Beginners and Beyond

Woo-Hoo for the weekend! Its Friday Penguins! (Read 26 times)

Dad on the run.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

5 this morning at 4am. Avg pace 11:02 with the dogs. Felt pretty good, ITB still hurt but it was manageable (spelling?).

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Philliefan33

Good morning Jimmy.

6-7 at tempo pace planned after work.

Bin Running

Jimmy, morning. Hope the Itbs cont to improve.

Margo, enjoy the tempo later.

Rest day for me today.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

woo-hoo indeed!  Meetings all day, and the rush hour traffic through Chicago.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

hog4life

Jimmy, glad you got some miles in.

Margo, enjoy your run.

Awood, driving in Chicago is ugly. I want to send you a message, RA or FB?

4-5 planned for after work.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

facebook is more phone friendly.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Zelanie

Morning!  Feeling a bit under the weather today.  Luckily it's a RD.  Hopefully I can get over this quickly!

Jimmy- Glad you had a good run!

Margo- Good luck with the tempo!

Bin- Enjoy the RD!

Awood- Good luck in your meetings.

Mitch- Enjoy the after work miles.

Amazonian Princess

G'morning!

So I caught a nasty upper respiratory bug that I thought was just aggravated allergies but turned ugly after last Saturday's 5k. Thru Wednesday I was miserable but yesterday felt well enough to go back to work (congested and sounding "fuddy") and last night I tried to run. Only made it a mile and a half before I started hacking and nearly chucked a lung Joking

What's the deal with running while sick? Most Google stuff says not to run if you have a fever (that part of the cycle is over) and to give it a couple days (I did) but what should I know or be doing?

I can. I will. I am. 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Morning !  work out at health club is done.  Waiting for DW to get back from her workout, then we run.

Feel better bacon and Mel.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Penguins, TGIF!!  I don't have any big plans for the weekend, I just need to stake my beans and encourage my snow peas to grow up the trellis, and I wanted to head to a local orchard to get some apples.  Plus the usual laundry, so definitely a nice leisurely weekend!  More stretching, squats, and clamshells today.

Apropos of nothing, DH bought what looks like a 2 lb bag of M&M's yesterday.  I'm contemplating making some cookies, because I'm sure that would be healthier than just eating them by the handful!  

jblack -- glad your ITB was manageable, but do you have any ideas on how to make it stop hurting?

Phillie -- have a good tempo run!!

Bin -- woo-hoo for your rest day!!

Awood -- meetings and then rush hour?  Blech!

hog -- have a good after work run!!

Zel -- feel better!!

Bacon -- the usual advice is if it's above the neck, go run.  Below the neck, wait and rest.  If you're coughing and hacking, definitely don't run!

Jerryb -- have a nice run with DW!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning! 4 miles tonight.  Wait, what?

I think I might be catching a cold but I know it's the taper talking.

Gotta go!

Damaris

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Parent conferences are knocking me on my butt. Second day of them... bleh.  Rest day from running. DW and both DDs are off to Disneyland tonight with DD's swim team. I might go out with some friends (other XC dads) or I may stay in and watch "School of Rock" with some Newcastles. I'm leaning towards the latter...

Have a good weekend.

Sloooow.

Baconista, I'm such a baby when I'm sick that I don't run if I have a cold. If you have chest congestion, it is definitely best to rest for a couple of days. Feel better soon!

Docket, from last night, it will be tough for you to eat in NOLA. Avoiding dishes with shellfish is easy, but often shellfish is so prolific they use the same fryers, and the same grills for different proteins. I just thought, you are vegetarian, so that will help a bit. On the other hand, I don't know how vegetarian friendly NOLA is, lol. I'm pretty they would consider a fish dish a vegetarian dish. I was a vegetarian for 10 years before I got to the US. I remember a visit to Italy, every time I asked for a vegetarian meal I got a plate full of roasted vegetables like aubergine and courgettes. Can't stand either of them.

Jimmy, glad to see you running easy! Hopefully the pain will get less and less.

Bin, enjoy your rest day.

Philliefan, have a great day at work. Hope your 6-7 goes well.

Awood, tomorrow is Saturday! Stay strong through the busy day Smile

Mitch, hope the 4-5 go well.

Zelanie, sorry you are feeling under the weather. Lots of garlic and vitamin C!

Jerry, have a great run with your DW

HopesMom, hope you have a wonderful weekend and finish everything you need to do. M&M's are deadly for the other half in this house. He is gross though. Puts them in a glass, in the microwave for 20 seconds, then pours milk over them. Bork.

Morning all Smile My pity party is in full swing. Tropical Storm has delayed the cold front that was supposed to get here Saturday morning, to Monday morning. I was so looking forward to temps in the 50's for my last long run before surgery. Now it will be 75F/74DP at 7am. I'm just really disappointed. In fact, Sunday at 4pm is projected to be cooler at 73F with 61 DP. Maybe I will bump my long run until Sunday. I hate running outside during the day, people might see me Dead

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!

It's official, sent my registration off yesterday for the 50k in December.  Should be fun. Smile

8 miles done this morning, very slow, no energy, I've adjusted my diet to work on dropping some more weight before my marathon, and I think I may have adjusted too much, or my body is just taking some time to cope with the reduced calories.  We'll see how the long run goes tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!