Beginners and Beyond

Week 30 Penguins boldly go where no penguin has gone before! (09/06-09/12) (Read 6 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is Star Trek Day, the 54th anniversary of the beginning of the grand space adventure.

How was your long weekend?  Mine was lovely, and I did some necessary oddball stuff like washing our bedspread and pillows.  Plus we finished our Harry Potter movie series, with both parts of the Deathly Hallows, so that was fun.  Not sure what movie series we'll embark on next -- we did all the Marvel movies, and then the Matrix trilogy, and then Harry Potter.  Maybe we'll do Tolkien next, though we only have the Lord of the Rings on DVD, we'd have to hunt for the Hobbit movies on a streaming service.

My cookies turned out well, they had a bit more interesting flavor than the sugar cookies.  Orange almond oatmeal.  They're also humongous.  I definitely think there should be chocolate involved in next week's cookies, though.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Woohoo! We still need to do our Hobbit marathon (we did LOTR and HP a few months ago).

I have 8.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Looks like no biking the rest of this week, as it's supposed to rain.  My church choir is having a drive-in movie night tonight, we'll see if it actually happens.  I've suddenly got a really busy weekend going on, so I'm not going to be fussed if tonight is cancelled.

Lots to do, lots to do!

GinnyinPA

HM - sorry about the week of rain. We have the possibility of showers, but nothing certain. What drive in movie? Or is it a drive-in choir? There is a drive-in about 20 miles north of us, but I've never been there. They were having church services for a while.

Hot and humid here, so I'll do some miles on the TM. I'm not in the mood but I know how I get when I don't exercise, so I'll do it anyway.

Docket_Rocket

HopesMom, hope you were able to go to the drive in.

Ginny, hope you had a good run.

I ran 9.50 on the TM.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

They were going to do a drive-in movie at the church, but it got rained out.  I wasn't too fussed.  There is an actual drive-in not too far from us, but I've never been there.  They're apparently doing well -- they added a second screen a year or so ago, so now they can show two different movies at the same time.

No biking today -- the area is under a flash flood watch until this evening, so it didn't seem prudent to bike. 

Docket_Rocket

Stay dry!

Ran 8 and did some Barre too.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

D - nice run. Did you go to a barre class, or do something online?

HM - send some of that rain our way. We need it badly.

Docket_Rocket

My Pilates instructor can give it to me but I wanted something lighter, ha. Beachbody On Demand has a whole 60 day of 30 minute ones which go better with running than the 1 hours at studios.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Pssh, there was no rain at all yesterday.  So today was only a 30% chance, and I biked in, so there will probably be a downpour.

I have a really busy weekend coming up, and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.  Well, more than a bit.  Still, I don't see many options except just to get through it all.  Part of my problem is that tonight and tomorrow are taken up with a regional chorus education event, which is all virtual.  I keep reminding myself that since it's virtual, I can take breaks any time I want to.

It would help if things were working here at work, which they aren't yet.  I fixed one potential problem yesterday, but it turned out that wasn't the issue.  So I'm trying another fix now, basically of the duck tape and twist tie variety.  I just need things to hold together until after I finish my big project, which I'm about 1/3 of the way through.