Beginners and Beyond

Snowy Saturdailies (Read 40 times)

GinnyinPA

Anybody running today?

We have snow in the forecast, but I think I  can get out before it starts for an easy 8.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Just got back from 4. Bright and sunny. Hard to believe it's supposed to start snowing in a few hours. I overdressed.

Cyberic

Anybody running today?

Ran a little short of 19 miles, with 2 x 4 miles @ MP effort. There were parts of the botanical garden on asphalt, there was some snow, some icy spots, lots of slush and lots of water. Trying to hold a MP pace was too too tiring and dangerous in those conditions. So I went for MP effort... which is approximative, of course.

sdWhiskers

6 easy miles including a big hill. Temps in the 60s and sunny.

Was watching slopestyle skiing last night.  I had no idea that it was possible to ski downhill backwards! OK then.

Was watching slopestyle skiing last night.  I had no idea that it was possible to ski downhill backwards! OK then.

Yet that is nowhere near the top of the list of things I'm seeing that do not actually seem possible.

Dave

sdWhiskers

Yet that is nowhere near the top of the list of things I'm seeing that do not actually seem possible.

True.

I also think the short track speed skating must be a lot harder than it looks. Not a fan of the sandbagging in the early laps though.

Cyberic

Short track skating I don't like much,  because of all the DQs. You can finish 4th or 5th and and still hope for a medal. Weird.

delicate flower

Hello internet!

Anybody running today?

I raced this morning, if that counts.  Ran a 10K in 40:58.  26 seconds off a PR, but I'm very happy with my race.  I was thinking I'd run 42-43 minutes.  My tendinitis seems to be behind me and I am looking forward to faster races.  I could have done better too, but I ran conservatively the first half of the race because I didn't know how rusty or slow I'd be.  I hauled ass the last mile.  Even though it is downhill, it was still the fastest I ever ran the last mile (I've raced this course 10-12 times between the 5K and 10K).  8 OA and 2 AG...I am guessing about 100 in the race.  Beautiful morning for a winter race...30 degrees and sunny.  10 miles total with w/u and c/d.  Good times.

I just housed some grocery store sushi, so all is good in my world.

<3

Cyberic

Hello internet!

I raced this morning, if that counts.  Ran a 10K in 40:58.  26 seconds off a PR, but I'm very happy with my race.  I was thinking I'd run 42-43 minutes.  My tendinitis seems to be behind me and I am looking forward to faster races.  I could have done better too, but I ran conservatively the first half of the race because I didn't know how rusty or slow I'd be.  I hauled ass the last mile.  Even though it is downhill, it was still the fastest I ever ran the last mile (I've raced this course 10-12 times between the 5K and 10K).  8 OA and 2 AG...I am guessing about 100 in the race.  Beautiful morning for a winter race...30 degrees and sunny.  10 miles total with w/u and c/d.  Good times.

I just housed some grocery store sushi, so all is good in my world.

Good work! How was the ground/pavement? Clear? Wet? Snowy?...

Half Crazy K 2.0

True.

I also think the short track speed skating must be a lot harder than it looks. Not a fan of the sandbagging in the early laps though.

Short track reminds me of the track cycling where it is basically leisurely roll around the track and then go all out for 1 lap.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  Ran 3 at OTF full of hills, speed, and everything he thought to throw at us.  3 more later.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

Good work! How was the ground/pavement? Clear? Wet? Snowy?...

Almost totally clear of snow and ice...just some very small piles around some corners that were easily avoidable, but otherwise clear sailing.  Lots of potholes though so I had to pay attention.

<3

Runshortii

Baboon - nice job!!

i was supposed to run 18 and 4 tomorrow but I ran the 4 today and I’ll do 18 tomorrow. My quads are still like jelly from squats on thursday

zzyzx

Penultimate training for my 15k did not go according to plan. Between the steady rain and the 20-30 mph winds, it was tough going. The ground was slick so I couldn't take advantage of downhills. Plan was to do between 8-9 miles with more hills. Instead I stopped at 6.3 (albeit with the hill addition) and then I did 1.5 miles on the treadmill later. Close enough I guess. The wind/rain exhausted me to the point where I almost stepped off the treadmill a few times so I figured better 7.8 than 8.2 but with an injury.

Booyah! Nice job.

Now let's change the subject and talk about people who are running more slowly than they should be. Did not post yesterday, but had 10 with 4 miles at "steady state" pace. I could not remember exactly what that meant, but whatever it was I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to hit it anyway, so didn't bother to look it up. (I think roughly HMP.) I tried to go for a tempo-ish effort, but could not muster anything faster than MP, about 7:50. I really did try to run faster, I just couldn't. Normally I'd at least be able to pick up the pace a little with each mile, but nothing doing. Ugh. I actually tried to help myself out a bit by avoiding the loop route I typically use for 10+ miles, since the faster portion would've had a lot of uphill. Instead I did an out & back route, and the back ended up into a 15mph wind. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, won't get fooled again.

5 miles today.

Dave