Beginners and Beyond

Arrested for jogging? (Read 122 times)

LRB

Austin, Texas - It allegedly started with her jogging in her toe shoes and sporting headphones. It ended in video of her screaming and being led away in handcuffs. What happened in between is a matter of debate, but video showing parts of the incident is certainly gaining traction online.

The Daily Texan, the student newspaper for the University of Texas at Austin, reported that police arrested the woman for failing to provide identification.

Student Chris Quintero, who the Daily Texan reported witnessed the arrest, said he saw the woman jogging with headphones on when police ran after her. When the woman failed to stop, the officer grabbed her by the arm and handcuffed her, Quintero said.

“She repeatedly pleaded with them, saying that she was just exercising and to let her go,” said Quintero, who also shot the video and took photographs of the incident.  The woman can be seen in the full video attempting to get up from the sidewalk and being kept down by police officers.

Austin police did not return phone calls from TheBlaze about why the woman was detained.  According to a statement to The Daily Texan from police spokeswoman Lisa Cortinas: “[In this case], the call is titled failure to identify.”

As TheBlaze pointed out earlier this year, citizens have a variety of rights when it comes to interacting with police, including whether or not you have to show ID, and laws vary from state to state.

According to the infogrpahic in TheBlaze story from January and other sources, in Texas you only have to show ID once you’ve been arrested, not before. If you’re lawfully detained in Texas, you do not have to provide ID. However, you cannot give false information about who you are.

Video (link)

(Link) to story

Ric-G

I have to say I'd like to have seen video of those two cops in particular actually running after her

marathon pr - 3:16

Dad on the run.

I'm pretty sure they could not have caught her if she new they were behind her... just saying.

Also if I'm out running with headphones in and someone grabs me from behind I'm going to spin around with a left hook.. So I'd be arrested for assualting an officer I suppose.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Docket_Rocket

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I have not read the links, but I would think (and hope) there would have to be more to the story.

I would be arrested every time, unless a RoadID counts as ID.

Dave

The fatter cop needs new glasses and really wanted Axl Rose's autograph?

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Hmmm...

so it appears they had a jaywalking 'sting' erm...  Ok wtf

grabbed the girl who couldn't hear them, and she jerked away.  Normal and expected... Duh

then dickheads over reacted.

lovely

Will run for scenery.

Wouldn't have happened if she was running.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

MothAudio

Yet another reason you should not retard your visual or aural capasity when in public. That said, the Austin police have nothing better to do than roust citizens in this manner!?! Considering her profile I'm curious what the probable cause was for even requesting she present ID.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Yet another reason you should not retard your visual or aural capasity when in public. That said, the Austin police have nothing better to do than roust citizens in this manner!?! Considering her profile I'm curious what the probable cause was for even requesting she present ID.

Sounds like it started out with her crossing the intersection against traffic controls and she escalated it from there.  I suspect that had she stopped and complied with police then simply a citation or warning would have been issued.  She refused to comply.

“All that young lady had to do when she was asked for her information was to provide it by law, “ Acevedo said. “Instead of doing that, she decided to throw [herself] to the ground – officers didn’t sit her down – and she did the limp routine.”

Docket_Rocket

I don't carry ID when I run.  What would they like me to do if stopped?  She might have overreacted but this is ridiculous.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Love the Half

Sounds like it started out with her crossing the intersection against traffic controls and she escalated it from there.  I suspect that had she stopped and complied with police then simply a citation or warning would have been issued.  She refused to comply.

“All that young lady had to do when she was asked for her information was to provide it by law, “ Acevedo said. “Instead of doing that, she decided to throw [herself] to the ground – officers didn’t sit her down – and she did the limp routine.”

This is not Nazi Germany.  I do not have to provide my "papers" to the authorities.  I have every right to tell them to go to hell and be on my way and they have no right to know who I am unless I have committed some offense.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

Having had my own bizarre encounter with Texan authorities, I can say that I'm not surprised in the least.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Law Enforcement tends to over-react a lot, hell I "j-walk/run" all the time and in front sheriffs, cops and troopers and they just smile and wave, sometimes even ask me if it's too cold or too hot out. They've got better things to do than harass an innocent citizen out exercising while these two lazy officers just wanted some action. Sad...

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

This is not Nazi Germany.  I do not have to provide my "papers" to the authorities.  I have every right to tell them to go to hell and be on my way and they have no right to know who I am unless I have committed some offense.

True.  Even stop and frisks, if I remember correctly, do not include asking for ID.  And you still need reasonable suspicion of guns or drugs for that.

Damaris

Fundraising Page