Beginners and Beyond

Runner problems: Packing for vacation (Read 102 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I am packing for my first vacation as "a runner." Dude, this makes it WAY more complicated. I had the hardest time fitting everything I "need" into a suitcase as it WAS before I had to worry about running stuff.

Now on top of making sure I pack enough:

Pajamas, casual clothes, dressy-ish clothes, bras, underwear, bathing suits and coverups, sandals, flip flops, toiletry items, make-up, ect.

I need to make sure I have:

My Garmin (and charger!), my hydration belt, running visors, running socks, running shoes, running underwear, sports bras, running clothes, Body Glide....THANKS, running, for DOUBLING the amount of stuff I need to fit in a suitcase!!!

At least I am going to a warm weather climate and warm weather stuff takes up less room than cold weather stuff....

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Why do you need so much?  This might be a good time to experiment with more minimal running practices.  If you're running gear is seriously doubling what you're taking then you're taking too much.

Garmin, charger, socks and maybe even underwear and body glide can be rolled and stuffed into your shoes.  Shorts and top with your sports bra can be rolled up to take up a minimal amount of space.  You should only need one pair of shorts and a top anyway.  Rinse when you're done and roll in a towel to dry.

Have a good trip.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Run less, vacation more.  Problem solved.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

These are 2 very important weeks in my plan. Besides, this isn't a fun sightseeing type vacation.....the first week will be visiting my grandma, who doesn't really get out and "do" much. As much as I love my mom and grandma, getting out for a run everyday will likely be the only time to myself and the only time active. I'm really looking forward, too, to be able to run the miles I want without panicking about not getting home in time to get ready for work.

Run less, vacation more.  Problem solved.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Rolled and stuffed into shoes.....genius! I'm the worst at space saving ideas

Why do you need so much?  This might be a good time to experiment with more minimal running practices.  If you're running gear is seriously doubling what you're taking then you're taking too much.

Garmin, charger, socks and maybe even underwear and body glide can be rolled and stuffed into your shoes.  Shorts and top with your sports bra can be rolled up to take up a minimal amount of space.  You should only need one pair of shorts and a top anyway.  Rinse when you're done and roll in a towel to dry.

Have a good trip.

TJoseph

I travel a lot and am currently on a three week trip.  I only need two pairs of shorts, shirts, and socks.  I rinse them out in the tub after my run and hang them up.  They are completely dry in a couple of days even in the humid weather in Guam.  I just alternate between the two sets of clothes.  I also have a small zippered pouch for my Garmin, charger, and road ID.

meaghansketch

I hear you-- for me, it's just my shoes that take up so much darn room!  If I want to run on vacation I know I need to pack an extra bag, because my running shoes take up so much space.

happylily

I agree with Cookie.

I often vacation in Mexico and when I go, my running skirts double as regular skirts (the black ones are great for that). Same for some of my running tops. That's why I don't mind paying a little extra for my running clothes, they have two purposes... I bring one pair of running shoes and they serve me as walking shoes (I take a pair that's on its last days). Running underwear (bras and socks) I don't have. I just use my regular stuff. And I bring a small container of laundry soap to wash my clothes on a daily basis, then leave it to dry on the balcony. What I do bring too many of are dressy clothes, such as fancy dresses and shoes. No need for that, one or two dresses are enough.

Have a great vacation, run happily and hug your grandma a lot!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Just B.S.

I am packing for my first vacation as "a runner." Dude, this makes it WAY more complicated. I had the hardest time fitting everything I "need" into a suitcase as it WAS before I had to worry about running stuff.

We have this problem X 2.

The most important thing we do is have all of our absolutely necessary running stuff/gear as

our carry on bag. Especially when travelling for a race. We stuff things into the shoes and every

nook and cranny. Rolling clothing is a must as well as items that can do double duty. My running

jacket becomes my "everything" jacket. Running skirts are great for wearing on the plane. Two

pairs of running shoes, one for the race, one on my feet, no other footwear.

We are running a marathon in Ireland at the end of Sept, plus touring for 10 days, plus have another

marathon 4 weeks after  that is our fall goal race. Not getting in our runs while we are away really

isn't an option.

Sealable plastic bags are a must for when you cannot wash/dry your clothes. We are changing

hotels quite a few times in Ireland and it wont always be possible to wash/dry the same day.

I am already trying to work it all out in my head and planning packing strategies.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks guys for the tips.... I am just a SUPER stressed out packer as it is, because my biggest fear is being underprepared, so I ALWAYS overpack (but what if we go out to decent places for dinner FOUR times, I don't want to keep wearing the same dress.....what if every day is colder than the forecast....what if we do xyz and I don't have zyz) so adding another facet of things I needed to bring was not jiving well with my mind. I need to remember that I have access to a washer and drier for the first 2 legs of my trip (grandma's for 6 days, then my aunt's for 2) and only have to stay in hotels for the last 4 nights...and the bit about running clothes being versitile is important. my shorts and running shirts are great "just hanging out" clothes too, and my running skirts can totally double as regular skirts too! Never thought of rolling and shoving into shoes....this stuff is gold!

Just B.S.

Kristin, my motto is "whatever I forgot or need I can always buy"......well if you are in a city Big grin

I have a black knit knee length dress that is worth it's weight in gold! You can stuff those

suckers in a suitcase, dress up with a scarf or a different necklace and no one will know

it's the same outfit.

hog4life

Have fun! I usually put my stuff into a gym bag or back pack. I am good at space saving too, guys at work wonder how I get so much food/stuff into my lunch box, ha.

LRB

I am with lily; a lot of my running gear can serve as casual gear, and my underwear, socks are runner/causal friendly.

I also take a few plastic store bags (that we all have a million of) in case something needs to be transported that is wet.

Docket_Rocket

The word that caught my attention is running underwear.  I've never wore any of that.

I usually don't run on vacation but I might bring one outfit to run if I am on vacation and run maybe once or twice.  But even the shoes and 1-2 pairs of tops and one short takes too much space especially when you travel light.  I feel you.

Every time I have a destination marathon I start leaving normal stuff out to accommodate my running stuff.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Love the Half

I envision one seriously stressed out vacation.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).