Beginners and Beyond

New Poster (Read 221 times)

dotatl

I've been a lurker first on RWOL and then here since I started running in June 2010, and am finally joining.  I'm 48, female, and had never been able to run before 2010.  I am recently recovering from a leg injury and re-starting, trying to do everything right that I maybe didn't the first time around.  I'm currently running every other day, around 2.5 miles, 3 miles and 3.3 miles, trying to vary the length and make one run a week a longer run.  Prior to my injury I was running 30 miles a week at a flat mileage of 6 miles, 5 days a week.  I was only able to sustain that for about 2 months before injuries overcame me and I had to take time out to heal.  I am not sure if that total mileage was simply more than my body can handle or if it was the "same mileage every time" that got me.  I'm pain-free and currently doing all my runs easy, since trying to do speed-work seemed to also get me in trouble before.  I had only raced 5K's, with my PR being 28:19 in December of last year.  I'm 5'7" and 127 pounds and I do a lot of hip-girdle and core strengthening exercses, plus push-ups for upper-body strength.  Just looking to introduce myself and get some insights and tips as to how I can focus on smarter training this time around to get the most out of this old body! 

Docket_Rocket

Welcome!  hope you post more than lurk in 2013. Smile

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

runmomto3boys

Welcome!!  I wish you the best of luck with your running and on staying injury free. 

@runjerseygirl

Welcome! Smile

Do you even run?

Just B.S.

Welcome!

I'm turning 51 in a few days. Always nice to welcome someone from my peer group!Smile

Once you stay injury free for a while and get stronger you will be surprised what your

supposedly "old body" can do!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Glad you left lurker status and started posting. It's hard to ask specific questions and get the answers you want when you only lurk.

I doubt that mileage per se was the issue for you considering that many runners log much more than that with no problems. It's usually the rate of increase that is the root of the problem, not the actual miles. Again with speedwork, there are a lot of factors going into that, any one of which, if done incorrectly, could have been the source of your injury. Without more detail it would be hard to tell. Gradual increases and allowing time for adaptation are the keys to injury-free running.

And what's this comment about an old body? You're just a youngster. I've been running almost as long as you've been alive.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Welcome!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

happylily

Welcome!

I'm turning 51 in a few days. Always nice to welcome someone from my peer group!Smile

Once you stay injury free for a while and get stronger you will be surprised what your

supposedly "old body" can do!

What she says!

I'm glad you joined us today. You seem to have all the ingredients necessary to become a good runner. Perseverance is the key here. Don't give up, you will amaze yourself with what your body can do, even at your advanced age. (I'm a year younger, btw. :-))

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hi DotAtl...Glad to see you joining us and finding yourself able to run again.  It's easy to say that running just isn't your thing after an injury, but we've all dealt with injuries, and there's definitely a way to train so that you can stay healthy over the long term.  I think over time you should be able to work yourself back to doing the kind of mileage you were before; it may just take some time and different training strategies (which you seem to be already trying to employ).

Anyway, good luck to you and keep up the good work.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

dotatl

Thanks to you all for the welcome and the encouraging messages. 

Hey I'm senior by 6 years. You are a  youngster.  Smile  .  Best wishes on your comeback.  I just started running really for the first time in Spring 2011.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

SheCan

Welcome, dotatl!   Smile  

We're about the same age.  You were really getting some miles in before your injury!  Glad you're coming back so strong.  What I've learned about preventing running injuries in the last few years was that the sooner I feel the pain and give my body time to heal, the sooner I'm back on my feet.  I haven't been able to prevent all pains, but mostly I try to keep them in check.  Good luck to you.  It sounds like you're already healthy and fit.  So you're in a really good place to move forward.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

LRB

I have always found that we are our best detectives so with careful analysis and reflection, you will be able to figure out what went wrong.

It sounds like you are already doing that, so you are well on your way to a healthy and hopefully lengthy return.

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Hi!!   Pick a daily thread and join in the fun!   Both the regular Dailies and Penguins are very welcoming Smile

CrisRuns

Welcome and good luck on your come back to running!