Beginners and Beyond

Peanut Butter and Jelly for Thursday Penguins (Read 22 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Thanks for starting us off, Scotty.  I eagerly await the cute penguin photos that I'm sure are forthcoming.

Traci, I'm sorry you feel so bad.  Hope you don't have to crawl this weekend.

I'm going to run something this morning.  Not sure what.  I don't have a training plan right now, so I feel lost!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy April 2nd!  Did a 5K last night at 6:30 PM.  OK, since it was April Fools the RD actually shortened it a tad and made it a 3-miler.  I finished in 32:27 for first in my 'old man' age group.  About a 100 or so showed up.  Weather was perfect for me, lol, but probably warm for everyone else:  83 degrees and humidity in the 90% range as thunderstorms were threatening, but never developed thankfully.  Nice post-race party with beer, sausage wraps, cookies, etc.  Very nice tech-tee race shirt too.  I will post my report and photos tonite.

April 2nd is National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day!  I'll take the PB but pass on jelly, which I don't like.

Other April 2nd Holidays:

International Children's Book Day

If You Were a Penguin

National Ferret Day

ferret mole penguin by lopez805            
        National Love Your Produce Manager Day

Fresh salad with eggs decorated as penguins, funny kid food - stock ...         

Reconciliation Day

World Autism Day

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good morning Penguins!

Thanks for starting us off, Scotty.  I eagerly await the cute penguin photos that I'm sure are forthcoming.

Traci, I'm sorry you feel so bad.  Hope you don't have to crawl this weekend.

I'm going to run something this morning.  Not sure what.  I don't have a training plan right now, so I feel lost!

I haven't had a training plan in years, lol, and I am having a BLAST!   Remember when you were a kid and just went out and ran with no thought in mind? You just...ran!    Do that again for a while!  It's great running with 'no pressure' to perform in a certain way.   Just go out and run how you feel, go longer if you feel good, go shorter if you get out there and find 'today' is not your day.

Brilliant

I haven't had a training plan in years, lol, and I am having a BLAST!   Remember when you were a kid and just went out and ran with no thought in mind? You just...ran!    Do that again for a while!  It's great running with 'no pressure' to perform in a certain way.   Just go out and run how you feel, go longer if you feel good, go shorter if you get out there and find 'today' is not your day.

But then every morning when I check in at the igloo, I'll have to say, "I'm going to run something today," while most of you are posting, "I'm going to run 8 recovery miles" or "5 with strides" or, whatever!  Well I guess there are worse things.  

tracilynn

Morning penguins!

Hey scotty and Brilliant

I have followed plans and I have also just 'gone with the flow'   I'm not sure which I like better.

I'm not running but doing my PT exercises daily. The muscle in my shin that is so messed up is twitching A LOT. It woke me up last night. It's not a cramp and not painful, it just twitches, like its dying or something. Weird.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

I don't have a plan right now, but I do like having a little structure in my week.  I try to have at least a weekly mileage target, speedwork, and whether I want a LR or not.  That way I'm not totally making it up as I go along- too much brainpower required!

Last night I ran 10, and they were great.  Tonight I have an evening meeting, but may squeeze in 4 when I get home.  Or not.

Scotty- I will join you in enjoying a peanut butter-no jelly!

Traci- My quad that was messing up my knee started twitching all the time when I was almost done with physical therapy and things were healing.  Hopefully it's something similar for you!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, I got the bread made last night for Maundy Thursday services tonight, so I'm still managing to keep up with everything.  Tonight will be church rather than chorus, and I'll stay an extra half-hour or so to run over the Easter music with my choir director, since I've missed several practices.  And thankfully, on Saturday I have a massage!!

Brilliant -- have a good time running something!!  And hey, I never post about running, because I never run!!  So running "something" is totally fine.

Scotty -- Woo-hoo for your AG win!!

traci -- Maybe that's a sign the PT is helping, if that muscle is spasming?  I have to call and get my own appointment scheduled.

Zelanie -- Woo-hoo for your great 10!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

No running for me and I'm not going to complain and be a downer, but I am sick of it. DD1 just got back from some college tours and she has decided to go to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. It's on the central coast of CA about 3.5 hours north of us and she might even run for them.

In other news I am on spring break after today! So.... I will continue on my core work, rest and ice the knee and next week I am going up to the local mountains for a few nights by myself. DW and the kids will be back at work and school so I am going to have some quiet time with some books, beer, Clash of Clans, and maybe even a few short runs.

See ya.

From the Internet.

It's kind of fun not having a training plan - I've actually never used one  I have loose plans/goals for my weekly workouts and weekly mileage, but I modify them based on how my legs are feeling. With an actual, written-out plan I worry that I'd feel compelled to hit every workout even if it would be better for me to take a day off or shuffle things around.

Today very nearly killed me. Maybe that's a little overdramatic :P 10 miles with 6 at GHMP, that beast has been terrifying me all week and I woke up with my mental game totally not there. Few seconds off pace for all but the last mile, but I got it done and it's behind me now.

From the Internet.

Jack enjoy your spring break! Hope you get some nice easy runs in there with no pain or fuss.

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  I have 10 with 6 at MP tonight.  Most likely on the TM because it's hot.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brilliant

Well, I ran "something."  Big grin  I ended up with a total of 6.3 miles, including 4 400s at the college track, which I have never ever done before!  It was just for fun.  When I uploaded my run I noticed the 400s got progressively faster; is that normal? (I was very well warmed up with >2 miles when I hit the track).

Zel, have a nice run.  Or not! Smile

Jack, have a great spring break.  It sounds very relaxing.

Lauren, I'm glad the run didn't actually kill you. 

HopesMom, Traci, Damaris - HI!

GinnyinPA

Scotty - how can you not like jelly?  Do you eat honey on your peanut butter?  Good job on the AG win yesterday.

Brilliant - most of my running has been without a schedule, but like Zelanie, I have a weekly mileage goal.  This marathon has been the first time I've actually stuck to a plan and I've done better than expected, mostly because I'm so worried about getting more injured, I don't play around with it too much.

Jack - when and how did you mess up your knee?  You've said you were hurt, but I thought it was still the ankle.  I hope you enjoy your time in the mountains.  Going to Big Bear?

Traci - try to massage your leg as much as possible.  I get twitchy feet at night sometimes and massage always calms them down.

Z - good job on last night's ten.  Good luck with your evening meeting.

Damaris - have fun on the TM.  Your cold spell didn't last very long.

Hopesmom - good luck learning your music for Easter.  I'm sure you'll enjoy the massage.

Lauren - good job on the GHMP run.  I'm glad it didn't really kill you.

AFM:  We're having a temporary warm-up here, with sunshine and temps in the mid-60s so I'll do 5 or 6 outside after we walk Ben.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Ginny: I am just a mess. Right when my ankle thing cleared up I wrecked my knee. After googling it for hours I am pretty sure that it is a bad case of runner's knee and after reading about the causes, symptoms, and treatments I think I hurt it in my last HM that I should have jogged but didn't. There was a long, steep downhill of four miles and I think that did it to me.  Now I just have to take off more time and ice it. After taking off a full week I tried a short run on Tuesday and it hurt after 1.5 miles.  I have really had a run of bad luck. Oh well, it could be worse, I suppose.

Enjoy your warm miles.