Beginners and Beyond

Lazier Than Vets Monday Penguins (Read 38 times)

obiebyke

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

obiebyke

Is it possible that this is the start of the penguin threads today? Do y'all have the day off? Jealous.

Happy Veterans Day!

Planning on at least 3 today, but it'll be a struggle to get out the door in the cold and wind.

Mmmmm...beer

Everyone is lazier than Vets, because we work so hard! Smile  Vet working on Veteran's Day FTMFL. Sad  But at least I'm working, so I won't complain too much! Smile  Happy Veteran's Day to all of my fellow Vets out there, thank you so much for your service and sacrifices to this great nation.

Obie, hope you have a great run today, don't let the cold stop you, go get those miles! Smile

Had an amazing 14 mile trail run yesterday, my first long run entirely on the trails in First Landing State Park (these are the trails where my 50k will be held next month, so I want to get somewhat familiar with the terrain).  The side trails were fairly technical, and I had an absolute blast going through them, felt almost billygoat like jumping around and over roots and rocks.  If I lived closer, I would run there every day and never set foot on the road again!  I learned pretty quickly tho that my half worn out Kinvaras aren't gonna cut it, so a pair of NB MT110s will be here on Wed. Big grin

Today is the first day of my Pfitz 18/70 plan to train for the Shamrock Marathon in March, gotta love a plan that starts with a rest day! lol  I'll be doing some easy recovery miles later tho, I always do better with some active recovery.

Hope everyone has a great day!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

obie - We have lake effect snow coming.  So, I feel your pain.

Dave - You're a badass.  Can't wait to hear about your race.

AFM - It's time to start logging miles again.  I'm going to try to run 5 in the snow tonight.  I'm shooting for 30-40 this week, and hopefully back to normal next week.  Will play it by ear.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

From the Internet.

Hi pens, and happy Veterans' Day! SRD for me and home with DD because preschool is closed. Hanging out in compression sleeves, drinking coffee and making Christmas lists.

PADRunner

Morning! Happy Veterans day!

4 easy done this morning 48 degrees.

It's going to be cold the next 2 mornings possible freeze, brrr.  Need cold gear!

hog4life

Happy Veterans Day, thanks to all that have served.

I get to work today too, we only shut down for Xmas. My foot is still sore this morning, so I'll be taking a RD, hell, I might take a RW. Complain about the cold, complain about the heat, complain about the rain, complain about the pain. We runners are just never satisfied!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  SRD for me.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

tracilynn

Happy veterans day to our penguin vets!

RD FOR ME. I'm also hanging out in compression sleeves today.   My RD usually MON and FRI.

cold weather is on it's way here.

Today high=70 Tomorrow high= 46

Low of 24!. Yipes.

we usually not in the 20s until january/ February!

~~~~~~~

Traci

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins and Happy Veterans Day!

I have off for the holiday and Mondays are usually my SRD - but I was out at 6:30am to get 8 miles in! Still have to read the race reports and get mine out there, but I will be on leaf duty today, followed up with miscellaneous home projects. So for the energy required the wife and I are going out for eggs and pancakes!

By the way - with all this cold weather, when does the winter running challenge start-up?

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Bin Running

Happy Veterans Day to all.

8M early in the morning. Brought DD to have her heb B dose 2 today and also get her check for jaundice. Level went down to 176 today after 21x reading for last 2 week. Was told that fully breast fed BB take longer for jaundice to go down.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

obiebyke

Gustav -- Winter running challenge, you say? Do explain!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!  I have a crazy week starting today -- since it's Veteran's Day, a local Golden Corral gives free meals to vets (do they all do that?).  Anyway, our quartet is going to sing to entertain them while they wait in line.  I think it'll be great, just a little way for us to give back since they've given so much!  Then tomorrow is a special seminar after work, Wednesday is quartet practice, Thursday is chorus practice.  I'm hoping I'm still awake come Friday!

Obie -- no day off here!  Good luck with your lousy weather 3!!

D2 -- sounds like a great trail run!!

awood -- good luck with your snowy 5!!

Lauren -- have a good SRD!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 4 done!!

hog -- sorry the PF is flaring.  The magic runner anatomy book suggests digging your thumbs into the sore spot while you flex your toes back and forth.

Docket -- have a good SRD!!

traci -- have a good RD too!!  Hope your shins quit complaining so much!!

Gustav -- sounds like a yummy breakfast!!  Woo-hoo for your 8!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Dad on the run.

Hey everyone, feeling a bit beat up at the moment. I've decided to take some time off from running and focus on stretching and strength training my legs, hips and core. I am going to see if perhaps that will help cure my woes.

Day 1 No running - Went to gym done chest and shoulders. Leg stretches will rolling. Tonight will be a leg routine, not sure what yet but will probably consist of squats (regular and one leg) and lunges (forward and side) and maybe some side leg raises, followed with some core work and stretching / rolling.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Philliefan33

Happy Veterans Day everyone!  It's just another work day for me.  Today I started packing the lab for our big move.  I should have most of the packing done by tomorrow I think.

SRD for me.