Beginners and Beyond

Weekend Penguins (Read 15 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

37* WTF !!!  Short run...later.

From the Internet.

90 minutes at long run pace - good thing I had planned to just run for 90 minutes from the start because Garmin is crazy today. No map, distance was way off, and it tells me I had like 1300ft of elevation gain over a run that I know for a fact is less than 1/4 of that! WTF Garmin??

I was panicking a little at how it felt to maintain usual LR pace, not BAD but tougher than it should have felt, it turns out it was a little faster - 8:27 pace over 10.77 miles when I mapped it out versus 8:40ish over 10.5, wherever the hell Garmin pulled that from without a map. I'll take it.

GinnyinPA

Lauren - I've had a few of those crazy runs where Garmin said I was running a 2:30 mile or where it dropped me off the edge of a cliff and then back up 1500 feet - only there was no cliff.  I have no idea what is happening when it does that.  The weird paces are usually only the first mile or so, but it is odd to be jogging slowly along and seeing the watch tell me I'm flying.

Jerry - I knew there was a cold front coming soon, but I'm not ready for freezing yet.  I still have tomatoes on the vine.

It's raining here. Cold wet walk with Ben.  I may try the TM this afternoon.  My knee still hurts when I bend it, but since I can walk all right, I want to try to jog. If that doesn't work, I may try the bike.  Not being able to exercise is driving me even more crazy than usual.

PADRunner

LR this morning not sure how far yet.

Good luck D.

From the Internet.

Lauren - I've had a few of those crazy runs where Garmin said I was running a 2:30 mile or where it dropped me off the edge of a cliff and then back up 1500 feet - only there was no cliff.  I have no idea what is happening when it does that.  The weird paces are usually only the first mile or so, but it is odd to be jogging slowly along and seeing the watch tell me I'm flying.

Jerry - I knew there was a cold front coming soon, but I'm not ready for freezing yet.  I still have tomatoes on the vine.

It's raining here. Cold wet walk with Ben.  I may try the TM this afternoon.  My knee still hurts when I bend it, but since I can walk all right, I want to try to jog. If that doesn't work, I may try the bike.  Not being able to exercise is driving me even more crazy than usual.

The crazy thing was that the pace didn't look too far off most of the time! Never told me anything really wacky, just a little slower overall than I would have expected. I went back and looked at the elevation chart just for fun and there are a bunch of places where I climb or drop 30-50 feet in a matter of seconds, lol.

Today: volunteered at my club's 5K, felt weird not to be running it this year but I LOVE being part of all the behind-the-scenes setup/breakdown stuff. Ate free pizza and then came home and jogged 4.5, burping the whole way  Got my legs moving though, which is all I really needed to do today.

GinnyinPA

We had 20 mph winds today, so I drove to town to run so I could get some protection from the houses. I started with the run heading into the wind, which wore me out a bit, but I managed 8 miles. The knee was fine while running, but hurt a bit before and afterwards.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

7.2 this morning, mostly around 10:00.  Possible PR next weekend?