Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins Let Your Inner Child Out To Play! (Read 36 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Yesterday I did legs and abs at the gym, ran 1 1/2 miles on the TM, then at home I rode an hour on the bike trainer, and had just enough steam left to get my myrtl exercises done - too much leg work for one day in that short a time.

Hope your inner child finds the cookie jar!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

hog4life

Good morning Gustav, nice workouts for you yesterday.

Today should be an easy 5 or so when I get up. Have I told you Pengs lately how much I hate night shift? Well,.......I hate night shift, I only have one more this week. I had an awesome tempo run Thursday night before work, 8.11 miles with 6 @ 8:25ish.

Dad on the run.

Hello Gustav, Mr early bird. Hope everyone has a great Friday. I'm about to be off work for the weekend so gonna go home get a little sleep and do some miles then do some work around the house.

I got 6 in yesterday, not sure if I even posted that or not. Think I averaged like 10:45. Really don't think my legs appreciated the 10 miler on Sunday and then the tempo run Wed. My legs were so tired, I kept trying to talk myself out of the run about every half a mile.

Going to go see "Mama" tonight with a bunch of people that my wife works with. Movie looks really creepy but I'm a big Del Toro fan (Pan's Labyrinth, The orphanage, Hell Boy 1 and 2...) so hopefully it will be good. Saturday is going to be pretty dull my wife is going to a "naughty girl only party" while I sit at home and watch our daughter, aint I just the good husband. Then Sunday I get to go riding! I have not rode a horse since I was 5yr old, fell off and broke my leg in five different places, so really excited about Sunday!!!!

Anyways, my relief just walked in so I'm off, TTYL!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Gustav - a fine start as usual!  That is a solid lower body work out for sure.

Mitch - so, what are your thoughts on the late shift?  I understand 100%@

JBJ - here is my unofficial unsolicited review of "Mama."  Decent movie.  Direction was good.  Visual effects not bad.  Cinematography was very good.  Story line kept you bought in all in all.    Enjoy!

AFM - SRD is the plan.  I didn't get my second run in yesterday, which is fine.  I ended up working the floor my entire shift yesterday and a fellow supervisor went home sick so I covered his shift until 6pm.  We were busy.  With that - I have to get going.  Everyone have a great day.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning and Happy Weekend !!!  Not sure if we are running as we had a MLR yesterday.  Wanted to go to health club, but its snowing right now and I don't drive in snow if I don't have to.

DW wants to see The Impossible. No horror movies for us (although the tsunami would be kind of scary).

Have a great weekend !!!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice run yesterday after work on the San Antonio Riverwalk.  Sunny, 77 degrees, low dewpoint and humidity, blue skies and sunshine.  My run ended at my favorite Riverwalk eatery, "Mad Dog Pub", where I enjoyed a post-run Alamo Brewery Golden Ale, watching the barges floating along on the Riverwalk,  and being surrounded by the lovely pub waitresses in their Scottish Highland kilts and knee-high socks.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jen16226

Good morning everyone.

Trying to get as much work done as I can in case I leave work early due to the weather.  I work 30 miles from home and unfortunately, the route I have to take home is NEVER maintained very well at all when snow hits.  I swear that my county is an orphan where PENNDOT is concerned!  You can tell exactly where my county starts because at that point, nothing is ever plowed or salted.  Salt isn't going to matter anyway since it is so cold.

Anyway....once I start getting messages about the weather up at home (because the weather down at work compared to up there is always night and day) and find out the snow is laying down, then I will head for home.  We are on the border of 4-6, while here at work is getting 2-4.

And it is looking like my runs this weekend are going to be on the treadmill due to the weather as well.  I was looking forward to getting outdoors for the 5 mile run, but now they changed the forecast for Sunday.  Oh well, I guess just look forward to the heatwave we have coming next week...we are going above freezing!

Gotta go...BBL.

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Gustav, you are becoming an over-achiever!  Wink

Sleep well, Mitch, and good luck with your miles.  Yeah, night shift sucks, I hated doing those shifts when I was in the military.

Enjoy your long weekend, Jimmy!  Being a nice husband might pay off for you, you might get 'benefits' when she comes home from her naughty party. Wink   Horse-riding! Good luck with that.  I rode a horse when I was a kid...fell off the darn thing, my foot was caught in the stirrup, my head was bouncing on the ground as the horse went up and down...finally the Supermarket Manager saw what was going on and unplugged the damn thing...

Enjoy your rest day, Vance, sounds like you earned it after a shift like that.

It's finally snowing in Chicago, Jerry?  So the no-snow streak is broken.  Enjoy the movie if you go.  I'm with you...no horror movies for me either.

Trying to get as much work done as I can in case I leave work early due to the weather.  I don't think we will have that problem here in San Antonio, Jen, lol.  30 miles from work, that is quite a commute!  Especially in bad weather.  Stay safe up there!  You get tired of  all that cold and stuff, feel free to visit here any time.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Ginny, just read the rest of yesterday's thread.  So sorry about your stress fracture, that sucks!  Wishing you a speedy healing!

From the Internet.

Happy Friday colonists!

Just got back from the gym - I can now deadlift my bodyweight plus 15 pounds for 5 reps Big grin Was scheduled to add 10 pounds to my squat too, but my legs felt wrecked from all the squats and lunges at PT yesterday so I stuck with 85, same as last time.

Hoping to get out for a 1 mile run at the track later this afternoon.. super busy day so I'm not sure if I'll have time.

Jimmy - ooh have fun tonight/this weekend - I'm jealous! I need to find some time to go out and ride soon.

Zelanie

Morning, penguins!  Today and Monday are grading days for our school, so I think I can get home at a reasonable time and do my LR after work today.  If that goes well, plus I have a good easy run tomorrow, then I will be officially "back" from whatever was wrong last week!

This weekend my DD is turning 15.  I think I'm making an orange layer cake with chocolate sour cream frosting and chocolate ganache.  She wants chocolate curls on top so I guess it's finally time I learned to make those.

Gustav- Nice job keeping up the old routines as you add running back in!

Mitch- TGIF!

Jimmy- I am also finding that adding new distance plus quality workouts the same week is tough!

Vance- Hope your day is a little easier today!

Jerry- Enjoy the snow!

Scotty- That sounds like a mid-summer run up here!

Jen- Hope you get home safely.

Lauren- Nice job on the weights!

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

Good morning everyone!

Today it is group PT with the wing. I don't know what we are going as I haven't been to a session yet. We'll see how it goes.

Bin Running

SRD for me.

Seem like everyone had a good day. Watching movie, watching waiteress and getting some runs in.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning! Sounds like evertone had good workouts. I overslept today due to too much NyQuil last night, so Ive been off all day. After work I'm going to the LRS to pick up my race packet for the 10K I'm DNSing tomorrow, and while I'm there I'm going to hace them fit me for shoes. I think my shoes may be wearing out already even though they have onlyabout 200 miles on them.....I apparently strike heavily with the outside of my heel becauae the treads there are worn down a lot. Could be contributing to ITBS. Either way can't kill me to see if there are better ahoes for me, or to get another to rotate with since I only have 1 pair.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to