Beginners and Beyond

Popcorn Penguins Tuesdaily (Read 15 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Popcorn Day.  What's your favorite?   Caramel please.

1 easy mile planned for me this afternoon. On the track of course.

Docket_Rocket

Ooh, Garrett's Caramel Popcorn!

Morning!  7 with 2 at MP planned for tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I mostly eat plain air popped popcorn.  Sometimes I'll put some nutritional yeast on it... yep, hippie freak here ;-)

Anyway - probably 5 for me on the TM.  I woke up all congested with a bunch of post nasal drip =(  I'm hoping everything will clear up soon.  Also, there's supposed to be a nor'easter saturday night ... I wonder what that will do to my half marathon on Sunday morning...

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Mmm, popcorn!!  DH air pops ours, then butter and salt.  Just the basics, please!!  Of course now I want popcorn, so thanks, Jerryb!  I have quartet rehearsal tonight, because we have a gig tomorrow night.  Then chorus rehearsal on Thursday, and it's supposed to snow a good bit on Friday.  So lots of singing this week!!

Jerryb -- enjoy your easy track mile!!

Docket -- Have a good 7 with a quickie 2!!

Jill -- Have a good 5!!

And major congrats to Lauren!!  Enjoy the tremendous feeling of accomplishment, but don't wallow in it like I did.  So far my Ph.D. is still one of the hardest things I've ever done.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

From the Internet.

I <3 popcorn. I pop mine on the stove with coconut oil and popcorn salt and then add melted butter.

Deadlifts this morning, running some small amount this afternoon.

From the Internet.

And major congrats to Lauren!!  Enjoy the tremendous feeling of accomplishment, but don't wallow in it like I did.  So far my Ph.D. is still one of the hardest things I've ever done.

Thanks!! Big grin I ran an impromptu ultramarathon severely undertrained and that was figuratively (and literally) a walk in the park compared to this.

I have a hard deadline to finish my revisions and get paperwork in order so I can transition to postdoc and continue getting paid, so no time for wallowing here!

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, I pretty much managed to wallow through my postdoc. 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

Another frigid day - 16 feels like 1 degree  at the moment.  Ben will get his short walk (1.5 miles) outside but I'll do my 10 running on the TM. I like popcorn, but rarely eat it since that is another thing DH can't stand.  I used to buy single serving microwave packets when we'd rent movies from Blockbuster, but that was a long time ago.

Jill - I doubt they'll have your race this weekend, at least, not if the forecast is correct.  Accuweather is calling for one to two feet here! Do I believe it?  Not really, but I'm mentally preparing for another 20 on the TM on Sunday.

Jerry - how is the ankle?

Lauren - I remember you saying that you were lucky in having a job post-doc.  I assume it's the same as the one you were doing pre-examination? Enjoy your run later.

Damaris - good luck with your seven this evening.

HopesMom - enjoy your singing week.  Sounds like fun.  Are you and your husband doing any walking or running these days?

Docket_Rocket

Jill, enjoy the TM 5.

HopesMom, enjoy the rehearsal and now I want popcorn too!

Lauren, enjoy the deadlifts and the run.

Ginny, better to be on the TM, I agree.  No worries about pacing in that cold.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

RD for me. I think I'll have popcorn as my afternoon snack, in honor of the day. First I have to get some groceries. We need some food, and the closer the storm gets the crazier the stores will be.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!  I have some popcorn left in a big tin that someone gave us for Christmas.  It's not stale yet; maybe I'll polish it off today.

Ginny, you asked about my training.  Not following a plan; I missed way too many workouts. Just trying to rack up miles at this point. I know your marathon is the same day as mine; what plan are you following?

Hopesmom & Lauren - I didn't realize we had TWO doctors in the igloo!

5 easy miles done this morning.

Wandering Wally

Ooo, popcorn. I don't like popcorn. Not at all. There's a story to go along with that.

Planning on getting out tonight for a few miles in the snow.

Ginny - I wear my trail shoes to run in the snow. The more aggressive tread gives me all the grip I need 95% of the time. If it gets really icy I have some microspikes that I slip on over my shoes. Also, wool socks are the bomb-diggity. There are times when I'll will step into a pile of slush or break through the ice over a pool of melt water. The wool socks keep my toes warm even when wet.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Singer who runs a smidge

No fair, what's the story???

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

2 very easy miles and I walked while DW ran another mile.  No problem with the ankle.