Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES (Read 39 times)

LRB

'Sup!

Day 3 of no running, day 2 of core work.

Today I got in 20 minutes on the Piyo sliders. Them shits alright yo.

delicate flower

'Morning!  Boy, today's chill will harden those nipples, no doubt!  I've got an hour of easy running to do after work.  I'm still having a hard time figuring out how to dress in these temps.  I suppose I'd have it figured out by now if I didn't spend all of last winter on the treadmill.

Last night was 50 minutes easy (6.1 miles).  My paces have slowed a little but I have basically run nothing flat for weeks.  I miss my rail trail.  Considering all the hills I'm running though, I'm pretty happy with the speed of my easy runs.

<3

happylily

Morning!

I was wondering: where the heck is my compatriot from Montreal? I hope he's not stuck somewhere in a snowbank... ERIC! Where are you?

Anyway, today will be either 7, or a complete rest day. I'm feeling lazy again.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

B-Plus

The intervals on hills last night were hard. Time to shake out the legs with an easy 6.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  4-5 miles for me tonight.  Gotta go, Court awaits.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I get a massage 48 - 24 hours before a race, so about every two weeks once the race season is up and running (March through October).

I had knots in my upper back and arms but those were gone after about 4 sessions. My hip and shoulder joints were stiff and did not move or flow freely and my lower back was always a mess (a direct result of tight hamstrings, imagine that), and all have been rectified.

For me, massage therapy is like an interactive foam-rolling session.  I tell her what hurts, is tight or feels weird and she fixes it. Otherwise, if nothing is amiss it is basically like getting an oil change, filter and fluid top-off for your car, only it is maintenance for the body.

These people are intuitive and believe in the body's ability to heal or right itself. I cannot say with any certainty that it helps me race faster or better, but I can say without a doubt that there is a benefit there for runners and non-runners alike.

I didn't want to keep Tuesdailies going so I brought the quote here 

I really liked the "trigger point", she found a lot of the knots there and the really painfully tight ones were on my left side. After the back things had gotten fuzzy so I can't quite remember every knot, relieving those knots in my back really relaxed me. I am pretty sure I had a knot or two in my hip/buttcheek part or the side of my glutes and a few knots in my hamstrings. She even did my feet, that was cool lol.

I've actually been feeling more relief since Monday morning, I found two other stretches I can use once or twice a day. One is actually for my Bicep Femoris and the other is for my hips. Is there a certain or correct order to stretch? Like stretch the lower part first, or stretch from the hips/lower back and down to the feet? Just curious.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Zelanie

Good morning!  I have an easy 6-10 planned for after work tonight, depending upon time.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi.

4 miles recovery pace on tap for later. 10 easy done last night. It's nice when you notice your easy pace is getting faster. Smile

Bye.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Had a stupid vertigo episode this morning...not fun lying in bed watching the room spin around, getting more and more nauseous!  Thankfully it was only a short episode and I seem okay now.   However, I did take the day off today just to be safe.  Thankfully, my vertigo usually only kicks up when I am in certain PRONE positions and just about never kicks up when I am vertical, thank goodness.  Very weird.   My doc says if I have to have vertigo, I am actually one of the lucky ones because compared to some folks, mine is actually pretty mild.  Yeah, doesn't feel like that when it happens!  But I get what she's talking about, some people have it WAY worse than me and even end up in the hospital for a few days on IVs.  Well, I may try and go out for a short run/walk around the neighborhood later....I've found from past experience that this actually HELPS my head 'stabilize"..I have no idea why, but I will take whatever works.

Oh yeah....112!

That is now how many running routes I have in my San Antonio area, after going to the Y after work last night and doing a run/walk.  I started from the Y, went down a road I have not been on before, ended up getting a little bit lost, but managed to make a loop back to the Y, ended up with  3.3 miles done and a new route added to my list of running routes.  This one last night was quite hilly, so a good hill workout route.  Goes through a really nice neighborhood too, wide streets, beautiful houses, and along the way is a park with a very nice hike-and-bike trail.  Sweet.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

'Morning!  Boy, today's chill will harden those nipples, no doubt!  I've got an hour of easy running to do after work.  I'm still having a hard time figuring out how to dress in these temps.  I suppose I'd have it figured out by now if I didn't spend all of last winter on the treadmill.

Last night was 50 minutes easy (6.1 miles).  My paces have slowed a little but I have basically run nothing flat for weeks.  I miss my rail trail.  Considering all the hills I'm running though, I'm pretty happy with the speed of my easy runs.

Umm, not in my case, lol...I am one of the 10% of the male population that has what's called "inverted nipples."  In a way, I guess it's a blessing because I never get those 'bloody nipples' like some people do on a run.

Here you go, Baboon:  http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/content/content.jsp?contentId=200108

How to Layer in Winter

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I didn't want to keep Tuesdailies going so I brought the quote here 

I really liked the "trigger point", she found a lot of the knots there and the really painfully tight ones were on my left side. After the back things had gotten fuzzy so I can't quite remember every knot, relieving those knots in my back really relaxed me. I am pretty sure I had a knot or two in my hip/buttcheek part or the side of my glutes and a few knots in my hamstrings. She even did my feet, that was cool lol.

I've actually been feeling more relief since Monday morning, I found two other stretches I can use once or twice a day. One is actually for my Bicep Femoris and the other is for my hips. Is there a certain or correct order to stretch? Like stretch the lower part first, or stretch from the hips/lower back and down to the feet? Just curious.

Sounds like you found a good therapist, FreeSoul.  My wife goes twice a month.  She has been using the same person for years, loves her massage therapist and always comes home feeling very relaxed and much better....which is good for me too, lol.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Sounds like you found a good therapist, FreeSoul.  My wife goes twice a month.  She has been using the same person for years, loves her massage therapist and always comes home feeling very relaxed and much better....which is good for me too, lol.

Lol, I wouldn't mind going twice a month either. I figure a few weekly appointments will help tremendously,  then I will change it to twice a month or something like that.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Morning dailies!

Rick - hardcore core

Baboon - One of the top guys at the race was from CT and mentioned training on a rail trail.  I asked if he knew you, but he didn't.

Lily - plenty of time to get back at it after vacay

B+ - shake it off

D - knock 'em dead at court

Free - 'I really liked the "trigger point"'

Zel - have a good easy run

Jack - faster easy, sign of good things to come

Scotty - wow, that's a lot of routes.  Hope you feel less dizzy (or at least as dizzy as normal Smile)

After last night's minus degrees, we'll reach a balmy 19 degrees today, and the sun is shining.  Maybe a short recovery venture outside, then the Y later.  My legs aren't ready for quality yet.

PSA - although I'm a Powerade guy, the new cucumber Gatorade is *awesome*.

B-Plus

Cucumber? I still need to try that cucumber Pepsi sometime.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Morning dailies!

Free - 'I really liked the "trigger point"'

After last night's minus degrees, we'll reach a balmy 19 degrees today, and the sun is shining.  Maybe a short recovery venture outside, then the Y later.  My legs aren't ready for quality yet.

PSA - although I'm a Powerade guy, the new cucumber Gatorade is *awesome*.

I meant Deep Tissue Massage, I got stuck on the words she used.... not sure why trigger point would stay in my head beetter than deep tissue....

PRs