Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos - My 76th race of 2017 - Disabled Vets (DAV) 5K (Read 17 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.   

Slide show of photos only:  http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%2076%20DAV%205K?sort=2 

BEFORE THE START

This was my 76th race of 2017, giving me an all-time high for number of races done in a single year. The DV (Disabled Vets) 5K is a race held in several cities across the US.  This was the inaugural one for the San Antonio location.  Held on Nov 4th at Alamo Beer near downtown San Antonio.  There was also a motorcycle honor ride for those who wanted to do that.   9 a.m. start time for the 5K so I got to sleep in a bit.  Arrived onsite with about an hour to go to the start time and wandered around taking some photos.

On site at Alamo Beer, with historic Hays Street Bridge above

Me with old friends and new friends

Various participants, volunteers, supporters, etc. 

In the start area

On one of the bridge supports....

Selfie with my old-time camera lol....and here we go!

ON THE COURSE

Start was on a street just adjacent to the brewery.  After a young lady beautifully sang The National Anthem, we had a countdown and then we were off. Down the street near the brewery, make a turn and up a hill we go, almost right off the bat, but a pretty mild hill - at least it was for me anyway, since I do regular hill training - then down a couple more streets that took us to the Historic Hays Street Bridge and up that we went.  This side was the 'shorter' hill side of the bridge, thank goodness.  If we'd started on the other side, that climb is a bit longer and tougher.  So down the other side, right turn on Austin Street (street named, for those that know San Antonio), and then we did a route down to Grayson Street, where we turned around and headed back to the brewery.   I guess some of the runners more toward the front than most of us got a bit confused and went straight instead of making a turn, as there was no volunteer there to direct them on the right path;  just a police officer and he did not know the course, he was only there for the street closure.  I don't know that the outcome was for those folks that missed the turn, but by the time I got there, everything was cool and we were all going the correct way.  I don't have a garmin or anything like that to tell me my distance, just my good ole timing watch which tells me when to take my walk breaks; but I know about how long it takes me to do a 5K and as I got closer to the finish I kept thinking either I am way slower today or I should be done already.  I finished in 35:28 and found out after I finished the course was actually long - 3.4 miles instead of 3.1  OK, made me feel better that I was not slowing down, lol, was going at my usual pace.  I ended up 5th in my age group.

On the bridge, looking back at the people coming to the bridge..

Leading the leader....

and here comes the leader

I thought this was funny, this lady was out walking horses on the closed course...my first though "Here comes my ride!" lol.

This guy is AWESOME!  And fast too.  He was way ahead of me. Inspiring!!!

AFTER THE FINISH

All the veterans - and there were a lot of us there today - got a nicely designed finisher medal. I stayed near the finish line area for a while getting some photos, then wandered back over to the brewery area.  And, of course, sent it was Alamo Beer location hosting, there was also post-race Alamo beer, my personal favorite locally brewed beer - with local Freetail Brewery running a pretty close second, they have some excellent beer too.  So got my beer, relaxed a bit, and continued off-and-on to wander around getting more photos. Really nice presentation done by DAV organization during the closing ceremonies and then the top overall folks got their medals.

My friend Albert finishing up

These were some of the guys who did the Honor Motorcycle Ride

My friend's son finishing up...

Some of the DAV 5K volunteers...thanks!

Our MC from a local radio station

With new friend, this awesome guy!

Alamo Beer staff...thanks for the beer, ladies!

And right before I left....a photo of the now empty Hays Street Bridge...with downtown Tower of the Americas behind it in the right corner

EPILOGUE

I am glad this one turned out to be #76 for the year for me.  I wanted it to be this one...ran with my fellow vets, I am also somewhat disabled, dealing with my arthritis, etc - and when I run on Fort Sam Houston or Lackland Air Force Base, the disabled vets I see out there always motivate me so much, help keep me going.   You fellow vets are one of the reasons I was able to get 76 races for the year.  NEVER GIVE UP!!! So thank you so much to all of you, whoever you may be.. all of you inspire me!

A very nicely organized event - even if the course was long, but what the heck, it was actually a pretty good course.  DAV just ought to keep this course and make it a 3.4 mile race - kind of a different distance from most races.  And, of course, get a volunteer on that corner where some folks headed in the wrong direction.  Just a couple of glitches, to be expected for an inaugural event.  Overall, however, went really nicely;  a really good event with a nice turn-out.  One nice unique thing:  if you are a veteran and registered by a certain date, your race shirt came with your branch of service listed on it; i thought that was a nice touch.  I would definitely do this one again and would recommend it to others.

MUCHO THANKS to all the people who made this one possible for we participants:  DAV, organizers, sponsors, volunteers, iaapweb for doing the timing, results, etc, law enforcement out there for us, Alamo Beer for use of its grounds and facilities, and so many more...my apologies if I did not mention you.  Without all of you, no event for all of us...so thank you very much!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on a new record number of races. I thought you might be heading to a new record, and you still have almost two months before the end of the year.

That looks like a hilly course all the way. Looks like fun though.

Coastal

Cool report.  Enjoyed it.  Missed seeing these over at RWOL.

76 races this year so far????

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Cool report.  Enjoyed it.  Missed seeing these over at RWOL.

76 races this year so far????

I tend to stay busy during the year, lol, with lots of races.  Last year I did 75 total.  I am ahead of that this year.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Nice report, Scotty. And 76 races?  You alwaysamaze!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page