Beginners and Beyond

Hey, TUESDAILIES, Get Crackin'! (Read 49 times)

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Where do you think you'll stay in OBX?  I love it down there, especially Corolla.  We've rented a house in the Curricuck Club down there a few times and it's been great.

We haven't decided yet. We will rent a home beach front probably In Nags Head Duck or Kitty Hawk.  We are making it a vacation and seeing friends in that part of NC while we are there. Will also pop up to see friends in VA Beach.

Marjorie

DaveP MI, that kind of run builds character=Smile

BruceD555, I understand. I felt the same side effects when I was in Israel. I threw a major taper tantrum.

Coworker and supervisor asked me more than a week ago if I would go to work early today because coworker had a doctor's appointment this morning. Fine. With even a week's notice, I can plan things. I arrived at work; coworker was there. Her doctor cancelled the appointment. She didn't think to tell me that she would be at work as usual and that didn't need to be there. So, in addition to the commute being easy, I had another extra hour on my hands. I said, "Great, you're here, I'll go out for a little run before I have to be at work." I put on my sunglasses and earbuds and hightailed it out of there. She was shocked.

This afternoon, she called to ask if I can go to work early tomorrow, so she can see her dentist. I said no, that I can't. She said, "Really? You can't?" Our supervisor backed me on my saying no.

The bloody nerve of her.

Jess runs for bacon

We haven't decided yet. We will rent a home beach front probably In Nags Head Duck or Kitty Hawk.  We are making it a vacation and seeing friends in that part of NC while we are there. Will also pop up to see friends in VA Beach.

Please go to my aunt's restaurant Hurricane Mo's and tell her that her niece Jessica sent you. Also, if you haven't yet you must pretend you are three and roll down the sand dunes.

Jess runs for bacon

Jerk. Her, not you obviously.

DaveP MI, that kind of run builds character=Smile

BruceD555, I understand. I felt the same side effects when I was in Israel. I threw a major taper tantrum.

Coworker and supervisor asked me more than a week ago if I would go to work early today because coworker had a doctor's appointment this morning. Fine. With even a week's notice, I can plan things. I arrived at work; coworker was there. Her doctor cancelled the appointment. She didn't think to tell me that she would be at work as usual and that didn't need to be there. So, in addition to the commute being easy, I had another extra hour on my hands. I said, "Great, you're here, I'll go out for a little run before I have to be at work." I put on my sunglasses and earbuds and hightailed it out of there. She was shocked.

This afternoon, she called to ask if I can go to work early tomorrow, so she can see her dentist. I said no, that I can't. She said, "Really? You can't?" Our supervisor backed me on my saying no.

The bloody nerve of her.

delicate flower

Fly-by update...

Great workout today.  45 hard minutes on the elliptical and a 40 minute leg workout.  I really pushed hard on the weights since it'll probably be a week before I can do that again.  I also did 10 minutes of slow jog/walk on the treadmill since I was feeling uppity.  Sushi for dinner!

<3

LRB

I also did 10 minutes of slow jog/walk on the treadmill since I was feeling uppity.

So you ran again then?

BruceD555

Well you asked for it! Here's what you get from stream-of-consciousness typing. Now, if you don't hurry up and write a real RR, I'll be forced to create a bogus account for you and post it as a real topic. Wink

This made me laugh a LOT.

Also, I would read RecoveryBruce's RR on my behalf.

Hi, my name is Apri1Runner and here’s my race report for my latest HM. I trained throughout the winter with this as my goal race for the spring. I ran the same half marathon last year and had high hopes for a big PR this time around.

The evening before the race I was supposed to meet friends at 9:00 at a little Italian restaurant for some fun and the necessary carb loading. I had been drinking water continuously during the day to get fully hydrated and that meant I had to make a quick potty stop at the rest area along the interstate. The bad news was that as I was in the bathroom, I dropped my cell phone mid-flush and by now my iPhone is half way down the Delaware River. That meant I couldn’t call my friends to let them know I was running late. Oh well, at least I had the address for the restaurant.

So, I got back in the car and plugged the address into my Garmin Nuvi and headed down the road. Unfortunately my GPS was stuck in French and it must have also been malfunctioning because I ended up driving around Philly for three hours before getting hopelessly lost in Chinatown. It was now after midnight and I really needed to get something to eat before the morning’s race so I stopped in at a little hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant to get some fried rice and shrimp – it’s not pasta but it’s still carbs, right?

The old lady was nice enough behind the counter but I’m not sure she completely understood what I was trying to order. I got back to my car just as it started to rain and decided to just eat dinner in the parking lot before heading back home. The food looked a little like fried rice but it sure didn’t taste like shrimp. I was famished so I wolfed it down anyway and drank another quart of water.

Well, I punched in Go Home on the Nuvi and followed the directions back to the interstate as best as my high-school French would allow. After another long 2 hours, I was FINALLY nearing home and decided to take a shortcut rather than driving the longer distance on the interstate. So, I hopped off and took the county road that would take me near the race course on the way home. Things were going pretty good when all of a sudden the car started chugging and the engine died. As I coasted to the side of the road I realized that I had been so concentrated on listening and translating the directions that I forgot to pay attention to the gas gauge – out of gas, how embarrassing! Now, I’m stuck in my car

It was at this point that I realized I was only about a couple of miles away from the race starting line but at least 15 miles from home. The clock read 1:26 AM and even if I did make it home tonight I would only get an a couple hours of sleep before I needed to leave for the race. Heck, for that little sleep I might as well sleep in the car. Besides I had all my race clothes because I wanted to show my friends the new running skirt, tank and coordinating arm warmers that I got from RunningWarehouse with my FB discount.

So, I hopped into the back seat and quickly drifted off to sleep. I woke up to the sound of my Garmin alarm at 6:00 and quickly changed into my race gear … making sure to drink a bit more water to top off my hydration. The weather was beautiful outside and the sun was just starting to come up. It would be a great day of racing and I would have an awesome story to tell on RA!

It was an easy two mile warm up run over to the school where the race would start and by the time I arrived I was able to get right to the port-o-potty without any lines. What a great start after such a lousy night. Well, things went well and pretty soon I found myself in the starting corral waiting for the gun. They held a moment of silence for Boston and soon we were off an running.

Miles 1-4

The first few miles went great and I was motoring along right at my goal pace. The sun was out and there was almost no wind … running felt effortless at this point. We crossed the side road that I had ran down earlier that morning from my car and I think that I stopped for water around the 3 mile mark.

Miles 5-10

We were still running along the county road when the first rumbles started in my stomach. It started in low and then started to grow louder and louder. Pretty soon other runners were turning and looking at me wondering what that sound was. Thankfully, there was a row of port-o-potties just after the water station at mile 8 and I ducked into the first one. Now, I won’t go into details, but let’s just say that whatever I got from the Chinese restaurant definitely was NOT shrimp. Oh my goodness! Finally, I managed to get myself together and exit the plastic death house. I felt a little better and started to pick up pace again until the rumbles came back. This time I had to dash behind a row of pine trees because there was no port-o-potty in sight. Ugghhhh. Thus went miles 8, 9 and 10. It was a mad dash to run as far as I could until needing to take refuge in an available port-o-potty or behind a shrubbery.

Miles 11-13.1

In case you think the final miles to my race were any different … well, you’d be wrong. I think I managed to stop at EVERY SINGLE PORT-O-POTTY along the entire race course from mile 8 until the end … heck I even created a number of my own. At about mile 11.5 some guys were handing out cups of beer and I pounded down several … best tasting beer EVER. Finally, mercifully I entered the home stretch and crossed the line with a miserable time that I won’t even share with you guys.

Sorry, there are no pictures.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Hip Redux

I am soooooo glad RecoveryBruce is as hilarious as TaperBruce. lol

Well you asked for it! Here's what you get from stream-of-consciousness typing. Now, if you don't hurry up and write a real RR, I'll be forced to create a bogus account for you and post it as a real topic. Wink

April - so I guess the moral of the story is it could have been WAY WORSE.   Surprised

Pinktastic

April - sorry that the race was so incredibly bad for you!!  Cross the Chinese place off your list of restaurants for pre-run carb loading.    May you run better in your next race!!

RecoveryBruce - just as witty as TaperBruce!!  Loved it!!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Hip Redux

Fly-by update...

Great workout today.  45 hard minutes on the elliptical and a 40 minute leg workout.  I really pushed hard on the weights since it'll probably be a week before I can do that again.  I also did 10 minutes of slow jog/walk on the treadmill since I was feeling uppity.  Sushi for dinner!

Still favoring the knee a bit or no?

I managed 2 miles of recovery up and down my street, which is still 200 feet of climbing... so sorta recovery and sorta not.    At some point, a lady on a bike waved and knew my name so I spent most of the time trying to figure out who the eff she was and why she knew me lol

delicate flower

So you ran again then?

It was more like part of my PT than a run.  My PT sessions would usually end with 7-10 minutes of light cardio.  So to answer your question, "Not really."  Shuffle, walk, shuffle, walk.

Oski, I was not favoring the knee today.  It felt great.

<3

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

April/Bruce...aren't you glad you shared that? It was so sad it was funny. You were a real trooper, and quite a pooper! You'll get the next one.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

YAYpril - B-Plus

Oh my god, I'm dying. Can't breathe.

Hip Redux

You were a real trooper, and quite a pooper! .

This might be my favorite line, ever.  OMG.

Rondog65

Hello All,

Ami great news on the MRI, know at least you know where to focus your attention.

Sarah hoping the best for you on your MRI.

Basya that is great that you have a 150 mile month PR, outstanding.

Damaris great photo and story.

April hang in there, hoping you feel better.

Marjorie, 352.2 miles in a month, just wow.

Lilac great news on winning an entry into the Half Marathon.

Dave great job on shattering your monthly PR with 184 miles, incredible miles being posted this month.

April/Bruce great RR if we can’t read the real thing than that is the next best thing.

Wishing everyone the best.

I have been quite in the Dailies as I hurt my foot last week and had to take a few runs off to recover.  Decided to try out the feet today with a 4.6 mile run.  I survived and the feet didn’t fall off.  Not recovered but I don’t think I made it worse.  Not sure if I will do my scheduled “Run To The Top” on Saturday, will see how the week goes.  Got to keep the eyes on the prize, my Half Marathon at the end of May.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)