Beginners and Beyond

Fun news about Mike Rossi, Boston Marathon viral dad and (likely) BQ cheater (Read 168 times)

LRB

Man, people are really PO'd about this. I am not really sure I care enough to even offer an opinion but love this line from the thread at let's run:

"This man is an attention whore and anyone who writes that their child learned more at the Boston Marathon than they did in "an entire year of school" is delusional and arrogant."

lol

Birdwell

I love letsrun.com

The guy has changed his blog settings to private, shut down his facebook and is purging his twitter.

Sound innocent to me 

delicate flower

I love a good trainwreck!

<3

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

Problem is, it's not enough for some people to cheat their way into Boston, post sappy blog entries about adversity, and make matching shirts for their family to wear while they are cheering them on.

No, they ALSO have to write a condescending letter to their kids' school principal AND make it public!

Docket_Rocket

As to the guy that wrote that letter back to the school, last I read was that the school principal had received death and other threats.  People are nuts!

But seriously, they are alleging he cheated?  Wow!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

Well D, you decide if he cheated or not when he BQs with 3:11 after having been a runner for less than 2 years, with the only prior marathon at 4:26 and half times in the high 1:40s.

At Lehigh Valley, he essentially ran his legitimate 5K pace in a marathon.  And he's not a small, skinny guy.  You know, not like those 3:11 marathoners

Docket_Rocket

Oh, I have been reading the RWOL and Let's Run thread.  He cheated.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Not only is likely he cheated, but his kids also should have unexcused absences. Period.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Guy sounds like a douche. You think you can give your kids a better education than the school? Home-school them. You want to take your kids on a vacation? Boston is open in the summer too.

That said, we have taken our kids out of school more than once for family vacations (although I don't think ever for more than 1 day). And usually for the selfish reason of getting cheaper airfare. So I'm one to talk. I don't think the school has ever given us any trouble.

Also, I have never cheated to get into Boston, but if anyone has any good ideas, I'm willing to listen.

Dave

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Guy sounds like a douche. You think you can give your kids a better education than the school? Home-school them. You want to take your kids on a vacation? Boston is open in the summer too.

That said, we have taken our kids out of school more than once for family vacations (although I don't think ever for more than 1 day). And usually for the selfish reason of getting cheaper airfare. So I'm one to talk. I don't think the school has ever given us any trouble.

Also, I have never cheated to get into Boston, but if anyone has any good ideas, I'm willing to listen.

Run faster

Run faster

You mean, with all that training and whatnot? Sounds like a lot of trouble.

Dave

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

great advice, but how is that cheating?

Run faster

Birdwell

You mean, with all that training and whatnot? Sounds like a lot of trouble.

I would be willing to hide a bike along the St. George Marathon course for you.

LRB

I don't think the school has ever given us any trouble.

On the oft chance that I took my kids out of school, it was no one's business why that was.  When you offer a reason however (not you specifically but the person), you open yourself up to scrutiny and judgment.  I never really bothered to argue if an absence was excused or not though because none of that ever mattered to me.

The schools anymore are jacked up though, at the grade school level there are no more winners and losers in sport, everyone gets a medal, they do not even bother to keep score. Great job they are doing molding our kids for the real world where there are winners and losers and those who put in the work usually advance. These are things you learn as an adolescent.

There is nothing wrong with teaching these lessons at the earliest age possible. The kids are missing out though because these days everyone wins in school, even the ones who do nothing. Those are the same little bastards innocents who grow up thinking the world owes them something.