Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Zero Prostate Cancer 5K Run/Walk (Read 32 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

THE DETAILS

• My 51st race of 2014 - Zero Prostate Cancer Run 10K/5K, put on by San Antonio Urology - http://www.kintera.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=1110779
    • I did this one in memory of my friend, Jim Fortner, who had prostate cancer and lost his battle to cancer in 2010. Jim and I 'met' through the online Runners World Forums.  I had the pleasure of meeting him at the Disney World Half Marathon we both did; and when I visited Maryland to do a couple of races, Jim and his lovely wife, Sue, were kind enough to put me up and also gave me a nice tour of the Baltimore area.  Jim was a very knowledgeable runner who helped me be a better runner in the days when I was actually 'racing."  I could e-mail him any time and he was always there for me with answers, advice, and support.   He was .well known in those days  on the RW forum, as you can see from these 'tributes":   http://danerunsalot.blogspot.com/2010/04/rip-james-fortner-jr-october-3-1938.html  AND http://www.hillrunner.com/forums/index.php?topic=7582.0
    • I finished this one in 31:11 chip time, good enough for 3rd place in my Age Group (60 - 69).  I thought that was a bit speedy for me for a 5K - I usually do 33 to 34 minutes for a 5K - and several 'garmined' folks that I know confirmed for me post-race, that the course was a bit short,  - 2.92 miles instead of 3.16.  So that's what I put it as in my log.  Even so, I was happy with the result, still a 10-something pace per mile - which is pretty speedy for this old dog that usually does 11-something minute mile training runs.

BEFORE THE START

This event was held at Wheatley Sports Complex, a very nice facility for soccer, football, track-and-field events, and so forth.

Good Sports, a local sports activities store that was a sponsor.  Love this store....it's the only one in San Antonio, for whatever reason, that actually carries the type knee brace that I wear, so that's where I get mine all the time.

The EMT folks that were there for us.  Thank you!  I took their photo and then told them, "No offense, but I hope this is the only time on the course that I see you. " 

Band playing music for us, before and after.  I think they're called "Cinnamon Spice."  They're quite good.

Our very entertaining MC.  He is MC for quite a few races I do.  Behind him is one of my running friends, Eric, who was the bike pacer for the 5K event.   And I have to give Eric and iaap some 'free advertising" - -Eric is one of the owners of Dragon Productions, which print-tee-shirts, and other print items.  He printed a bunch of shirts for me with my "I BEAT CANCER...." logo and did a GREAT job.  Definitely going to use his services again.  So if you're local and need something like that, you can't go wrong with Dragon Tees (<cite>www.edragontees.com</cite> ) .  iaapweb.com is a local company that does race timing, bibs, race course setup, etc, and always does a great job.  They did today's event, which is why Eric has an iaap shirt on - and  Eric's and my mutual friend from iaap,  Ceci, also does a great job with her "Hurache Turbo" services - http://huaracheturbo.com/     Which kind of makes her Eric's competition a bit, lol, but they are great friends, and I think there's enough business for both.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u83/scottydog69/2014%20Race%20Reports%20and%20Photos/Zero%20Prostate%205K%202014/023_zps68c5bbe4.jpg?t=1411252831?488

And some of the participants, supporters, volunteers, etc.

ON THE COURSE

The route started in front of the stadium, wound through a bit of the parking lot area, and then went over into adjacent Martin Luther King Park on paved trails.  Course was out-and-back for both the 10K and 5K.   I kept playing 'catch-up' with this one young lady (maybe about 8 years old or so) who was running with her Dad.  I'd stop to take photos, she'd go running ahead, I'd catch up.  I never did get ahead of her either, lol.  At the finish I got pretty close behind her and her Dad, and I jokingly called out "I'm catching you, young lady."  For the last 50 yards or so, she took off running full-out, me chasing - and I was going 'full-out' for me too - and she beat me in by about 40 seconds....NICE running, young lady!

This guy apparently wanted to remain incognito.   Actually, he was shading his eyes.  Right at this point on the course as we headed back to the stadium the sun ahead of us was VERY bright and shining right into our eyes for about 15 yards or so, making it a bit hard to see that part of the trail ahead.

AFTER THE FINISH

First...the goodies waiting for us post-race.

I indulged in just a plain hot dog, with some tots...

Pastries and some assorted goodies

Barbecue sandwiches..

Spiderman was there...getting photo-bombed by a friend of mine, lol; and then the official photographer sneaked up on him....Spidey sense not working?  

And, of course, the "Happy Finishers" et al....

Me and a lovely and speedy running acquaintance of mine.  She finished way ahead of me..and then went back on the course to cheer the other runners in that were coming in after her - including me. .

Me and Bill, a fellow survivor, who had a much more difficult battle with his cancer than I did with mine.

Superman found a much better looking lady than that darn ole Lois Lane. 

Our 'medals' volunteers

Me with two beautiful 'sisters"...and their little dog too!     OK, they are actually mother and daughter, but it took them a while to convince me.     Me, I look more like I'm related to the dog...

Bernadette and I each got a medal

EPILOG

A very nice event!  Well-organized, nice course, lots of post-race goodies, great 'atmosphere".  The weather even behaved for us - for South/Central Texas, it was very nice...still warm, but the humidity was way lower than it has been all summer, and the dew-point  at race time was only in the 60s, a plus for us, as most of this past summer it's been in the upper 70s.  And the majority of the course was lined with nice shade trees, which helped.  This one is a keeper!  Definitely would recommend this one to my fellow runners.

Kudos to all the volunteers, sponsors, medical staff, police officers, etc., who made this all happen and were out there for us.

Next up for me:  Head For The Cure 5K on Sep 27 and Siclovia 5K on Sep 28.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Looks like a good place to run, though a bit hilly.  Lots of post race goodies. Congratulations on the AG medal.

I'm sorry about your friend.  The men I've known with prostate cancer all had better outcomes, but I know it can happen otherwise.

Regarding the folks with the competing t-shirt printing businesses:  given the number of races in SA, there must be a lot of business for t-shirt printers.  So the races not only raise funds and awareness for their causes, and give folks a fun and healthy way to spend a Saturday or Sunday morning, they keep the local businesses in business.  Excellent.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Oh, Bernadette was there.  So that explains your speedy time. 

Way to go, Scott !!!

PADRunner

Another great race as usual!

Half Crazy K 2.0

I'm jealous. I did the Baltimore version of the race, got the same t-shirt, but the post race food looked nothing like yours.

Amazonian Princess

Nice report, Scotty, and great pics, too 

I can. I will. I am. 

B-Plus

Zelanie

A good race for a good cause.  Nice job!

happylily

I miss Jim. Thanks so much for doing this for him. He lives through all of us runners...

Great looking people, Scotty! And you look strong as always and Bernadette is still her lovely badass self. Thanks a lot for the report!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Walk-Jogger

One man dies of prostate cancer every 18 minutes in the USA, on average. Thanks for doing this run Scotty, and for helping keep up and raise the awareness of this silent killer. You are an inspiration, as always!

Retired &  Loving It