Beginners and Beyond

It's hot out there, Friday penguins! (Read 29 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

Morning!  I think my dog Mia inhaled a grass seed yesterday, so I'm waiting around for the vet to open so I can get her in.  She is waiting around for breakfast, which she won't be getting in case they need to sedate her.  Actually, she's under my desk at the moment, which she never does.

Yesterday I was the slowest one at the social run, so that's two days in a row.  I did have a group running with me, but I hated the feeling like they'd all be running faster if I weren't there!  Part of the deal is that there weren't a lot of people there with the heat.  Also, I was feeling yesterday's track workout.  Oh well, there are going to be days like that, right?

If everything goes smoothly today, I'll get in to the vet, get my classroom cleaned out, and run 4 recovery miles.  We will see, though.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Nothing new here.  Still sick.  I'll go to the doctor if I'm not better by Monday but I usually like to give my body at least a week to get a handle on things.  I saw Jurassic World last night with DH because his firm had a private screening - with unlimited free movie food - certainly what I deserve having run approximately 3 miles this week   It was okay and would certainly be scary to me at 8.  I think that's how old I was when the original Jurassic Park came out in theaters.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  I have 5 recovery miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Another toasty morning in Texas, but I did have a slight breeze so that helped. 8 done this morning.

Zel I'm always the slowest person at my group practice.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Our chorus had a noon gig yesterday, so I took the day off work, which was quite nice.  Although I was doing some long-distance troubleshooting, so I was probably communicating as much with work peeps as if I'd been there!  More troubleshooting today, oh well.  PT is still going well, although my knee pain seems to have kind of plateaued at "not bad at all, but still there."  Le sigh ...

Zelanie -- hope everything goes smoothly today!!

sapf -- sorry you're still feeling icky!!

Docket -- have a good 5!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your breezy 8!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

PAD- You are right, I was just having a whiny moment I guess.

Mia is spending the day at the vet so they can sedate her and try to get the grass seed out. If they can't, then we will need to go to the University vet clinic.

GinnyinPA

Lauren - read about your kitty.  I'm sorry.

Z - how can you tell your dog inhaled a grass seed?  Coughing?  I hope Zoe is okay.  Is school finished?

sapf - I hope you get over your cold soon.

D - good luck with your recovery this evening.

PAD - good job on the early miles.

HM - I hope you get caught up at work.  Not feeling real pain is sometimes as good as it gets.  It's a lot better than it used to be anyway.

AFM:  Very hot today (temps in the 90's, DP of 68) so I'll do a few miles on the TM later.  I haven't run since Sunday.  We got caught in some severe thunderstorms (including a tornado warning in our area) on Monday as we drove north and they continued off and on all day Tuesday, so we didn't head out on our 3 day backpack trip as planned.  Instead we ended up combining trail clearing with an overnight backpack trip.  Not many miles, but clearing downed branches from the trail and lopping branches, saplings and briars as we hiked was a very good workout.

tracilynn

Morning penguins

I don't go to group runs but if I did, I would be the slowest one too and I'm much slower than Zel.

I did 4.3 M this morning. I'm still doing intervals of 2 mins run 1 min walk. Will move up to 3:1 next week.

TGIF

~~~~~~~

Traci

From the Internet.

Morning pens. Kitty is hanging in there - prednisone seems to have perked her up a bit. I'm finally done crying my eyes out every day, just making the most of whatever time we have left.

I ended up at work much longer than I had planned yesterday so another rest day. That makes THREE of those this week! Unheard of! D:

Ran 10 with quality this morning - 2 mile warmup, 1 mile at tempo on the road in 8:15, about a minute jog right into 6x800 on the track with full lap recoveries. I was worried that I'd be slow after running exactly one workout post-race, and that was nearly a month ago at this point, but was pleasantly surprised - guess running a bunch of miles this spring is doing what it's supposed to do! First 800 I screwed up by hitting stop instead of lap at the start but I estimate that it was ~3:40, the rest of them were 3:37, 3:38, 3:40, 3:37, 3:30-high. That last one I had trouble gauging my effort since I surged past 2 separate people in the first 100 meters who decided that walking/slow jogging in lane 1 was a good idea - felt like I was moving in slow motion the first half of the second lap.

Zel - hope they can get the grass seed out! Sounds very uncomfortable, poor pup D:

Singer who runs a smidge

HM - I hope you get caught up at work.  Not feeling real pain is sometimes as good as it gets.  It's a lot better than it used to be anyway.

Amen, sistah!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Ginny, she was playing in the tall grass yesterday evening with DD, and when she came out, she was sneezing hard. Hard enough to make her nose bleed. Them she calmed down until all the vets closed last night.  Since then, she's been having major sneezing fits about once or twice an hour. She sneezes so hard that she hits her head on the floor.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Ran 3 easy miles in new shoes I got last night (Brooks Defyance). Thought they were great in the store but didn't feel so great while running Sad may need to take them back and try something else.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

From the Internet.

Oh man. Big deep breaths. Kitty has been on pred for 24 hours and she's acting OK, she was before anyway, but breathing still looks difficult for her. Vet does not have an appointment today. Unless she magically looks less sad when I get up tomorrow morning, I will be sending my sweet girl to rest at 11:45 AM tomorrow morning. I just can't keep playing guessing games about whether she's really ready or not when it's hard to watch her breathe after walking across the room, and though it hurts immensely I would rather let her go peacefully a few days early than force her to hang on a few days too long and have regrets.

Zelanie

Lauren, so sorry. I think you are doing the right thing for her. And I've had the experience of "too early" and "too late" with my pets, and too late was much worse.