Beginners and Beyond

I knew I was a runner when... (Read 591 times)

RSX

When I beat my fastest friend in a local race probably. Growing up this guy was faster than me in everything.

Butter Tart

When I no longer needed to reward myself for achieving running goals (like completing a 5K or a 10 K, that kind of thing), because running was now its own reward.

kitteh

I see it as akin to asking someone who's been working for several years if they are a wage earner. The answer is obvious and the question is superfluous.

Well sure, you can be certain that you are a wage earner after working a job for several years. But to me it's more like the question of "am I just working a job or do I have a career."  Some see that question as equally superfluous, I suppose. It might be a faulty analogy, but it makes a difference to me.

When I used to run as a warm up for dance team, or as the cardio bit before my "real" workout I was certainly an exerciser, but I never considered myself a runner. I ran plenty of times before I was ever truly a runner.

Running for two!

Pre-Preggo PRs--5k 23:00, 10k 49:07, HM 1:57:40

Post-Preggo PRs--5k TBD, 10k 54:45, HM 2:28:05

MrNamtor

Yes. The question is not "when did you become a runner" because the answer to that is, of course as soon as you started running. The question is when did you "know" you were "a runner". Really the question is when did you realize that you either loved running or that it had become second nature to you or a big part of your life and/or identity.

And for many people, both those who run and don't run, being a runner is the ultimate standard of physical fitness. I remember recently hearing someone say that someone was in shape - "runner shape", they said for emphasis.

Anyway, I think people love to re-post and reply to this question repeatedly because it is a very special experience that one has when time is put in to establish a running habit. And many people, especially those who start later in life and therefore don't take their running for granted, do have SPECIFIC moments when they realized that their running habit was established and had become an integrated part of them.

MrNamtor

Well sure, you can be certain that you are a wage earner after working a job for several years. But to me it's more like the question of "am I just working a job or do I have a career."  Some see that question as equally superfluous, I suppose. It might be a faulty analogy, but it makes a difference to me.

When I used to run as a warm up for dance team, or as the cardio bit before my "real" workout I was certainly an exerciser, but I never considered myself a runner. I ran plenty of times before I was ever truly a runner.

Right, exactly. Before you identified yourself specifically as a runner.

happylily

I also understand the question, I think. To me, it would be like I'm sitting at a piano, hitting some keys and having no idea what I'm doing. Am I a musician from day one? Maybe I can call myself a music student... but I am still hardly a musician. Then, one day, after much practicing, I start playing something I actually can recognize as music, and I start understanding what I am doing. That day, I become aware that I AM a musician after all.

Of course, we all know that when both out feet are in the air, we are running. Therefore, we are runners as soon as this happens. But are we really "runners" if the action of running only comes occasionally, and is unplanned and unscheduled?

I always say that I started running on August 26th, 2007, because that was when I asked myself if I could run 60 minutes, and then try to do it again two days later, and two days after that, and so on. I had then consciously changed my entire exercise routine. But I wasn't calling myself a "runner" at the time. I don't know why... It was about 4 or 5 months later, when I was vacationing, and a man who was staying at the same hotel asked me if I were a runner. We were in the hotel elevator, I had shorts on. I could have been simply going for a walk, or the gym. But he saw a runner in me. Why? I have no clue. Turns out he was a runner himself and he was happy to talk about running with me for the next 10 minutes. I finally said goodbye to him, feeling good that I was able to answer his question in an affirmative way.

We all have our own defining moment, or "awakening", and that was mine.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

MrNamtor

In the case of piano playing it's a level of virtuosity that would allow you to call yourself a musician.

In running it seems like it's really when at some point you identify yourself as a runner as you did lily, or realize that you love running, BUT this probably does correspond to a level of virtuosity.

That virtuosity is not running fast or far, necessarily, though it could be that. Or it could take the form, as you indicate, of being capable of running regularly in a planned manner.  In my case at least, the level of virtuosity was really the ability to run without thinking, at least subconsciously "ok, so how much longer do i need to run before I can stop".  Just running to run and feeling comfortable running. That could be thought of as the same thing as being able to play a recognizable song on a piano. All I know is that I would not still be running if i had not reached that level.

not lazy, just tired

For me there was no "ah ha" moment. It just happened bit by bit over time. For me it has nothing to do with miles/week or number of runs/week or speed. Sometimes other things get in the way, but when that happens there's no question in my mind that I'll get back to it as soon as I can. When I had bronchitis and didn't run for a month, DH told me not to worry, that I wouldn't get out of the habit, that I could get back to running when I felt better. It surprised me that he said that, because I had no question in my mind that I would get back to my running. Running had become part of me, and I couldn't imagine not doing it.

Not if it makes sense.

happylily

Yes, you are right about the piano thing. But more importantly, what were you doing up at that hour? My excuse is that I was starving, I had Christmas cookies in lieu of supper yesterday and the cookies just didn't do the job for me. They failed at feeding this runner. I woke up in the middle of the night dreaming about toasts with PB. Now, I'm on my second breakfast, toasts and jam. Big grin

In the case of piano playing it's a level of virtuosity that would allow you to call yourself a musician.

In running it seems like it's really when at some point you identify yourself as a runner as you did lily, or realize that you love running, BUT this probably does correspond to a level of virtuosity.

That virtuosity is not running fast or far, necessarily, though it could be that. Or it could take the form, as you indicate, of being capable of running regularly in a planned manner.  In my case at least, the level of virtuosity was really the ability to run without thinking, at least subconsciously "ok, so how much longer do i need to run before I can stop".  Just running to run and feeling comfortable running. That could be thought of as the same thing as being able to play a recognizable song on a piano. All I know is that I would not still be running if i had not reached that level.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I think it was gradual for me. Running started as something I just wanted to try for fitness amd to enjoy the park near me. When I started I knew almost nothing. I didn't know what tech material was. I didn't know that I should get special shoes just for running. I thought that my old gym sneakers that were 5 years old and whatever sneakers had been on sale 5 years ago would be fine because "they'll just get diry outside anyway." I didn't know what a Garmin was. And I couldn't run a mile. I got out there and started runNING but I was not a runNER. I think taking stock recebtly and realizing I have now dedicated an entire drawer just for clothes specifically dedicated to running, the fact that the ONLY thing I wanted for Christmas was a Garmin, that I am willing to lace up and get out there in almost any weather condotion, that I spend my free time on running forums, and yes even that I have an injury specifically attributed to running and especially how sad I've been not being able to run for a few days because of that injury.....I feel like there has been a transition for me from "trying to run a little" and being a "runner."

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

notimeforthat

I have to go with WC on this one.

I understand what you all are saying, but I just disagree with it from my own perspective. I don't know that for me personally that I look at running/runners as the most fit people either. I have seen some really impressive athletes in triathlon and cycling, as well as other sports.

Not meaning to be inflammatory or rude or whatever it will be perceived as, but I define myself as a mom, wife first, then comes nurse, then I have a hobby that I like to do. I understand the need to identify oneself with a sport...as a nerdy musician for almost my entire life, I get it and I do think being a triathlete is part of who I am as a person, but it doesn't define me as a person, which is what I see a lot of people do.

When that happens, I see people call themselves failures as people because of a bad run. That seems overboard to me.

delicate flower

I became a runner on Feb 11, 2011 when I decided to start running to lose weight.  I was a runner because I said I was.  I really felt like I belonged though when I ran my first HM seven months later and beat 75% of the field.

<3

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

Yes. The question is not "when did you become a runner" because the answer to that is, of course as soon as you started running. The question is when did you "know" you were "a runner". Really the question is when did you realize that you either loved running or that it had become second nature to you or a big part of your life and/or identity.

And for many people, both those who run and don't run, being a runner is the ultimate standard of physical fitness. I remember recently hearing someone say that someone was in shape - "runner shape", they said for emphasis.

Anyway, I think people love to re-post and reply to this question repeatedly because it is a very special experience that one has when time is put in to establish a running habit. And many people, especially those who start later in life and therefore don't take their running for granted, do have SPECIFIC moments when they realized that their running habit was established and had become an integrated part of them.

Honestly, I think tennis players are close to being the ultimate standard of physical fitness. Observe:

In transit, arriving on time. 

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

When I started getting up at 5am (or earlier) to get my miles in before the family woke up....man, that's tough for me. I like my sleep.

RunswithBeer

For me it was when I passed a couple standing at a bus stop and then passed them again later as they were getting off the bus.