Beginners and Beyond

Coy Penguin Wednesdays (Read 17 times)

Brilliant

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

This guy is a sneaky one:

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Jill, hope you have recovered well from yesterday!

Not sure if I'll run/how far today, and I'm not being coy!  I'm tired and wondering if I should be listening to my body instead of listening to a running schedule.  

hog4life

I ended up with just a walk with DW yesterday of 3.4 miles. Today I will go for a slow and easy jog.

PADRunner

Morning.

My run was cut a little short. I had to call 911 for an accident. A car got ran off the road into a brick wall. Driver seemed to be ok.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Probably a rest day for me.  I have my followup exam today and then a couple of students.  I won't run before my followup exam, but maybe once I get home from work if I'm feeling motivated I'll do a couple of easy miles on the TM.

My eyes hurt a bit and my vision isn't as good as it was with glasses before, but I think that it'll just take some time to heal.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Morning. I have a run today and I am being cou, I guess.

sapf, it will get better. Having said that, the doctors cannot promise 20/20 because it depends on your eyes but he should have more info for you today. I am at 20/15 and 20/20 since the surgery but I didn't get here until the eyes healed. But even getting out of the office and looking at signs was better than my minus 6 vision.

PAD, glad to hear he was OK.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

PAD- Scary!  Glad you were there to make the call.

sapf- I bet you'll feel better after a bit!

Hi, everyone else!

From the Internet.

Morning!

I ran some miles before husband left for work. Now I'm home with a sick kid - someone didn't wash her damn hands at her after school program, came home COVERED in dirt and had been eating snacks with her gross dirt hands, so obviously she threw up a good 4 or 5 times before I even got out of bed this morning. She's OK now, hopefully back to school tomorrow!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  DH had a fiasco of a day yesterday with my 90k mileage car service.  I think it took them about 3 hours, and I don't know what all they did.  I do know I have four new tires, though, which is nice.  After 90k miles, DH said they were looking a little thin ...
                    Quartet rehearsal tonight!!

Brilliant -- have a good RUL!  Sometimes backing off can be a good thing, but I'm prone to letting my body talk me into sitting on the couch.  Some people are born runners, I'm a born couch potato!

hog -- the walk sounds nice, enjoy today's jog!!

PAD -- eek, that's a little too much adventure!!  Hope the driver was ok, and glad you were there!!

sapf -- RD sounds good, glad your recovery seems to be going well!!

Docket -- have a good run of some length!!  (I'm guessing 11 miles ...)

Zelanie -- good morning!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Lauren -- hope the kiddo feels better, and learns her lesson!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Morning.

My run was cut a little short. I had to call 911 for an accident. A car got ran off the road into a brick wall. Driver seemed to be ok.

Ouch.

Why didn't you chunk the driver over your back and run them to the Hospital!  Would have been a great leg workout.  Wink

GinnyinPA

Brilliant - sometimes you can get out, run a couple of miles and feel better, and sometimes it's better to just rest.  Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between the Blerch and the voice of wisdom.

PAD - good thing you were there.  I'm glad the driver was all right.

Mitch - enjoy your slow and easy jog.

sapf - I hope the follow-up gives you positive news.  It makes sense that the vision will change as the eyes heal.  There is probably some swelling at the moment.

D - enjoy your run this evening.

Z - Hi!  Is your conference finished?

Lauren - I hope your sick kid feels better now.  She got a good start on eating her peck of dirt.

HM - with winter coming, new tires are a good idea.  Have fun singing tonight.

Philliefan33

4 miles for me today. It was one of those runs where I could not settle in. I stopped a few times to adjust my shoes or to stretch my calves, but never really found my rhythm. But it is very nice outside so at least that part was enjoyable.

Zelanie

Ginny, yes, it was a one day every for school. But Thursday night I leave for a weekend weight watchers training.

GinnyinPA

Today was my turn for a hard effort after all the easy runs this week.  After spending a few hours working on our painting project, I was tired to start, more in the mood for a nap than a run, but I figured I'd try a couple of miles anyway.  If nothing else, I wanted to get away from the smell.  I finished with 6 miles.  It ended up being more or less a progressive run, since I did warm up and speed up, at least a little.  It never got easy, but at least it felt more or less normal.

The bedroom is now light blue.  I taped and painted the edges, Jim rolled the walls. One room down, two more to go. Since he hurt his back moving furniture, we may have to wait a few days.