Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's MoanDAILY (Read 20 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Pens !!!

Health club for me this afternoon, possibly a short run after with DW.

Congrats to weekend racers.

Have a great week  !!!

on my way to badass

May the Fourth be with you Penguins!

Thanks for starting us off Jerry.

I took yesterday off.  I should do some hill repeats.  The winter of the treadmill has taken its toll on my fitness and I need some confidence.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I love the title of this post =D  Today is a rest day for me.

Yesterday I ran the broad street 10 mile race in 1:46:43.  That's about a 20 minute PR (the only other time I ran a 10 mile race I was just coming back from my ankle sprain which had kept me out of training for 2 months).  I started off with my high school friend and he took us out at a pretty fast pace (for me) 9:30ish.  He decided he needed a walk break at mile 2.5 and so I left him behind -- I don't really walk during races except for through water stations so that I don't choke.  My 3 mile split was 29:15 -- 9:45 pace.  Miles 3-5 were fine -- I slowed down a bit because that was too fast for me to go out -- I hit the 5 mile split at 49:55 - and I was feeling good.  I hit the 7 mile gate at 1:11:25 - definitely starting to slow down a bit.  Then around mile 8 I take a shot blok but there's no water station in sight (I'm used to NYRR races where the water stops are very near to the mile markers).  It sort of sits in my stomach and I start feeling not so good =(  My left foot also starts feeling searing pain.  I look down and realize that I'd accidentally brought my new shoes (only worn once before) instead of my decently broken in pair of shoes.  I try to run through the pain, but about a mile later when I realize just how much my pace has slowed because of the foot pain I walk over to the side of the course, completely take off my shoe, readjust/loosen the laces and start running again.  Fixing my shoe was the most amazing feeling ever.  I should have done it much much sooner.  Finished the race in 1:46:43 for a 10:40 pace overall.  The weirdest thing about this race was that as soon as people crossed the first finish line gate, they just stopped completely.  No walking, no nothing.  They stopped before they even got through the second foot gate thing.  This was so strange to me.  Getting out of the finishers area was pain stakingly slow and not nearly as streamlined as NYRR races.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 7 miles tonight.

Jerry, nice job yesterday to you and the Mrs.

SF, enjoy the hill repeats.

sapf, nice job on the 10 miler. Congrats!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good job breaking in those shoes, sapf.  Nice PR.

hog4life

Nice running sap, I've had to stop many times for shoe and lace adjustments.

I will be taking a RD today. I got in an 8k on Saturday with the Ainsley's Angels, lots of fun. We had 3 riders and 9 runners. Sunday was a LR of 12 with Bella at a trail next to the Tennessee River. I put up my RR for the 3 day stage race too if you want to read. It's still missing a few stats and I have a couple more pics to add once I buy them.

Zelanie

saph- Good job on the run!  Funny how stubborn we can be about stopping even though it will save us time in the end!  Congrats on the 20-minue PR, that's huge!

I have a fundraising dine-out with DD, then hoping to run some miles after that.  Hopefully that will encourage me not to eat too much, right? Smile

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I was lazy and skipped my PT exercises on Sunday, but got back on the horse this morning (wait, I do these on a HORSE??), so that's all good.  Lab is nice and cool, and it looks like the instruments are going to come back up ok, I think.  One is still on the iffy side, but it was the one I shut down completely, so it should be ok.  We'll test it out this morning.  Wonder of wonders, my father is now on Facebook.  I know there are a lot of FB detractors, but when you live in another state from most of your friends and family, it's wonderful.  Of course, now I need to be careful what I post!!

Jerryb -- enjoy the health club and short run!!

Stone -- good luck with the hill repeats!!

sapf -- sweet new PR!!!

Docket -- enjoy your 7 tonight!!

hog -- have a good RD, sounds like you've had a great weekend!!

Zelanie -- dining out then running?  Yeah, I would never survive.  Good luck!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

Jerry - have fun at the gym. How are you two feeling after your race?

Stonefence - if you've been running regularly on the TM, you haven't lost much fitness, if any.  It's just a matter of getting used to the streets again.  A few runs and you'll be there.

sapf - good job on the PR for the ten mile race.  Irritating about people stopping at the finish line.  They shouldn't be that tired.

D - enjoy your seven.

Mitch - sounds like a good weekend.  Enjoy your rest day.

Z -  I can't imagine trying to run after a dinner out.  I've tried after breakfast out, and it never goes well.

HM - I hope the exercises went well and that your instruments all are working again in the coolness.  My father kept saying he wanted to be online, but when my brother got him set up, he never got the knack of it.  They tried twice, several years apart, and he never did get it.  I think the problem was he was used to a secretary handling things like that, and just didn't want to be hands on himself.  At 91, he's not likely to change, though his current wife keeps trying.

RD here, though I hope to get to the woods for a few hiking miles later.  It's hot.

Robert31320

Team TJ

Happy Monday, folks.

Today starts legitimate training for me for an August 25K.  I have some serious work to do to be ready.  3.8 miles done this morning.  This training will be both physical and mental for me.

Running for TJ because he can't.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Ginny, we feel great and are ready for another HM in 2 weeks.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Busy day at work today, after being off Friday!  Non-running day for me today;  may do weights after work, but then again, maybe not.

Two races completed over the weekend:  Alamo Beer Run 5K on Saturday:   http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/25c2b5ea5d544dea9719cc1de15958cd/resume#focus

and Girls on the Run 5K on Sunday:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/1e4d6ff514484d03bc1c9e8add8478d2/resume#focus

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Brilliant

Good morning penguins!

Jerry, thanks for starting us off, have a great week too!

SF, welcome back to the road.

Damaris, enjoy the 7.  I'm headed out for some errands shortly and am going to look for the Tiger Balm or Arnica gel you suggested.  Foot still hurts. Sad

Ginny, I hope you have a great hike.  Glad you are up to it!

Zel, don't get too stuffed. Smile

HopesMom, it's always a good rule to not say anything on FB you wouldn't say to your mom. Smile

Jill, congrats on the PR!

Robert, good luck on starting your training!  Don't think of it as 25k, think of it as just 15 miles. Big grin  (actually I don't know which sounds worse, because kilometers are so much shorter than miles!)

Mitch, loved the RR.  You have such fun runs in your area!  I need to branch out to something other than road races with 20,000 runners.

5.6 done this morning, including 4x1200 intervals.  Except I got a little confused on my math, and had 3 intervals that were .75 mile and one that was only .7 mile.  (my hubby said, "well get out there and do it again!")

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good luck with the 25K training Robert. Is that 16 miles?

3.8 for us.  Think my quads need a RD

Brilli, think you asked, I am a Neptune.  If I can find a race in Indiana real soon, I could make Saturn.