Beginners and Beyond

Question on the Heel to toe drop (Read 136 times)

Zelanie

I was wearing all 12mm drops, but tried on some 8mm Triumphs at the store and really liked them.  Now I'm rotating between those and a pair of Kinvaras (4mm).  The LRS said that the lower drop can stress your calves if you're a true heel striker, but that they also work to encourage a more midfoot strike for most runners.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I thought alternating shoes is recommended by some, so would it be a good thing to alternate between different heel drops.    This assumes the low heel drop isn't causing you problems.  Just a thought  ???

Misty

When I started running I went with Brooks PureCadence (3mm drop) because that's what felt best. I'm on my 5th pair and just ran my first marathon in them on Sunday. A few months ago I tried a shoe with a 9mm drop and it messed my gait up so much that I developed knee pain after the second run in them.  I ditched them and after a few days of running in "my shoes" the pain went away and never came back.

So the heel/toe drop is very important and can have a big impact on your gait.

Misty

Bless your heart.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yeah, I just bought two pairs that have a 9-10mm drop compared to my 13mm drop and another shoe with a 3-4mm drop, we will see how things go.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

notimeforthat

I run in the Inspires and Elixirs (for races only) and those have a substantial drop. I agree with Goo. That was a great answer.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

According to my PT, my ITBS was caused by a combination of issues with my hips, calves, and feet.... but the biggest issues is I severely overpronate due to tight calves, Achilles, and plantar fascia and he told me that at this point, zero or minimal drop shoes would be the WORST thing for my biomechanics if I want to run pain-free. LRS put me in stability shoes with custom insoles (Mizuno Wave Inspire 9s) and my PT thinks this is a good choice for me....he recommends stability or even motion control for me. So it depends on your body. Zero drop may work for you, or it may cause major issues depending on your gait.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

For years I'd been wearing the Asics 21xx series which has a 12mm drop. I always had an adjustment period when I got a new pair because I could feel the difference in the heel hitting too soon. It also made so much difference that I gave up wearing my racing flats for races because my foot strike and stride was so difference when switching to the very small drop. I think it's 4 mm. About a year ago I switched to the Saucony Pro Grid Guide 5/6 with an 8mm drop. I immediately noticed the difference and ease of running because I had more flexibility in landing mid-foot and not having the heel hit so soon. I was also able to resume wearing my racing flats for fast speed work and races.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.