Beginners and Beyond

wakey wakey Wednesdailies (Read 37 times)

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Yawn... I've got 7 or 8 tonight pending snow.  Whatcha go?

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

bluerun

Super B****

6.5 on the AlterG -- looks like I made the right call with running yesterday instead of today.  Black ice is not my friend.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I get to run today, yay.  4 and weights.  The sniffling is almost done and all I have is chest congestion. My husband is apparently just starting to get this plague.  GOOD!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

6 miles in a drizzle.

And, my suitcase finally arrived, delivered to my house around 5:30  AM. Only took them a week.

Dave

LRB

Apparently a meteor landed about. 4 miles north of me at around 8:15 last night, the impact of which registered 2.0 on the Richter scale.  I neither saw it or heard its impact as I was well into my second glass of wine at that time and feeling no pain. 

delicate flower

I think it's time I accept that hard truth that I am becoming an old man and need to buy reading glasses.

<3

bluerun

Super B****

I ORDERED MY WATCH!!  (Decided not to trade it in because after Garmin charges me tax it would be more like 10% off, and I paid less than that thanks to an accumulation of Amazon gift cards.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Cyberic

Run commute today. The first steps made me remember I have a groin area issue (I'll try to avoid false medical terms from now on). Felt the ping in the muscle/tendon or whatever for about 1 to 1.5 miles and then I was fine.

onemile

Run commute today. The first steps made me remember I have a groin area issue (I'll try to avoid false medical terms from now on). Felt the ping in the muscle/tendon or whatever for about 1 to 1.5 miles and then I was fine.

I don't know that a pull is a medical term and feel free to call it that! I just thought that sounded pretty serious!

Cyberic

I think it's time I accept that hard truth that I am becoming an old man and need to buy reading glasses.

I have myopic vision, and I can still read fine without glasses. But when I'm wearing contact lenses I can't read anymore. So some days I only wear one contact lens, and my brain rewires itself to use the left eye for reading and the right eye (contact lens) for far away seeing.

I'll soon need to but bi-focal (or ehatever they're called ) contact lenses and glasses.  

Cyberic

I don't know that a pull is a medical term and feel free to call it that! I just thought that sounded pretty serious!

Yeah, no worries there. I try to be clear when I communicate, so if I notice that my wording causes a confusion, I'll try to avoid that wording after. In English it happens to me a lot. But in that case it would have happened in French too, as I would have said the same thing.

It's an old "injury" that comes and goes. I was ok for many months and then hurt it again in November or December racing my friend on his bicycle. It got a bit better, then made it worse again from running in shitty conditions. It doesn't freak me out too much because I "know" it.

zzyzx

I have early meetings for the next week so had to cut it short.. 3 types of lifting and 24 minutes on the exercise bike.

sdWhiskers

30 min at the gym last night doing shoulders and back with my trainer. Felt good to do something that didn't use my still-tired legs.

On my walk to the gym, I came across 2 guys with 2 dogs, where one was leashed and one wasn't. The unleashed one was running around a bit crazy and I almost had a panic attack. For background: last summer while also walking to the gym through my neighborhood, a loose german shepherd jumped on me and bit my arm which was slightly/very traumatic. You know, one of those "really good dogs that wouldn't hurt anyone"   I still freak out a little when I see a dog running around but thankfully no incident last night.

GC100k

I always had freakishly excellent vision. Then one time I was trying to read on a plane in dim light and had to strain. I saw a reading glass kiosk at the next airport and got some. That was 10 years ago (age 45). For the next few years I used them every so often when in dim light or something. Now I rarely read anything without glasses and I even take them to the store to read labels. Did I rely on glasses more because my eyesight got worse, or did my eyesight get worse because I relied more on glasses?

btw, probably an indoor run for me tonight. Too busy at work to get out and new snow outside.

Cyberic

30 min at the gym last night doing shoulders and back with my trainer. Felt good to do something that didn't use my still-tired legs.

On my walk to the gym, I came across 2 guys with 2 dogs, where one was leashed and one wasn't. The unleashed one was running around a bit crazy and I almost had a panic attack. For background: last summer while also walking to the gym through my neighborhood, a loose german shepherd jumped on me and bit my arm which was slightly/very traumatic. You know, one of those "really good dogs that wouldn't hurt anyone"   I still freak out a little when I see a dog running around but thankfully no incident last night.

I had big dogs, like GS size, all the time I lived at my parents'. I didn't realize then that it can be pretty scary to see a big dog lunge at you even if it's on a leash. By the time the brain processes that the dog is on a leash, there is a human on the other side of the leash, all is ok, no danger there, the stress level can temporarily go quite high on some people.

I can imagine how your stress level gets really high when you see a dog after you got bitten.

I also wonder if the dogs can actually feel that you're scared/stressed and that some dogs will act more alpha if they sense that. It then becomes a vicious circle og you get bitten, you're more scared, and because you're more scared, you get attacked more.