Beginners and Beyond

How Many Penguins Are In the Crapper Tuesday? Oh, and have some cake today! (Read 29 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

January 27 is Thomas Crapper Day!  He is often thought to have invented the flush toilet.  He actually did not, but he did do much to increase the popularity of the toilet, and developed some important related inventions, like the ballcock, to make flush toilets work more efficiently.  So next time you are in your 'library'.....

....give a bit of thanks to Thomas Crapper.

Oh, and January 27th is also Chocolate Cake Day!  I actually LIKE chocolate cake!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

For our Northeastern Penguins who really are in the mega-snowstorm 'crapper', hope y'all are staying safe and warm!

As for me....well, San Antonio is going up to 78 degrees today, with sunshine!  I will be doing a few miles after work in my singlet and shorts through a local park that has some really nice trails.  With our weather today, I am assuming the park might even get a bit crowded.

PADRunner

Morning  Scotty, 6 miles done this morning.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Morning  Scotty, 6 miles done this morning.

But it's still dark in Texas, PAD...how can you see any Great Legs?    Another reason I am an after-work runner.    That, and since I don't wear my glasses when I run, the daylight actually helps me see stuff in the way that I might not see in the dark....which is a good thing, cuz I'm a klutz....  

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 5-6 miles (partly with hubby) and heavy weights tonight.  Court all day, although the morning is on the phone and then I get to drive to Broward.

Damaris

Good morning all!

Ran my 3 miles this morning under the stars. Bright and crisp at 32 degrees. Just right.

Lauren - so sorry to hear you are having ITB issues. When I first started to stretch my miles past 3 my ITB's would bark at me. It seemed that over time, it took longer for me to hit the ITB threshold and eventually it just stopped. I consider myself very, very lucky!

sapf - Woohoo! Way to go on  your race. Can't believe you beat your PR post party. Doubly impressive. I'd like to join you on that 7 pounds in 7 weeks. Might be the kickstart I need to break through this plateau I've been hanging at.

Have a great day everyone!!

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Zelanie

RD for me- DD's birthday tonight, so you know I'm making cake. Smile  I am getting off early, so I am going to take her to get an ear piercing that she's been wanting.  Stay safe, pens!

ETA- Maybe we need a "February penguin weight loss challenge"- see who can lose those stubborn pounds between Feb. 1 and 28th.  Smile

Jill.

Penguin Power!

sapf - Woohoo! Way to go on  your race. Can't believe you beat your PR post party. Doubly impressive. I'd like to join you on that 7 pounds in 7 weeks. Might be the kickstart I need to break through this plateau I've been hanging at.

Haha - no I didn't beat my PR - 4 minutes slower than it.  I did beat my anticipated time for the race though.

The snow storm here turned out to be a "bust" in that I'd say we got somewhere around 10 inches -- not the predicted 2 feet of snow.

Today will be 3 miles (on the treadmill obviously because 10 inches of snow is still too much to run through).

Zel - I'd be on board for a weight loss challenge =D  I was at 142 this morning, I'd been down to 135ish pre-Christmas.  I feel like this holiday weight is really slowing me down.  Ideally I'd like to be at less than 128 before I start marathon training on June 28th.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Z: Is it a salted caramel cake? Mmmmmmm...

Scotty: Thanks for the info on Mr. Crapper. My dad always called it the crapper when we were kids and we would laugh. He would say that Crapper invented the toilet so it wasn't a "bad word." When we were kids, crap and even damn were considered bad words. Heck, I even got the evil eye if I said "sucks."  To this day, I still don't curse very much, so when I do, you know I mean it.

D: Have fun with all that. Glad your husband checked out ok.

Kathleen: Way to get them in early!

sapf: if you guys do a weigh loss challenge, we need before and after pictures!  Count me out.

As for me, I have a 9 mile tempo run with 5@HMP.  Hopefully, I will do the 5 fast miles on the track. I am tired of running the hills around here.

Have a good day.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I need to lose a few pounds too.  Blood Pressure is going up.  Please don't send me any Valentines candy.

hog4life

I'm down 7 pounds since the first of the year, and have about 7-10 more to go. I ditched my run yesterday for sleep, so will attempt the 6x800's today.

Zel, is it a "normal" piercing?

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Scotty, enjoy the nice weather!

Kathleen, the crisp run sounds nice but I don't think I could do it. Smile

Lauren, I was so sorry to read about your troubles in yesterday's daily.  I hope you get the IT band problems under control soon.

sapf, I'm glad you didn't get the predicted snowmageddon; enjoy the 3 miles.

I need a weight loss challenge too. I had spam, eggs, and pancakes after my run this morning - and it was a short one - no wonder I can't lose those stubborn 5 pounds!

GinnyinPA

I wish I could have some chocolate cake to commemorate the day, but like others have said, it's time to get serious about losing some weight.  Between the holidays and our trip, my eating has gotten completely out of control, and it is starting to show.  In the past I always lost weight easily with high protein/low carb dieting, but that's not going to happen with marathon training.

Scotty - that's almost too hot.  Enjoy your run in the park.

PAD - good job on the early miles.

D - enjoy your easy run and weights this evening.

Kathleen -Nice early run.  Last night when we walked Ben before bed I was thinking how nice it would have been to run then.  The snow reflects a surprising amount of light.

Z - what kind of cake?

sapf - I'm glad the snow wasn't the Armageddon they were predicting. It should make clean-up much easier and faster.

Jack - enjoy your tempo run.  That's a long one.

Mitch - congratulations on the weight loss. I wouldn't have thought you needed it, from the photos I've seen. Have fun with the intervals later.

Brilliant - Sounds like you were hungry!  I know part of my weight problem is too many Denny's breakfasts of pancakes, sausage and eggs while we were on the road.

Jerry - are you running later?

AFM:  The schedule calls for three miles later.  I'll probably add some miles to the plan because HH is notoriously low on mileage. Another walk in the snow and shoveling last night's two inches means I need to wait until I get some energy back.

tracilynn

I will join the weight loss challenge! My normal weight is 125 and Im at 133 so I need to lose 8 pounds!  ugh.

I did 5x800s at 10K pace and ended up at 5.2M also walked half mile prior to warm up my left peroneal tendon piece of crap/ankle.  Wrapped my ankle before my run and it seems okay.  I hope it stays that way!  back in the hard brace rest of the day.

gotta go shower, cook dinner, pick up my son and then make it to his karate class by 3:30 with 4yr old twins in tow.  

~~~~~~~

Traci