Though I am happy with my 3........ er 4 pairs of shoes, all Brooks, I was curious of one thing. I use the "find your type" thing on their website to figure out which ones are best for me, how correct is that thing?

I know many will tell me to go to a shoe store place that can help me, but I don't have time and I don't want to. It keeps picking the Brooks Ghost 5, which I love for long runs and races (I have one pair for long runs, and another pair for races), and then I have the GTS 12 and GTS 13  for tempos and easy runs, and then my ASR 7's for trails.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

SIAR - good points made. I'm not training for a marathon right now so don't feel like I need to run my usual 60-70mpw I would if training for a marathon, but somehow over last 7 days I ran 72m.Smile. I hear you on doing the quality and high mileage. Just need to be smart about it with a slow recovery day or RD in there between the quality days or a cutback week so you you're not running same mileage every week, but averages out over a course of a cycle to just about same You need to give yourself time to recover so the work you're putting in tearing down your body you can build it up and be that stronger of a runner which is ultimate goal. Just training smartly. I've only been running 3+ yrs and totally don't have it all figured out, but I have picked uip a lot in various places. that's all i was trying to get at.

As for Daniels i think he has you doing all those strides in Phase I so you're ready for hard stuff in Phase II. Phase II don't seem as bad with less R pace and more I pace.

Got in 8.42 recovery miles over lunch.  They were about 30secs slower than easy pace...maybe not as slow as I wanted, but enough to serve the purpose I think.

Jedi..I think this was really all I was trying to get at....you may not need to run the volume or have the desire to, but some of us do.  When I've done Daniels, I've ended up getting hurt because my quality and volume were going up at the same time (he also seems to throw you right into heavy speed work with no strength building phase).  But I also don't think it's fair to say that just because you're doing 80+ miles, you're not doing quality.  For instance, this week I'll have done 20x400 intervals, a tempo with 2x10min at 10k pace, and a 20mile run with the last 4 at MP...so I do think I'm getting both.

Also, I'm with you in that I don't like drama.  I actually think this is a cool discussion to have about training volume, and quality, and what's necessary to really see improvement in times, and where any of us would draw the line as far as how much we want to do, etc. etc.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I know you say you don't want to go to a running store, and I understand that, but you probably should.  The Adrenalines (which is what I assume you mean by GTS 12 and 13) are a support shoe, which helps correct overpronation.  But, the Ghost is a neutral shoe, which does not.  Now, if you are running in both types of shoes without issue, I suppose it's not a problem to continue to do so and I do know some people do some runs in support shoes and some in neutral, but for me, I want to use the least amount of shoe I can that fits my running style.  Does that make sense?  When I first started, I ran in the Adrenaline and Ravenna because a LRS analyzed my gait and felt I over-pronated.  Since then, I have had it analyzed twice more and either I was "misdiagnosed" if you will or I have corrected it and my gait is more neutral.  So, I have switched to more neutral shoes, which are also lighter and just a better fit for me.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I started out in the Ravenna's and they worked great for me, but then after a year they just didn't feel right. I've had these pairs for..............hmmm.... since November and they seem to really work for me though I would almost have to say that the Ghost work a whole lot more than the others. So would that mean I have a neutral gait now? The stores around here are Finish Line, Dick's........ Foot Locker, and Ultimate Fit.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Jedi..I'll admit to not being as good with getting my strides in as I should have been when I used Daniels.  I still think I responded more to running hill sprints though than I would have to doing more strides, so that's been a big help for me.  This is also the first cycle where I've really done recovery runs, and that has helped a lot too.  Plus, I've been a lot smarter about keeping my easy pace from being too fast.  In other words, I agree, the body has to have some opportunity to repair itself and soak up the training.

I've been running about the same time as you and have just taken what I can from reading Pfitz, Hudson, Daniels, Higdon, Running Times, Runners World, and the forums.  I try not to come across as sounding like I know it all as well, although I sure I do sometimes.

Docket_Rocket

If I remember, you had a foot issue for a while in 2011 or 2012, right?  Since you've run "smarter" like you said, those issues have been minimized, no?

Jedi..I'll admit to not being as good with getting my strides in as I should have been when I used Daniels.  I still think I responded more to running hill sprints though than I would have to doing more strides, so that's been a big help for me.  This is also the first cycle where I've really done recovery runs, and that has helped a lot too.  Plus, I've been a lot smarter about keeping my easy pace from being too fast.  In other words, I agree, the body has to have some opportunity to repair itself and soak up the training.

I've been running about the same time as you and have just taken what I can from reading Pfitz, Hudson, Daniels, Higdon, Running Times, Runners World, and the forums.  I try not to come across as sounding like I know it all as well, although I sure I do sometimes.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

If I remember, you had a foot issue for a while in 2011 or 2012, right?  Since you've run "smarter" like you said, those issues have been minimized, no?

Yep, memory serves you right.  2011, ruptured PF left foot.  2012, ruptured PF right foot.  And I've definitely done better and am feeling healthy with my training now.  It's been like putting together a big puzzle, and has included lots other things too:  footwear changes, more sleep, taking in protein immediately after runs, spending time with The Stick, wearing compression socks when not running, etc. etc.  Still, for me, part of staying healthy has been to get my volume up to where I feel like my body can handle the more demanding quality sessions.  At least I think that's part of it; my evaluation could certainly change and adjust over time...but I think that smart training is adaptable.

Docket_Rocket

And don't disregard those recovery runs.  I agree with jedi in that, recovery runs are important (and running on pace) in preventing injuries too.

Yep, memory serves you right.  2011, ruptured PF left foot.  2012, ruptured PF right foot.  And I've definitely done better and am feeling healthy with my training now.  It's been like putting together a big puzzle, and has included lots other things too:  footwear changes, more sleep, taking in protein immediately after runs, spending time with The Stick, wearing compression socks when not running, etc. etc.  Still, for me, part of staying healthy has been to get my volume up to where I feel like my body can handle the more demanding quality sessions.  At least I think that's part of it; my evaluation could certainly change and adjust over time...but I think that smart training is adaptable.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page