Beginners and Beyond

Tripping Over THURSDAILIES to Get to the Weekend (Read 87 times)

Ball of Fury

Free Soul:  I am certainly not an expert, but yes, if the Ghost are working well for you, you probably have a neutral gait, but it never hurts to have it checked.  As far as your running stores, those all sound like chains?  Not sure what Ultimate Fit is though.  Typically, when we talk about a running store, we are talking about a local store that is privately owned.  The employees there are usually more knowledgeable about running and can really give good advice about shoes, etc...If you don't have one, then I would suggest checking out runningwarehouse.com.  They have a shoe finder function and usually have some pretty good deals (use code WISHRACED for 15% most items).  They also have free 2 day shipping and a good return policy.  When I first started, I started in Brooks and felt like I should always run in them and I still love my Pure Flow 2s.  However, I also have a great pair of Mizuno Wave Rider's and New Balance 1080 v.3 so don't be afraid to try other brands!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

I'm bad at remembering to do strides too sometimes. I tried to do them one time a week post-Phase I but always forget.Smile Like you this cycle I have really focused on doing a recovery run once a week. Paces have been about 9:40-9:50. I like to read all those books too and have dabbled in all of them plans except Pfitz. I'll be doing Hanson for my fall marathon though. hanson takes a lot of philosophies from Daniels like the LR not being more than 25-30% of weekly total. Really liking Daniels though once you get a grasp on what all the different paces mean.Smile

Jedi..I'll admit to not being as good with getting my strides in as I should have been when I used Daniels.  I still think I responded more to running hill sprints though than I would have to doing more strides, so that's been a big help for me.  This is also the first cycle where I've really done recovery runs, and that has helped a lot too.  Plus, I've been a lot smarter about keeping my easy pace from being too fast.  In other words, I agree, the body has to have some opportunity to repair itself and soak up the training.

I've been running about the same time as you and have just taken what I can from reading Pfitz, Hudson, Daniels, Higdon, Running Times, Runners World, and the forums.  I try not to come across as sounding like I know it all as well, although I sure I do sometimes.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

flarunner

... The stores around here are Finish Line, Dick's........ Foot Locker, and Ultimate Fit.

Swift's Athletics in Evansville, IN

http://www.swiftathletics.com/

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Swift's Athletics in Evansville, IN

http://www.swiftathletics.com/

That one too! I forgot, though I do think Ultimate Fit is a small one too.....but I am not familiar with the small ones.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

DCDan78

3.5 miles done @ 8:30 average pace.  I had 5 x .5 lined up and was aiming for 8:00 paces, but only hit it once.  I was under three of them and way under for another.

Now I'll go back to skimming the shoe posts.  I feel so left out as a Vibram-ite (Vibram-ali?  Vibramer?)

Docket_Rocket

Basya runs in Vibrams, if I remember correctly, so you are not all alone!

3.5 miles done @ 8:30 average pace.  I had 5 x .5 lined up and was aiming for 8:00 paces, but only hit it once.  I was under three of them and way under for another.

Now I'll go back to skimming the shoe posts.  I feel so left out as a Vibram-ite (Vibram-ali?  Vibramer?)

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Congrats on your 7, Jedi!  Hope the RD helps your legs.

Hope you have - or are having - a fantastic day yourself, Sarah!

Nice to make new friends, Basya!  Enjoy the dinner!  Sorry you can't get your photos on here.  Yeah, that's why I do my initial race reports in another location instead of here.  As many photos as I take for races, one URL at a time for each photo would be very time consuming, lol.  I'm not tech-knowledgeable enough to know how to do it any other way, even when someone explains it to me, lol.  Yes, I am a technology idiot.   The pasta feed?  Is your Saturday?  For some reason I was thinking it was on Sunday, have no idea why.

Nice running for you, Robert. Congrats on the 77 miles and the double digit run.

Congrats on the 10, Z!

Welcome, Marjorie.  I may see you one day in the future, since you live in Charleston.  One of my dream races to do is Cooper River Bridge run..I love doing those huge events with thousands of participants!   I promise I will behave, especially since you are a friend of Damaris.  She has 'slap authority' from my wife, lol, to help keep me under control.  Joking

Congrats on the miles and the yoga, DaveP.  Don't know what to tell you about the time factor, maybe do one in the morning, one after work, if your schedule allows?

Hope your recovery miles go well, RM23B.

Good luck with your weight lifting and the miles, Paula! Curious...when you run and weight-lift, do you run before or after the lifting?  In my case, I tend to do my lifting after my run..I find that personally for me if I lift first, I get a sort of combination of  being both a little too pooped and too unmotivated to get my run in after.  If I run first, I do just fine.   I guess it's just a matter of personal preference, you just do whichever feels right for you.   Anyway, wishing you successful workouts!

That is quite an active day, outoftheblue, good luck! I'd be exhausted just from the weeds alone, lol.   Yeah, I hear you on the rain. Major drought here in Texas...I am not looking forward to summer, we will probably have major water restrictions!

C'mon, Phil...meatloaf made with turkey is not REAL meatloaf!  You gotta make it with that real 'heart-attack-waiting to happen" meat!  Wink  JK, of course.  I bet your T-meatloaf is really good.  I love meatloaf but Gail hates making it for me cuz I can't eat onions or garlic, and she likes those ingredients in her meatloaf.  And 'out in the world', well, it's hard to find any meatloaf in restaurants not made with onions or a touch of garlic..

Dang, Kay, that is quite a workout!  Congrats on getting through it!

Good luck with the 15 miles, Lily, hope it goes well for you!  Sorry about the fatigue...maybe you need a rest day?  I'd be glad to help hold you up, if I didn't live nearly 3,000 or so miles away, lol.  Big grin

Funny you should ask, Scotty.  I almost always lift first - the classes are first thing in the morning usually, so that's just how the timing works out.  Today, however, I did a class at noon so I ran first.  I found it more difficult to do the lifting with proper form, particularly with, not surprisingly, the legs.  I only lift on days that I have very short, easy runs scheduled, so I don't have a problem with energy or motivation for my run.

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

Docket_Rocket

Paula, I've done both (before or after).  I run better after a weight lifting session, but if I do them after, I am sooooo tired.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

YAYpril - B-Plus

Wow. I came here to wish Basya good luck tomorrow and saw a whole lot of nastiness en route. Wish I hadn't read this entire thread.

So, Basya, good luck tomorrow. I can't wait to hear about it!

2 recovery miles and pushups/situps done to continue my streak.

Carry on.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Wow. I came here to wish Basya good luck tomorrow and saw a whole lot of nastiness en route. Wish I hadn't read this entire thread.

Carry on.

Nicely done.  What's your pushup/situp streak at?  I just hit a big 8 days today!  I've just been doing it right after my run to try and make it part of my routine.  The funny part is, I actually feel like I'm seeing results with as little as I'm doing.  Maybe it's just "re-inflating" what was there when I was lifting for my tri stuff last year.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Docket_Rocket

I read your post today, hehe.  For fun!  Good job on teh streak.

Carry on.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Absolutely.  You better let me know if you come to Charleston.  I don't do the CRB run.  Too crowded for me but a lot of people like it.

Welcome, Marjorie.  I may see you one day in the future, since you live in Charleston.  One of my dream races to do is Cooper River Bridge run..I love doing those huge events with thousands of participants!   I promise I will behave, especially since you are a friend of Damaris.  She has 'slap authority' from my wife, lol, to help keep me under control.  Joking

Marjorie

YAYpril - B-Plus

Nicely done.  What's your pushup/situp streak at?  I just hit a big 8 days today!  I've just been doing it right after my run to try and make it part of my routine.  The funny part is, I actually feel like I'm seeing results with as little as I'm doing.  Maybe it's just "re-inflating" what was there when I was lifting for my tri stuff last year.

5 days! Damaris suckered me into a streak group on FB. 2 miles, 50 pushups, and 50 sit ups minimum. My arms have been perpetual jello but I'm already feeling a little stronger. I can do girly pushups in sets of 25 now. Big grin

BruceD555

Well, I got in my recovery 6-ish miles in on the TM @ work (8:55 pace) this afternoon and feel rejuvenated. I was sitting in the office and thinking that I needed a cup of coffee (or a nap) this afternoon but it's amazing how much a run can serve as a pick-me-up.

Train smart ... race smarter.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

5 days! Damaris suckered me into a streak group on FB. 2 miles, 50 pushups, and 50 sit ups minimum. My arms have been perpetual jello but I'm already feeling a little stronger. I can do girly pushups in sets of 25 now. Big grin

I wouldn't even qualify for that club...I'm starting verrry easy Smile

Bruce...I'm not a coffee drinker, but I can attest to feeling like runs do the trick most days.  Glad you enjoyed your 6ish.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn