Beginners and Beyond

Warning re: Runfoolery / aka James Park or JHPark on RW (Read 1058 times)

Docket_Rocket

Kristin and Hey Doc: I can't believe he messaged you guys as well. Crazy.  I'm so glad this is all out in the open and being discussed.

Dave: Thank you so much for your kind words.  That meant a lot.  I appreciate it.

Beth: Uggh.  I can't even imagine.  How terrifying.  I am so sorry you went through that.

Eric knows about it and is exploring his options when it comes to keeping him off RA.  He asked me for any input I might have, and since I don't know anything about how to ban someone, I didn't offer any advice.  I just requested that he do all he could to keep him off RA.  For you techies, you have any suggestions in that regard, I am sure Eric would be open to hearing them.

I think somebody mentioned blocking the IP address he used to join here.  At least that will assure he won't come back with another user name.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

runmomto3boys

I am even sadder about how I am being treated behind the scenes for this, but whatever.  He has been exposed and it is what it is.  Now back to running...

I am even sadder about how I am being treated behind the scenes for this, but whatever.  He has been exposed and it is what it is.  Now back to running...

Wait, is he STILL harassing you?

runmomto3boys

Wait, is he STILL harassing you?

NO!  I'm dealing with all this garbage re: the reporting of the incident.  I am exhausted, hurt and sad.   This is just a mess.

NO!  I'm dealing with all this garbage re: the reporting of the incident.  I am exhausted, hurt and sad.   This is just a mess.

I'm so sorry. I hope you can find some time to relax tonight.

I am sorry that this is happening to people in these forums.  The other thing that I thought of is something that Beth's comments brought to mind....

Several threads such as 'show me your legs', 'hot abs', 'best feet', etc. are created with (I hope) the intent of having a bit of fun on the forums, however by doing so, whether you post pics of your family, feet, abs, ear lobes, ugly toes (sorry pet peeve of mine...I jokie joke) legs, etc. you are exposing a part of you (literally in some cases) which can be seen by thousands of people, and can copied, pasted, stored, stared at, etc. (you get the idea).  Things like this are really just an extension of your personal information.  Let people see how many miles you run in a week..cool.  Where you run those miles at?? 'Prolly' not a good idea.  Participate if you want, but don't be so naive to think that people who aren't part of these forums (and some who are) aren't copying these pictures.  I think this is one of the big lessons that needs to be learned from the unfortunate experience of Heidi, etc. 

Now...Jack Klompus please delete the e-mail and PMs that I sent to you.  I heard somewhere that PMs lead to sex.... (sorry, another jokey joke...no disrespect to the subject at hand).

I am sorry that this is happening to people in these forums.  The other thing that I thought of is something that Beth's comments brought to mind....

Several threads such as 'show me your legs', 'hot abs', 'best feet', etc. are created with (I hope) the intent of having a bit of fun on the forums, however by doing so, whether you post pics of your family, feet, abs, ear lobes, ugly toes (sorry pet peeve of mine...I jokie joke) legs, etc. you are exposing a part of you (literally in some cases) which can be seen by thousands of people, and can copied, pasted, stored, stared at, etc. (you get the idea).  Things like this are really just an extension of your personal information.  Let people see how many miles you run in a week..cool.  Where you run those miles at?? 'Prolly' not a good idea.  Participate if you want, but don't be so naive to think that people who aren't part of these forums (and some who are) aren't copying these pictures.  I think this is one of the big lessons that needs to be learned from the unfortunate experience of Heidi, etc. 

Now...Jack Klompus please delete the e-mail and PMs that I sent to you.  I heard somewhere that PMs lead to sex.... (sorry, another jokey joke...no disrespect to the subject at hand).

I sort of agree with this, in the sense that while we want to think this is a private little community, it’s not. Anyone can right-click your photos and post them to whatever perv site they want to. Running routes are a little different, depending on where you live, I guess. I have no problem saying that I’m going to be in Central Park with 1,000 other runners, but only my husband knows what route I’ll be on.

Nevrgivup

Conspiracy theory the movie comes to mind with this. I have been super thoughtful with stuff I post including "my legs" pictures.  This brings up a great point 26. I get kind-of freaked out with people posting innocent pictures of their small children. There are a lot of creeps out there. 

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Chairman

You did the right thing, and I think this will be a better group for it. Personally, I can deal with trolls and morons. Sometimes they are even entertaining. But creeping around seems like a good place to draw the line. 

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

happylily

There is no reason that I can think of as to why someone would say ANYTHING bad to you for talking about all of this. This is all upside down. I hate it when victims are made to feel guilty for seeking help or warning others. It makes me really angry. Hugs to you, Heidi, you did well today.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Kristin and Hey Doc: I can't believe he messaged you guys as well. Crazy.  I'm so glad this is all out in the open and being discussed.

Dave: Thank you so much for your kind words.  That meant a lot.  I appreciate it.

Beth: Uggh.  I can't even imagine.  How terrifying.  I am so sorry you went through that.

Eric knows about it and is exploring his options when it comes to keeping him off RA.  He asked me for any input I might have, and since I don't know anything about how to ban someone, I didn't offer any advice.  I just requested that he do all he could to keep him off RA.  For you techies, if you have any suggestions in that regard, I am sure Eric would be open to hearing them.

I'm glad, too.  Thank you for bringing it to light.  You did the right thing and I'm sorry you're now dealing with crap because of it.  ((hugs!))

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

Mr MattM

One of the issues with blocking IP addresses is that often users are coming in from a corporate network... particularly during the day.  In those cases the IP address being logged is the corporate gateway address, so blocking it effectively blocks everyone in the company.

I think that users just need to be vigilant and report any creepy behavior that makes them uncomfortable... certainly if someone continues to communicate with you (or about you) after you've indicated that it's unwelcome... it needs to be dealt with.  It's harassment, plain and simple.

be curious; not judgmental

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

To me, it's one thing to joke in public forum where everyone can see and have a laugh.

Yes, this is what I tend to do with the ladies on the forum.   I've been around for quite a while with a lot of you on the RWOL forums, and so most of you know my history, and know I joke around with a lot of you about Great Legs and so forth, but most of you also know my wife Gail and that she is the love of my life.   I love - platonically, of course - and admire  all you forum ladies and would never intentionally offend, hurt or abuse you.  I hope I never have in the past, either.   And I would NEVER do that creepy PM thing.  So if I EVER say something to you that you do find offensive believe me it is not intentional.  Gail says you all have her permission to have what she calls "Slap Authority" to keep me in line, so PLEASE feel free to use that authority and give me a WHACK and let me know I have offended you, so I can profusely apologize to you and never do it again.   I would never offend anyone here - especially the lovely ladies - which ALL of you are to me - in any way.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Nevrgivup

As we speak about this, my thread on legs is getting weirder. Surprised

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Chairman

As we speak about this, my thread on legs is getting weirder. Surprised

They always do in the end ... 

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey