Beginners and Beyond

Labor Day Weekend Penguins (Read 18 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!

I'm going to do my long run today.  I thought it was supposed to be 15 miles, but that's next weekend.  I only have 10 to do today which is nice.  The storm should be hitting NYC tomorrow so I figured it is better to get the LR over with today when it won't be so windy.

DH and I don't have any exciting labor day plans -- just packing and trying to get rid of as much stuff as we can before we move.   My mom was going to host a BBQ but since it'll be raining (or at the very least very windy) on Monday that's not going to be happening.

If all goes well we have less than 3 weeks until we close on the house and less than 4 weeks until we move there.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Morning Jill. Have a great  LR.  Hope you have a smooth closing and move.

Same for us, maybe 10 to make my goal.

Quiet weekend.  DD1 is out of town.  Going into the city for dinner with DD2 on Sunday.  Another gastropub.

Have a great long weekend Pens !!

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  I have Barre class and maybe some miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Chili in the crock pot and we were out of beer, so I drove to town to do my run and buy a case of Smithwicks.  There are a lot of interesting Oktoberfest beers out now, but since we have to buy by the case here, I wasn't too adventurous this time.  I'll try some of those on our beer runs. What I remember from last autumn is that the pumpkin beers don't really taste all that pumpkiny.  Anyhow, I got 5 miles done in a mostly shady neighborhood. It may be cooler than last week, but it still feels like summer.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Chili in the crock pot and we were out of beer, so I drove to town to do my run and buy a case of Smithwicks.  There are a lot of interesting Oktoberfest beers out now, but since we have to buy by the case here, I wasn't too adventurous this time.  I'll try some of those on our beer runs. What I remember from last autumn is that the pumpkin beers don't really taste all that pumpkiny.  Anyhow, I got 5 miles done in a mostly shady neighborhood. It may be cooler than last week, but it still feels like summer.

No Yuengling, Ginny?

Docket_Rocket

No Yuengling, Ginny?

Anything else is not beer!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

I got a 4 mile trail run yesterday and a 5k today. New AG.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I got a 4 mile trail run yesterday and a 5k today. New AG.

Good luck with the new AG, PAD.

PADRunner

Good luck with the new AG, PAD.

Thanks. 10th out of 15 AG, and 267 of 609. A friend won Female masters and got tickets to a suite for the game today! Game time.

Zelanie

Congrats, PAD!

I had a nice little run by the river with the dogs, both yesterday and today.  It's just enough cooler that it's really nice running weather.  It would probably feel too warm if I wasn't finally used to summer weather.

Today was the last day of base building and tomorrow "real" marathon training starts.  The good news is, I finally have been running consistently, and have been streaking for 5 weeks.  At the start of the summer, it was hard for me to even string 2 good weeks together.  Plus, Garmin says I've gained 2 V02 Max.

Docket_Rocket

Ran 20 with 5 @ MP + 10%, then progressive to HMP at the end.

Congrats, PAD!

Z, nice run!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Damaris - impressive run.

Z - I'm glad that running is going so well for you now.  Which race are you going to be training for?

PAD - yours must be a speedy AG.  Nice placement overall.

Jerry - Yeungling is okay, but not a favorite.  I like their black and tan better than the lager. I hope you had fun with DD2.

I did 9 painfully slow miles.  I'm still not used to the heat after so long away.  I'll be doing a lot of TM miles this week when we get back up to the 90's.

Zelanie

Ginny, I'm running the California International Marathon.  I won't be doing an "all out" sort of training program, but do hope to be prepared enough to enjoy the experience and use my running as a way to de-stress from all of the other things that I'm doing.

Sorry that the heat is still lingering over there!  Do you have anywhere that it's safe to run after dark?  That was what worked for me when it got so hot here, but I have a park that's pretty safe at night, so I didn't have to worry about cars.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Humidity is back, so short run for us today.  Both DD's/DSIL/Pittie coming over for BBQ and we are out of beer Sad

Enjoy the Holiday !!!