Beginners and Beyond

Ever wanna fall asleep whilst running? (Or at least close your eyes? You know you do!).... (Read 92 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

So I saw somebody say it in Rick's "high" thread.  I often have this feeling, especially on longer runs where I'm just covering mileage and know its gonna be a while.

I'll be heading down the road and if I get a nice long straight, do the "self check" to make sure my shoulders, neck & face are relaxed.  If I'm in that "groove" for speed, I'll even close my eyes for as long as I can trust myself to run straight and just make everything above my chest TOTALLY relax!  I love the feeling, especially cuz I can envision trees & houses moving by me faster than they really are.

But, of course, I eventually open my eyes so I don't run into a parked car or block wall or something.

Randy

Love the Half

Hell, I sleep during races.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Docket_Rocket

I did NYCM asleep:

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Yes, when it's dark and cold and there are icicles on my eyelids, I'll give them a rest on the run.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Awesome pics!  (I think I remember both of those....LOL)

I had to swap the pic in the OP cuz it wasn't animating.  All good now.  That's about what I'd look like (if THAT graceful) while running straight into a wall.

I like keeping my eyes closed as long as possible to see how much closer to the end of the block/road/trail I get.

Randy

meaghansketch

I have a friend who tells me she would regularly take 'little naps' during her long runs.  Don't know how that really worked, but she seemed to think it helped.  As far as I know she never fell down or ran into anything.

LRB

I dozed off during a 1 mile race:

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Best thread ever....lol

Yes, I try to relax while running, and sometimes my eyelids get a bit heavy.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

All the time!!  It's like taking a nap and getting a workout at the same time.  Ultimate multi tasking!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Very adept at sleep running:

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

happylily

You people need to wear sunglasses to hide your poor work ethics during races. I never forget mine! Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hip Redux

These photos are hilarious lol

Love the Half

The ability to sleep comes naturally in my family.  This is how I found my youngest this morning when I went into her room.  (And no, she is not actually missing an arm).

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

The ability to sleep comes naturally in my family. 

That is hilarious man!

happylily

The ability to sleep comes naturally in my family.  This is how I found my youngest this morning when I went into her room.  (And no, she is not actually missing an arm).

Awww... so cute! If I were her mom, I'd have tickled her belly. Yes, I'm mean like that. Evil

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010