Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Too Hot To Handle 15K and 5K (Read 6 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

Here is yet another of my Race Reports with Photos.  I am not exactly a good photographer but hey, at least all the photos are free so my ‘subjects’ can save and share their photos if they so desire. Mucho thanks to all the people I interacted with at this event for their graciousness, patience, and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more!

If you don't want to read the full report below, here is a slideshow of the photos:  http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2033%20Too%20Hot%20To%20Handle

BEFORE THE START

This was my 33rd race of 2016.  Held at Boerne Lake Park, with a 7:30 a.m. start for both the 5K and the 15K, so I was up at 5 to eat my usual oatmeal pre-race breakfast and then off to the park I went.  Arrived around 6:40.  Participants were directed to park in this big field....

photo 003_zpsw4xrqj5k.jpg

...and then we walked across the field to the start/finish area.

photo 004_zpsgm35ed64.jpg

The lake at this time in the morning was quite peaceful.

photo 002_zpsqrr0x1ay.jpg

photo 078_zpshkuxn1x7.jpg

photo 079_zpskbwcpkmf.jpg

Wanted a pre-start stretch or massage?  These folks were there to do just that.

photo 005_zpsxntzutub.jpg

Race Director Mitch Allen and volunteers

photo 006_zps6zjh1uym.jpg

Mitch and I

photo 007_zpsah0l6pky.jpg

Mitch going to the dogs;  just beautiful dogs, very friendly.

photo 014_zps5yocqaxm.jpg

Announcer Extra-Ordinaire Mark Purnell who always does a GREAT job at the events he does.

photo 015_zpsflemjkld.jpg

Me and friend Karen, who walked the 5K course

photo 009_zpsogiktzjt.jpg

Some of the participants, volunteers, family members, supporters, etc.

photo 008_zpsoejphnqi.jpg

photo 010_zpshxm5ow9e.jpg

photo 011_zpsn1hewfzc.jpg

photo 012_zpsp0qboexl.jpg

photo 013_zpsj1lbwshu.jpg

photo 016_zpsxwhrdkhg.jpg

photo 017_zpsvyssfpgb.jpg

photo 018_zpsck4mifop.jpg

photo 019_zps0khujana.jpg

photo 020_zpsjcbohj86.jpg

photo 021_zps4rsrjob8.jpg

photo 022_zpsyquratdd.jpg

Me and my 'running wife", lol, Bernadette.  Over the year, we do a lot of the same races  and Bernadette does just about as many in a year as I do.    The difference being, Bernadette actually RACES hers, while I do run/walk and take photos - and she usually places in every race she does. She has got a houseful of medals!

photo 024_zpsbsszlca5.jpg

Fellow Team RWB Team-Mates Cecy and Trinnie.  These ladies just cannot take a bad photo, always look lovely...even post-race!

photo 025_zpsiv51cggl.jpg

Getting ready to go...National Anthem sung beautifully by a retired Air Force lady

photo 023_zpssumswhnw.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Here we go.....right off the bat, we climbed a small uphill trail...

photo 026_zpskath1vxs.jpg

...then ran along the top of this 'berm"....

Looking behind me they way I'd just come....

photo 027_zps0pbkllhe.jpg

photo 030_zpss41yiwfb.jpg

photo 031_zpsz19y5xit.jpg

....and ahead of me.....

photo 028_zpsw2shhdvl.jpg

photo 029_zpslz0u9dlh.jpg

photo 032_zpsdkyivy2j.jpg

Around part of the lake we went, finally reaching a paved road that took we 5K folks to the turn-around point...

photo 033_zpsxuggwyri.jpg

The cone was the 5K turn-around point.  The 15K folks continued on...to MAJOR hills on their course.  Compared to what they dealt with, the 5K course was not really bad at all.

photo 034_zpshyd0hy1n.jpg

15K folks literally heading for the hills

photo 039_zps2z6d2jgm.jpg

Meanwhile I made it around the cone and it was now back the way we'd come out...

photo 035_zpsgb7lqfd8.jpg

photo 036_zpsofsmdqy4.jpg

photo 037_zpsiughrvdg.jpg

I think I accidentally hit my flash for this photo and everyone became quite colorful.

photo 038_zpsorbe2wcq.jpg

Our race volunteer "traffic controller' on this part of the course.  Thanks, buddy!

photo 040_zpsezlngokj.jpg

Back onto the trail, climbing up this short but steep hill that was downhill on the way out

photo 041_zpsecuzrppb.jpg

photo 042_zpsgt9majag.jpg

Back on top of the berm heading for the finish

photo 043_zpstjwzgzrr.jpg

photo 044_zpsammlylab.jpg

photo 045_zpsfzojjryc.jpg

photo 046_zpss97i3ark.jpg

After that last photo, I was off again.  I passed quite a few people that had passed me during my photo/walk break.  Down that last hill we'd come up at the start, then back to the finish line.  I ended up with 37:24, and was pretty happy with that - only  3- 4 minutes off my usual 5K finish time when I was healthy, so made me feel I am making progress in my previously torn adductor muscle continuing to heal well. I ended up 4th in my age group.  The 3rd place guy in my age group finished just 32 seconds ahead of me.  Guess I should not have stopped to take that last photo.   It's all good! 

AFTER THE FINISH

Behave myself, lol, per my doc's orders, and did my post-race stretching.   Then it was off to get photos of the "Happy Finishers' etc.  Unfortunately at times I forgot to wipe my sweaty lens - yes, I REALLY sweat when I run.  As comedian Louie once said 'I'm a fat guy; I have to sweat or I'll explode."   So apologies to those who may have a bit of a 'blurry spot" on their photos.

Post-race goodies included fruits, bagels, and breakfast tacos

photo 049_zpsh0zg2w82.jpg

photo 050_zpselag6maa.jpg

One of my favorite "30-something" lady runner friends, Kim, and friend.  Kim placed in her age group for the 5K. Her friend here is obviously her angel, as you can tell since he 'shines".  

photo 047_zps7fay5s27.jpg

My friends Gene and Loyce

photo 051_zpspt8omkt6.jpg

Bernadette and friend

photo 052_zpstoa5cyi5.jpg

Fellow Team RWB team-mates Victor and Cecy.   Victor placed in the 5K.

photo 053_zpsz167pegx.jpg

My very speedy friend, Erik, who was 1st male finisher in the 15K.

photo 054_zpsrxgbjfpn.jpg

Erik, wife Kristine who also placed - she is quite darn speedy too! - and their little family

photo 089_zps79vyo6df.jpg

And others...

photo 056_zpssqa4kfpv.jpg

photo 057_zpsvtouvkll.jpg

photo 058_zpsmz8lqvrn.jpg

photo 059_zpszcvazy3f.jpg

photo 060_zpshscgc7wc.jpg

photo 061_zpsem4zhmzq.jpg

photo 062_zpskw22rrgm.jpg

photo 063_zpswfmybu29.jpg

photo 064_zpsmwgdx8ny.jpg

Shiner Beer folks; because it was Sunday, we had to wait until 10 a.m. to get beer (stupid 'blue laws" ) I told them I grew up in the Washington DC area so since I was East Coast, it was already 10 a.m. for me...but they didn't buy off on it, lol.

photo 065_zps7zehoglq.jpg

iRun Texas folks preparing the awards medals.   Thanks for being there for us!

photo 066_zpsccatwjaf.jpg

Time for your closeup...

photo 067_zpsn3lnrnzk.jpg

photo 068_zpsmibzbq7c.jpg

photo 069_zps5dtyt79d.jpg

photo 070_zpskhwphoul.jpg

photo 071_zpshglxmvxg.jpg

photo 072_zpskxcp3ten.jpg

photo 073_zpsoyeygk28.jpg

iRun Texas staff;  He told me they had to be at race site at 4 a.m., dang!  Thanks for being out there for us!

photo 074_zpsgnx9ajwx.jpg

photo 075_zpsocylwpnl.jpg

photo 076_zpsdgjlxrox.jpg

photo 077_zpspomwqd3x.jpg

photo 080_zpsloyg28l1.jpg

My "Walking Strong" friend, Karen, with friends, some of whom placed in their age groups

photo 081_zpsdtp9mynk.jpg

photo 084_zpsab8aozvd.jpg

My friends Bernadette and Elaine (left) as usual for their speedy selves, placed in their events.

photo 082_zps6kpaqf9y.jpg

photo 086_zpsnvfbliuo.jpg

photo 083_zpsk5pd3s0f.jpg

These two fellows placed in the 15K.   The guy on the right actually fell on the course - and even got a photo of it that he showed me - and he still placed.

photo 085_zpsu1fnugwh.jpg

Team RWB members

photo 090_zpsf65h5fps.jpg

I did not place in the 5K but I got my reward...my beer, finally, and I won a door prize, this water bottle with a strap for easy carrying.  I jokingly told my friend, Karen, since I only do shorter runs I really don't need to carry water with me; but maybe I could use it as a "pee can" when I'm out on the trail with no restrooms around.      Hey, if my aim gets really good enough that might even make my wife happy...as I'd be able to hit INSIDE the toilet at home once in a while...

photo 087_zpsx6hzwhbd.jpg

EPILOGUE

iRun Texas really knows how to put on an event!  I've done the Too Hot Too Handle for several years and it is always enjoyable. Nice race venue, nice after-party, nice race shirts, nice door prizes, nice medals, nice post-race goodies and services...nice EVERYTHING!   Definitely a keeper on my race calendar.  MUCHO thanks to all the volunteers and organizers - who had to be out there WAAAY early to get everything going - sponsors, law enforcement out there for us, etc.; all the folks who make this one happen for we participants.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt