Beginners and Beyond

Hey, TUESDAILIES, Get Crackin'! (Read 49 times)

BruceD555

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I ought to taper for my HM on May 26? I'm not following a training program, just doing a LR on Sundays and easy runs the rest of the time.

I've gotten into a run 7 days a week habit so you may need to temper my schedule for your preferences. I personally like to have at least one day off during race week ... this last one I actually took 2 days off just because of dinner out for my b-day. So, it was me getting ready for a HM it would be something like this (I left the distances out except for Tu):

M - Easy miles

Tu - Dress Rehearsal ~5 miles with 2 @ goal pace. (Wear/carry what you plan to use on race day)

W - Recovery miles

Th -  Recovery miles with 5x100 strides (I took this day off instead)

Fr - Off

Sa - Recovery miles with 4x100 strides

Su - Run like crazy!!

Train smart ... race smarter.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

ANYWAY I was up at 4 am and got my Resting Metabolic Rate tested today (to see if I have recovered after overtraining).  RMR is always going to be a higher number than BMR, btw.  Anyway, it spit out 1420, which is normal, so YAY.  Whew.

Soooo here is my mileage for the past month:

First week of April: 45 min pool run (+ 4 hours of biking and 2.5 hours lifting)

Second week: 10 miles running (+ 2 hours biking and 2.5 hours lifting)

Third week: 4 miles running due to sore plantar (+ 3 hours biking and 2.5 lifting)

Fourth week: 22+ miles running (!) (+ 40 min biking and 2.5 lifting)

Then yesterday I did 5 miles.  So today is a rest day.  Because I think I jumped back into running a little quickly, though the bright side is I am still pretty fast, so obviously low mileage doesn't kill my ability to hold a 6:35 pace or sprint decently.

How'd you get your RMR tested?  They had the Bod Pod testing at the race expo Sunday, so I took advantage of that to get my RMR too.  It came out at 1,842...definitely a good amount of food.  I was also thrilled to find out my body fat was 6.9% as I'd never really had it calculated before.

Looks like that was a tough month as far as running goes, but at least you got some other good work in.  A 6:35 pace is still awesome too.

Jack...Doesn't that post race pain make you laugh a little, or is it just me?

Beth..Jezzy is still looking lovely!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

delicate flower

Phil - happy almost vacation!  Bring me back something good.

I need to find Mr. Oski a Run Disney shirt.....

<3

Hip Redux

I need to find Mr. Oski a Run Disney shirt.....

Heh!

But we were talking about ME, so let's no lose focus here.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

11.5. So 352.2 for the month.

Marjorie

B-Plus

I've gotten into a run 7 days a week habit so you may need to temper my schedule for your preferences. I personally like to have at least one day off during race week ... this last one I actually took 2 days off just because of dinner out for my b-day. So, it was me getting ready for a HM it would be something like this (I left the distances out except for Tu):

M - Easy miles

Tu - Dress Rehearsal ~5 miles with 2 @ goal pace. (Wear/carry what you plan to use on race day)

W - Recovery miles

Th -  Recovery miles with 5x100 strides (I took this day off instead)

Fr - Off

Sa - Recovery miles with 4x100 strides

Su - Run like crazy!!

This is pretty much what I'll be doing this week for half on Sunday.

Page 3 already! I'll have to catch up later. I'm feeling quite refreshed after sleeping for pretty much 3 days straight. I'll run after work today ... probably some easy miles with some HMP thrown in (as above).

Docket_Rocket

I'm only going to do their inaugural marathon, so a long weekend.

And yes, I think it's hilarious. She didn't throw up; she just looks like she was going to.  I am peeved because she kept blocking the finish line for me and the pics!  And then she stopped and I almost ram into her.  Sheesh.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

I went to a medical testing center but their main apparatus was broken, so I used the MedGem... thus, I'm not at all certain of its accuracy, but as long as it's ballpark, right?  I wish I'd have gotten my BF% tested, too, but that would have cost money.  I have had it done before, when I was excessively lean (13%)... so I know that was TOO low!  I'm about 7-10 lb heaver now (not entirely happy about that, though some actually is muscle as I've added 45 lb to my squat... but whatever) so probably 20%, maybe a little less.  Trying to get it down now that I can run more.

YOUR body fat percentage is INSANE!  You must have a six-pack.  That's like competitive bodybuilder level if it's accurate.

How'd you get your RMR tested?  They had the Bod Pod testing at the race expo Sunday, so I took advantage of that to get my RMR too.  It came out at 1,842...definitely a good amount of food.  I was also thrilled to find out my body fat was 6.9% as I'd never really had it calculated before.

Looks like that was a tough month as far as running goes, but at least you got some other good work in.  A 6:35 pace is still awesome too.

Jack...Doesn't that post race pain make you laugh a little, or is it just me?

Beth..Jezzy is still looking lovely!

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

SIAR: You and me both. DW and I laughed at each other as we fell out of bed!  It hurts, but it's one of those "hurts so good" things. Smile

StepbyStep-SH

Wacky morning run: 2.25 miles around the neighborhood before lightning sent me inside; spent 20 minutes doing core and strength work; then back out for another 2.25 after the storm blew over. Might try to get out for a few more miles later, but I have a little boy home with a fever, so not sure if it will happen or not.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I went to a medical testing center but their main apparatus was broken, so I used the MedGem... thus, I'm not at all certain of its accuracy, but as long as it's ballpark, right?  I wish I'd have gotten my BF% tested, too, but that would have cost money.  I have had it done before, when I was excessively lean (13%)... so I know that was TOO low!  I'm about 7-10 lb heaver now (not entirely happy about that, though some actually is muscle as I've added 45 lb to my squat... but whatever) so probably 20%, maybe a little less.  Trying to get it down now that I can run more.

YOUR body fat percentage is INSANE!  You must have a six-pack.  That's like competitive bodybuilder level if it's accurate.

I'm sure your results were pretty close.  Did they give you the factors for activity level then?  Mine said to multiply 1.28 for sedentary, 1.51 for low active, 1.74 for active, and 2.08 for very active to figure out what you can eat.  That's a lot of calories to consume!

They were only charging $20 for the Pod so that's why I went for it.  Boys have it much easier than girls when it comes to the BF%, that's for sure.  As for competitive bodybuilder level..it may be that level, but I sure don't look like one!  My body, especially upper body, just can't pack on any muscle.  And when it comes to the abs, my upper ones are okay but my lower abs are pretty weak.  I guess we all nit-pick though, and I was happy to find that all the running has been doing me good.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

11.5. So 352.2 for the month.

Holy $&@#

Do you have any races planned, or do you just run?

Dave

LRB

Went out a few hours later and OMGness! I think I'll take my chances with the lightning as opposed to all the cars and people! A woman came up right behind me and honked her horn when she was ~20 feet away. I gave her the universal "what the?" look as she drove past. Then she had to stop at the stop sign so I ran up alongside her car and shook my head and my finger and told her "that was unnecessary". She looked a little scared. I laughed a little.

That's crazy.  She almost made you get your Wayne Brady on!

Scap, any combination of those three miles would have been a 5k PR for me last year, this year, not so much.  ; )

B, try the final week in the Daniels marathon A plan.  That is what I will be doing based on his comments regarding it.

Supp O!

Hope it works out for you Ami!

Good luck Pink!

Congrats on getting back out there Spark and Rob!

Scotty, arf, arf!

What up doe to everyone else!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Right now, I think it is a combo of the weekend I had (charity event til late Friday night then wedding til late Saturday night) then getting home from work at 9:45pm last night....plus allergies. They're horrible for me right now, and allergy medicine makes me soooo drowsy. Hoping that is all it is and that I can get my run in tomorrow.... it is hard to do it after work because I get home late, am usually starving and zapped, plus tgat means TM which I am not a fan.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Ball of Fury

Thanks everyone for the good vibes!

SIAR:  I consider it good news, especially since I can run at least a little!

Oski:  Yikes...hope these injections don't affect me that way!  I am pretty sore today but otherwise ok.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15