Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race 78: San Antonio Roadrunners Endurathon 5K, 15K, 30K (Read 3 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20race%20reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2077%20Battle%20of%20Leon%20Creek%205K/2018%20Race%20Number%2078%20Endurathon%205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 78th race of 2018 was the Endurathon 5K on Nov 11.  Put on by the San Antonio Roadrunners, the largest and oldest running club in San Antonio, the main races for this event are the 30K and the 15K.  I think the 30K and 15K also had a 2-person relay option too, if I remember correctly.  The 5K was added this year, which was nice, so old fogies like me who can’t run distance anymore can participate too.  Location was at the Bulverde TX community center.  Bulverde is a small community in Comal County, located about a 30-minute drive from where I live near the San Antonio airport.  The 5K was the last event to start, at 8:15 a.m., with the 15K starting at 8 a.m. and the 30K starting at 7:30 a.m.   I arrived at race site at about 7:15 a.m., got my timing chip, and then wandered around getting a few pre-start photos.

Welcome to the Endurathon 30K, 15K, and 5K on Nov 11, 2018.  Happy Veterans Day and thank you for your service to all my fellow veterans.

photo IMG_5421_zps602rue1m.jpg

Our MC, Bob, who did his usual great job

photo IMG_5384_zpstduvgaui.jpg

Music and sound man

photo IMG_5385_zpsierojdno.jpg

My friends Whit the Human and Chance the dog who, when he sees me, comes right over, cuz he knows I have treats for him.

photo IMG_5386_zpsvqkcradh.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, supporters....

photo IMG_5387_zps8afpyyy8.jpg

photo IMG_5388_zps2qroanfj.jpg

photo IMG_5389_zpsdtey2wfd.jpg

photo IMG_5390_zpskznyi8nr.jpg

photo IMG_5392_zpsntedatdy.jpg

photo IMG_5393_zpsmow1w7kx.jpg

photo IMG_5394_zpscplryiez.jpg

photo IMG_5395_zpslvpkrcby.jpg

photo IMG_5397_zpsbdsea3v5.jpg

Getting ready to start

photo IMG_5396_zps2ld6q3th.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Compared to the 5K I had done on Nov 10, the weather was much nicer.  No wind, thank goodness, and a bit warmer than Saturday, with temps in the low 50s.  Very cloudy and overcast as rain was predicted to move in for Sunday night.  It was actually pretty good running weather.  After getting rid of a dry, warm shirt I had under my race shirt – saving that to keep warm for after the race – I felt just fine running in my short-sleeved tech shirt, as long as I kept moving. The 30K AND 15K folks had pretty hill courses from what participants told me after.  The majority of the 5K course was pretty flat most of the way.  We started from the community center parking lot, went down a hill, turned onto the main road of Bulverde, went down and incline and then went toward town on a pretty flat route.  This was an open road so we had to watch out for traffic. The drivers I saw at any given point where I was were pretty polite and patient about it all and slowed and made way for us.  After getting to a turn-round point, we went back the way we had come out.  This, of course, resulted in that downhill start and downhill incline now being up before we finished, but it was not a very long climb, especially compared to what the other races had to deal with. I ended up with a chip time of 34:01 and was happy with that.  No awards except for the top 3 males and females in each race, but results were posted for everyone to see their times.

Bulverde is very rural, and a pretty small town, so we had 'country road' views along our route

photo IMG_5398_zps1qsvdtao.jpg

photo IMG_5400_zpsbl3hvqtu.jpg

photo IMG_5401_zpsqbblvtfm.jpg

photo IMG_5402_zpsifrxfpiq.jpg

photo IMG_5403_zpsmwb3e8ql.jpg

photo IMG_5404_zpsqb4axizq.jpg

I believe this was the first 5K guy, heading to the finish

photo IMG_5405_zps1uscukw9.jpg

Heading into Bulverde to get to our turn-round point

photo IMG_5406_zpszjokesrb.jpg

Looking behind me.  This is how it was for a lot of the course.  Runners on the road, with vehicles sometimes near us.  As said previously, from what I saw the drivers were pretty polite, cautious and patient about it all.

photo IMG_5407_zpsh6ocmrl6.jpg

photo IMG_5408_zpsiw9cm8k1.jpg

photo IMG_5409_zpsyz0x1hla.jpg

Water stop.   This was a bit after the turn-round point, on the way to the finish.  Bummer, they did not have any beer there.  Wink

photo IMG_5410_zps1r3i29cw.jpg

photo IMG_5411_zpskeyxbu4o.jpg

Heading to the finish now, and looking behind me. Back out onto the open road

photo IMG_5412_zpsqjhwmozi.jpg

After I finished, got a pic of my friend Daniel coming in

photo IMG_5413_zpsx0yf5dwl.jpg

And a couple more coming in

photo IMG_5417_zps7abuoy3i.jpg

This lady I was in proximity with for most of the course.

photo IMG_5418_zpsimkt0u65.jpg

photo IMG_5419_zpscuudnxwc.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

First thing: go find the dry shirt I had left at the start/finish area and got that back on.   Ahh, much better.  Some really nice post-race goodies including some kind of frito pie, lots of various fruits, cookies (my favorite dessert, lol; I had two), and also lots of water, various types of soda…and Shiner Bock beer, nice.  Munching on my cookie and drinking my beer, I wandered around getting some after-photos of the happy finishers, volunteers, supporters, etc.

Happy Veteran's Day.  A few of us dressed accordingly, including these two volunteers I was with post-race. I also had on my USA flag socks.

photo IMG_5415_zpsgorkk0d3.jpg

MC Bob announcing the incoming runners while Raf of iaap does the timing and results

photo IMG_5416_zpsiwpol69d.jpg

My speedy friend Don (left) with another speedy fellow.  You think I do a lot of races?  This was Don's 84th race of the year or there-about.  He is shooting to do 100 races this year.

photo IMG_5420_zpsps09ipnr.jpg

Happy finishers

photo IMG_5425_zpsio1ro0gg.jpg

photo IMG_5426_zpswxr030gc.jpg

Thank you volunteers/sponsors

photo IMG_5427_zpsndza7foz.jpg

Yay beer!

photo IMG_5428_zpsyswga1c4.jpg

More happy finishers, etc.

photo IMG_5430_zpsqkdgnckh.jpg

photo IMG_5436_zpspelxmwcn.jpg

photo IMG_5433_zpsebqfrhu5.jpg

Two happy finishers and a volunteer... nice sweatshirt...go Cougars!

photo IMG_5435_zps6wffumai.jpg

My friend Kim did the 15K

photo IMG_5431_zpsfqfvijho.jpg

Show us your shoes! lol.

photo IMG_5432_zpsm1w5azvt.jpg

I believe these were the crazy ones....   30K people if I remember correctly

photo IMG_5434_zpspkddtsxb.jpg

photo IMG_5437_zpsgslpc6cy.jpg

Hey, friend Don!  I found your doppelganger!

photo IMG_5438_zpskqghntmb.jpg

EPILOGUE

San Antonio Roadrunners put on some really quality events and this one was no exception.  Really nice long-sleeved race shirts, nice 5K course – and probably challenging courses for the longer runs – and very nice after-party with lots of goodies and an open community center where you could pop in every once in a while to get out of the weather and get warmed up a bit and sit and relax.  I would certainly do this 5K again in the future and would recommend it to others.

Thanks to all the people that made this one happen for us; San Antonio Roadrunners board, staff, and all the volunteers and the event sponsors,  iaapweb local race management company for the timing and results; law enforcement out there for us, the bike EMT folks watching out for all the participants, ready to be there for us if necessary (thankfully, it was not necessary as far as I know) and all the sponsors and vendors and anyone else whom I may not have mentioned here.  Thank you all for making this one happen for we participants.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt