Beginners and Beyond

The Saturday Penguin Post (Read 24 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good morning Penguins!

Yesterday I struggled with should I run or rest. I kept poking my heel and decided rest. Not sure about today, it is supposed to snow but that wouldn't stop me, the heel would. Anyway - the half I would do is in 13 weeks. I wanted to have a really good base going in. There is one in September - if I feel like training thru the summer.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

PADRunner

Morning Pengs, Gus.

Another 30 elliptical. Volunteering to help with physical trials for police cadets this morning. Probably timing & counting laps etc this morning. And maybe another 30 elliptical tonight, and maybe whine in the disabled thread.

GinnyinPA

PADRunner - have fun with the trials.  If the elliptical is going well, you are at least staying in shape while you're healing.

Gustav - any chance you can run indoors barefoot?  Or do the elliptical barefoot?  You have a good base.  A week off now shouldn't make that much difference this far out from your half.

AFM:  Today is a running day, but we have company coming sometime today so I don't know if I'll be able to do anything before he arrives and I know I won't be able to do anything later.  I actually have my miles for the week though, so it's not a big deal.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Happy Birthday, Hog!

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Sorry for being MIA.  Lots has happened.  First, on Thursday, I ran 7, cooked dinner and was watching a movie until my friend (the one with the surgery) called me that she was having difficulty breathing.  So, off we go to the ER where she was not seen until 7am.  I stayed with her until 5:20am, came back home and prepared for work all without sleeping a wink.  Spent the whole day doing depositions (my friend was admitted to the hospital for the day for more testing).  Then, hubby calls that he got a chest XRay and they found a pulmonary nodule, which tend to be benign but could also turn into lung cancer, so that fucking sucked my day.  He is doing a CTScan and if confirmed, he'll monitor it every 6 months.  Then, get home and run 4 miles which sucked, picked my friend up from the hospital, drop her at her house, then cook dinner and watch a movie with hubby.  Slept 10 hours, yay!  January sucks.

Some miles tonight.  Some miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Happy Birthday, hog4life!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Damaris - yikes.  It sounds like your week really sucked.  I'm sorry.  I hope your husband gets good news from the CT scan.

Happy Birthday Mitch.

Zelanie

Morning!  Ran my 14 last night, then had a minor cake disaster.  The recipe I was using called for 3 layer pans, but I only have two.  So I put the third layer into a springform pan, and the batter leaked out all over the oven instead.  So I guess it will be a two-layer cake.  DD is turning 16 on Monday, but we're celebrating today.  She asked for a "cookies and cream" cake, so I'm going for chocolate cake with whipped cream frosting with oreo bits in it.  Then I'm going to try to drip chocolate ganache over the sides.  I've never tried that before, so it should be an adventure!  I'm also hoping to run 4.

Gustav- I think you have a great base already!  A couple of days won't totally derail you!

PAD- Thank you for volunteering!

Ginny- Glad you got your miles in.  Hope you have a good time with your company!

Jack- You had me seriously reconsidering the May marathon with your comments, but I think I want to hold off until October.  As far as how to train for your next marathon, do you have anything that you're doing for your PF other than the rest you took?  That is, I would think you could take another hard training session if you are ahead of the PF and have a plan for knocking it out.  Otherwise, maybe training with DW might be better.  But are you going to want to race hard anyway come race day?

Mitch- Happy birthday!

D- I am sorry you're having to deal with this crap.  Good thoughts for those around you, and I hope you have a good run to relieve the stress.

hog4life

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes. I did a 12.05  mile run with my running buddies. We did a really big and long hill.

SheCan

Good morning Penguins!

Ginny-- have fun with your company today!

Docket-- Sad  Your last few days sound awful.  Good luck to DH with his scans.  That's really scary.

Zelanie-- awesome job on the miles!   Take a pic of the cake when you're done.  I hope your DD appreciates it.

Mitch-- Happy birthday, and great job on the miles!  Oh, I asked about coach Mitch because of all your time with the C25k people at your job.  ;-)

So far today, I've just been lazy.  Either won't run at all today or will run later and take tomorrow off.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Volunteered at a HM this morning. 5 hours outside in "feels like" -4. Had a blast though. Now off to the LRS to get fitted for new shoes.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Bday Mitch.  Hope Mr. Docket is okay and your friend too.  Sorry about the cake disaster, Z.  Happy 16 to DD.

We ran 6 miles indoors this morning.  Felt good all the way.  Seems like we are taking more RD's this winter and running longer when we do run.

For those that asked, Saving Mr. Banks was pretty good, but a little long.  I don't like flashbacks in movies and this one had a ton of them.  DW is a big Mary Poppins fan, so she loved it.  Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks were very good.  Brought back lots of memories of Walt Disney when I was a kid.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

4 recovery miles done at a 9:14 pace.

Zel: Even though you are in the zone, waiting until October would be better. I just hope it is not too hot in the summer when training starts or you could be looking at a lot of early morning runs.  I think the PF is behaving for me. I "secretly" started the Pfitz 18/55 plan this week just in case something happens with DW. The plan she has is only four days a week and the mileage is much easier. It is designed for a 4:00 marathon. That's not what I have in mind, but I do want to help her be successful with it, so I'm kind of torn. To be honest, I don't know if I'm ready for another 18 week Pfitz program, not yet at least. Six weeks out from my marathon and I just now am understanding how much abuse I put myself through. If nothing else, I will train with DW to let the PF fully heal and maybe do some extra miles on my own or throw in the fifth day. We'll see how training goes for her and I will play it by ear on race day. As much as I love racing and giving my all, it would be cool to run the whole thing and finish together.

She Can: I just fixed the front door and now I am also going to have a lazy day. Smile

PAD: The elliptical is better than nothing. It will keep your fitness up while you heal.

Ginny: Have fun with the company. We're going out tonight ourselves.

D: January will soon be over...

Kristin: Dang, that is COLD!!!

Jerry: Enjoy the beer tonight. Wink

SheCan

Volunteered at a HM this morning. 5 hours outside in "feels like" -4. Had a blast though. Now off to the LRS to get fitted for new shoes.

How wonderful of you to volunteer despite the cold!

Jerry-- well you're still getting the miles in.  I think your weather calls for a lot of rest days.  That Banks movie looks really good, but I hate when they don't edit them enough and you end up having to sit 2-1/2 hours through what should have been a hour-1/2 movie.

Jack-- "I just fixed the front door"  You really don't understand lazy like I do, Jack.  Plus I read what you wrote, Zel, and I got tired just reading about those plans.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson