Beginners and Beyond

Penguins love more daylight Monday (Read 38 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Haha.  I read it and thought, that is said by somebody far from the equator. :-)

Haha -- that's funny that while I was posting that I was glad to get some daylight, D is cursing it!  I'll be cursing it in a couple of months when our temperatures get hot, but right now I'll take it.

Damaris

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

SRD for me and it's a good thing; I absolutely cannot stand this stupid time change!!

Zelanie

Well I, for one, am happy with the time change.  I will get some daylight for my runs!  That means a lot less treadmill time for me!  I kind of wish we'd just go to daylight savings time and then stay there, though.  It's the changing that hurts.  Hard to get to sleep last night, even though I was dead tired, and it was hard to get up this AM.

Today I am working, then teaching a small class after work, then I will run 7 easy.  And it might even still be light out!  I'm hoping, anyway!

D2- Enjoy the run in the sunshine!

D- Hope that the tropical sun isn't too brutal

Bin- Glad you got your run in today.  When is your next race?

Awood- You make some good points about the time change.  I will still take my evening sunshine though!

kristin- Hopefully with the days getting longer you will have some sunshine for your morning runs again soon!

Margo- Sounds like you needed the rest!  Hope that the run goes well today!

Scotty- Glad the hailstorm was when you were inside and not out running in it!  25 MPH wind is nothing to shake a stick at, though!  Hope the storm has passed.

Jack- Enjoy the RD!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins! Ok, so here's the skinny on last week: I went for a run/walk on Tuesday around the indoor track at my gym. During the last interval, my knee locked up on me, and I was barely able to limp back to my lab. I was smart enough to grab an ice pack out of my freezer before attempting to sit down at my desk, which was lucky because when I sat down, my knee was forced to bend, and I was forced to gasp and moan and cuss and gauge the distance to the trash can in case I puked. It was really bad. I canceled quartet practice that night and called DH to come get me, because I didn't think I could drive. By the time he got here, I was able to walk a little bit and I drove home, which in retrospect was not a good idea -- I had to brake with my left foot, and thank the Good Lord it was late, traffic was down, and nothing required good reflexes. I loaded up with Aleve in order to sleep Tuesday night. Wednesday I woke up, saw it was snowing, and went back to sleep for an hour. Then I got up about 7, looked outside, and filled the bathtub. About 10 minutes after I finished filling the bathtub, the power went out. We spent Wednesday watching the snow, huddled under blankets, reading by candlelight. Wednesday night DH slept in the guest bed with Dusty while I slept in our bed with the cats -- we didn't think any of the animals needed to be alone. On Thursday, DH wanted me to ride around with him to look for a generator, get some hot breakfast somewhere, etc. It was equally hellish -- I ended up stretched out in the backseat while Dusty sat in the front, because my knee hurt so damn much. There were no generators, but at least we got breakfast and coffee. Then it was back home to read, grimace in pain, and wait. Still no power. Around 11:00 Thursday night, with DH snoring like crazy and Dusty whining because he was cold and me unable to sleep from pain, I woke up DH and insisted that he find us a hotel somewhere. So we drove an hour to Richmond (and that sucked) with Dusty and Kaycee to spend Thursday in a hotel. Two Aleve and a Tylenol PM finally let me sleep. Friday morning we celebrated our hotel's flushing toilets and hot showers and continental breakfast, then headed off to find a little generator. I figured if we bought one, the power would be on when we got home. And then, having called my orthopedist and gotten a "we'll get back in touch" brushoff, I had the brilliant realization that I do have a PCP, and he could at least give me something for the pain. So I had an appointment with him on Friday at 3 pm. We got home about noon, and MUCH REJOICING, the power had been on for about an hour. All the pets came through ok, including the Birdy-bird, whom I figured would certainly freeze to death, so that was all kinds of good. And at 3 I saw my doc, and he checked for ligament damage (none), and wrote me a prescription for an anti-inflammatory and some serious narcotics for pain. He even warned me about leaving the bottle around because of the high street value. So I sucked one of those down as soon as I got home, and that let me get around without screaming. I started the anti-inflammatory that night, and MAGIC, I was SOOOOOOO much better the next morning!! So I have 30 days of anti-inflammatory, and some narcotics that apparently I'm not going to need. So I have power, I have drugs, and I'm going to dial myself down to walker rather than runner for the foreseeable future. I might come back to running someday, I might not, but it'll completely depend on how my knee handles regular walking. It's all good.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I'm sorry to hear about all that, hope's mom.  Hope the knee recovers well.  And I'm glad your pets made it.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Thanks, Damaris!  Looking at that story, I think I need some paragraphs!  Blush

Oh, and Jack, I'm on my third Prius.  Love them!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

SheCan

Morning Penguins!

Enjoying Standard time Arizona time, because we don't have daylight savings time here! Haven't missed it at all.  I'm with Zelanie, what I hated about it when I lived elsewhere was it changing every 6 months.   Heck, I wouldn't have cared which one they picked savings or standard, it they would have stuck with it always.

Dave enjoy your afternoon run!

kristin- I sure don't blame you not wanting it to suddenly be dark for your morning runs.

HopesMom- wow!  What a hellish week!  Glad you got some pain relief anti-inflammatories.   It sucks about the running, but walking has lots of benefits also.  Hopefully your knee will start cooperating soon.  And thank goodness at least now you have power at home again and nobody froze!

I did a 24mile run yesterday, and used some diabetic oatmeal raisin bars as fueling.  They worked great and were delicious.  I didn't feel even the slightest bit light headed.  Unfortunately my legs feel tired and my left hip is totally stiff and sore :-(  I'm taking today off, but I hope the hip is good enough to run on tomorrow, because I still have some workouts I need to get in this week.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

TxDiverMom

Sorry y'all are all unhappy about DST, but I LOVE it!  It would be fine with me if they left it like this forever.  I am an evening running and I hate mornings.  I don't care what time it gets light because I never see outside till I'm leaving for work.  I love for it to stay light late.  It would be fine with me if it stayed light till 9 all the time!  (Can you tell I don't go to bed early?  LOL!)  I don't even care if it's hot outside (Yep, it is in Houston!), because I hate the dark and chilly.

Good run this weekend, but I can tell I haven't been training as much.  It's time for that to change.  Too much life stuff in the way lately.  But it should settle down soon.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Hopesmom - I'm glad you found some relief, and that things are getting back to normal.  It's probably best to not think about running for a while.  If you decide to come back to it someday, hopefully you can do it pain free.  If not, there are other things in life.  My shoulders took me out of powerlifting, and here I am.  You find something new.  I can't speak for everyone, but I'd still welcome you to keep posting if you decided you were done.

I hope nobody thinks that I'm a raging anti-DST person.  It's just that when you've lived without it, it seems really silly.  We used to just do things at a different time of the day.  Now, I realize that the rest of the world was doing things at different times of the day, but telling themselves that it was the same time because they changed their clocks.  We based it on when the sun was coming up or going down, and the temperatures outside.  The rest of the country had a day and time on the calendar.  It just seems weird.  We had different departments in the same company that would operate on different schedules that suited them best.  Most of the sales dealt with people in the Central Time Zone, so they'd come in at 8 central.  It was hot on the production floor during the day.  So, they'd come in while it was still dark, and leave shortly after noon.  The loading docks would come in 30 minutes after production so they'd have something to load in the trucks.  It was just about doing things when they worked.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hopesmom: I averaged 77.6 mpg on my ten mile drive to work. It's mostly downhill, but WOW!!!

SheCan: great run!

Awood: I have lived with it all my life and I still think it's silly. Today is my least favorite day of the year because of it.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am an evening runner and the last thing I look forward to is the sun high up in the sky like it's only 3pm and the hot and humid weather that comes with it.  If my city would have shade, maybe I wouldn't mind the sun this much, but getting tanned on a 5 miler every day, not cool.Big grin

Sorry y'all are all unhappy about DST, but I LOVE it!  It would be fine with me if they left it like this forever.  I am an evening running and I hate mornings.  I don't care what time it gets light because I never see outside till I'm leaving for work.  I love for it to stay light late.  It would be fine with me if it stayed light till 9 all the time!  (Can you tell I don't go to bed early?  LOL!)  I don't even care if it's hot outside (Yep, it is in Houston!), because I hate the dark and chilly.

Good run this weekend, but I can tell I haven't been training as much.  It's time for that to change.  Too much life stuff in the way lately.  But it should settle down soon.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Hopesmom: I averaged 77.6 mpg on my ten mile drive to work. It's mostly downhill, but WOW!!!

SheCan: great run!

Awood: I have lived with it all my life and I still think it's silly. Today is my least favorite day of the year because of it.

Nice!!  I'm happy with 53.  I tend to get 48-50 in winter and it makes me grumpy.

Singer who runs a smidge

I am an evening runner and the last thing I look forward to is the sun high up in the sky like it's only 3pm and the hot and humid weather that comes with it.  If my city would have shade, maybe I wouldn't mind the sun this much, but getting tanned on a 5 miler every day, not cool.Big grin

You need a cabana boy to run along behind you with a fan and a parasol!!  I think Awood and D2 might volunteer ...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

If I can keep up with them, they are welcome to do so. Big grin

You need a cabana boy to run along behind you with a fan and a parasol!!  I think Awood and D2 might volunteer ...

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sorry about the knee, HsM!  Sounds like you've been having quite the adventure with everything going on!  Glad you have no torn ligaments, etc.

Enjoy the rest day, Jack!

Enjoy your run, Z,  in the light after work!

Congrats on the 24 miles, SheCan, way to go!  Hope the hip feels better in no time!  I did not realize AZ did not have DLS.   Good to know for when I come visit.  I have decided that next year  I am going to go to Arizona do to Pat's Run.  Which is in Tiempe, if I recall correctly.  Run finishes in Arizona State stadium.  I think the run is done every April, if I remember correctly.

Yes, I am with you, TxDiverMom, I like it better when it stays lighter longer, and I don't care if it does get hot.  I just prefer PM running to the early morning stuff.  I think all the race organizers should change their races from mornings to early evening.  Wink  Good luck with your upcoming training plans!  See you down around Houston sometime, I come there every once in a while to do a race or two.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt