Beginners and Beyond

Breathe In Breathe Out Wednesday Penguins! (Read 30 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

While running do you folks control your breathing or just gasp for air? When running I alternate breaths and steps so I don't breathe in on the same step. Also the number of breaths helps control different paces. Long runs are 9 steps, easy runs 7 steps, and speed work are 5 steps. This is what I mean - I'll use the capital letters L and R for breathing in on Left and Right foot. The lower case letters l and r will be for breathing out on left and right foot. So for a 9 step long run - L R L R l r l r l for one cycle then start the next one  R L R L r l r l r. The 7 step would be L R L r l r l then R L R l r l r and 5 step L R l r l then R L r l r. What it is supposed to do is alternate your breathing cycle so you don't constantly breathe in on the same step. It is also a good gauge to maintain pace for different types of training runs. When I started doing this I would count for each cycle but now it comes naturally. Try it a let me know what you think!

Last night my intervals went well even though it got dark during my run. For me now it's dark when I wake up and dark after work with the exception being the weekends.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

LRB

Supp Gus!

I just wanted to thank you again for for reaching out to me and diagnosing my SI joint problem, something three professionals had not done up to that point.

I had my first run yesterday (1.5 miles), and although I thought I was going to break into a million pieces, miraculously, I came made it home whole!

I ended up missing 5 weeks, but that could have easily been much longer without your help.  Thanks again, I owe you big time Bro!

What up doe to the rest of the Penny Penguins!

Look what played on the screen before the show Saturday! (link)

I hope you all have a good day, whoop-whoop!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Y'all are early today! (Did I just say y'all??) SRD today. Switched around my running and resting days this week. The good news though is that I was able to run Sunday, Monday and Tuesday in a row with no shin pain (albiet was a bit conservative with the distance of my runs), so HOPEFULLY that was just a little blip and is behind me now.

I'm really REALLY frustrated because I found out that my 10K Sunday, which was a goal race for me and another shot at that sub-60 minute goal I have been trying so hard for, was changed to a 6.7 mile course although still being called a 10K. WTH?!?! I am so tempted to shutting off my Garmin at 6.2 and calling it a day. I won't have another chance at a 10K til January at least and then I will be in HM training mode where my plan discourages race effort. HMPH AngryDisapproveCry

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Morning, y'all! Wink

SRD or a run with hubby.  We'll see.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning, y'all! Wink

SRD or a run with hubby.  We'll see.

If you have 3 SRDs in a row the world may end. LOL

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Plan on running after work, an easy 3 to 4 miles.  Right now it is 6 a.m., 75 degrees, 90-percentile humidity, and we are starting to get a lot of rain.  By this afternoon, the rain is supposed to blow out and we will get a 'cool front' coming in, the temp is supposed to drop around 15 degrees or so and tomorrow morning we will be in the 40s.   Brrrr!

I don't worry or think about any of that stuff - breathing, how many steps I take, form, etc - when I go run.  I....just....go....run.  My running philosophy at this point in my running life is why make things more complicated by adding all that stuff? Just get out there and run like when you were a kid, don't worry bout nuthin' and just have fun. Big grin

Yay, LRB, congrats on your first run of your comeback!  Nice to hear you are running again!

Y'all is a perfectly good word in Texas, Kristin.  Glad your shin problem seems to be resolving. What's up with that 10K of yours, how come they made it long?  They must've used the AMERICAN metric system when they measured. Wink

Welcome back, Damaris.  You and your hubby....Y'ALL have fun! Joking   And yeah, what Kristin said!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Philliefan33

Good morning Gus, Kristin, DR -- and a cameo appearance by LRB!

Gus, I don't think about my breathing anymore unless I am struggling (then I focus on breathing to try to get things under control).  But for my typical easy pace, I breathe in for 4 steps / out for 5.  A little faster and I'm doing in 3 / out 4.  I don't have any particular reason for that pattern - it's just what I am comfortable with.

Just a 3-mile tempo run tonight.

Zelanie

Morning!  About to head to the airport to fly to my Albuquerque conference!

Kristin- Even though your RW plan discourages race-pace effort, they also say that many people PR other races during their training cycle.  If the 10K goal is important to you, I bet you could find a week where you could sub a race out for the speedwork.

Gus- I don't pay attention to my breathing at all unless I'm trying to switch feet to fight a side stitch.  I do know that it's gotta be even-numbered steps for me, though!  Odd would drive me nuts.  Mostly I think it's 8 steps for a full inhale-exhale at easy pace.

Ginny- Good to see you back yesterday!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Scotty- The 10K is part of an event that has 3 Duathalon distances, a 5K running race and a 10K running race. I think the organization undertook took much, because they said they don't have the means to make the start line and finish line of the 5K and 10K races different that they need to start and end in the exact same place...the loop of the part is 3.35 miles, thus they made the 5K 3.35 miles and the 10K 6.7 miles so they start and end in the same place and you run a full loop of the park or 2 full loops of the park. Grr

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Pengs.  Never noticed if I actually breathe while running, Gus.  I must focus on keeping the legs moving.

Last work day of week today, so short run today or tomorrow morning, depending on weather.  Then, we're off to Nashville !!!!

Docket_Rocket

If you have 3 SRDs in a row the world may end. LOL

Hehe.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I am jealous of your temps, Scotty.  It is already 80F hetre and only because it is raining.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Safe trips, Zelanie and Jerry!

Enjoy those Nashville hills, Jerry!  And if you start to get sick there, play a country music record backwards.... Joking

Zelanie, this is for you....weather where you are going....it's in the 30s in the mornings!  BRRR!

Today Nov 6

Sunny

55°F

34°F

Sunny

<dl><dt>Chance of rain:</dt><dd>0%</dd></dl><dl><dt>Wind:</dt><dd>NNW at 6 mph</dd></dl>

Thu Nov 7

Sunny

60°

38°

Sunny

<dl><dt>Chance of rain:</dt><dd>0%</dd></dl><dl><dt>Wind:</dt><dd>SW at 5 mph</dd></dl>

Fri Nov 8

Sunny

63°

39°

Sunny

<dl><dt>Chance of rain:</dt><dd>0%</dd></dl><dl><dt>Wind:</dt><dd>S at 5 mph</dd></dl>

Sat Nov 9

Sunny

65°

42°

Sunny

<dl><dt>Chance of rain:</dt><dd>0%</dd></dl><dl><dt>Wind:</dt><dd>WNW at 4 mph</dd></dl>

Sun Nov 10

Mostly Sunny

65°

41°

Mostly Sunny

<dl><dt>Chance of rain:</dt><dd>10%</dd></dl>

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Posted by Awood on Tuesday:  I downloaded a 100 pushup app for my phone.  Should be cool.

Wow, that's impressive. My phone can't do any pushups.