Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILY Penguins - Reality Check! (Read 31 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

This weekend was a definite reality check.

Yesterday was the first day since my race that my legs really felt alive, which is odd coming off of a long run on Saturday in which my legs felt dead from the first step.  Which is why I swapped this weekend's long run with next weekend's long run.

Then, I checked my schedule, and Daniels has me running a 2 hr 20 minute tempo run TOMORROW!!!  I'm so glad I didn't attempt the long run I was supposed to do Saturday.  I wouldn't have made that run, or tomorrow's run.  YIKES!!!

I also realized that I better get one more pair of shoes before my marathon.  I had to order those yesterday, because my LRS was out of them.  They gave me some free stuff for being awesome.

I looked at the rest of my schedule, and my mileage tops out at 42 from this point forward.  WOW...it's getting close to race day.  If I run tomorrow's run and Saturday's long run, that only leaves 6 miles the rest of the week.  I'll probably go over a bit just to keep my sanity.  Maybe just run 30 minutes a day in between?

Then, a guy I know was looking like he was going to BQ his first marathon.  All was going well, and then he picked up the pace early.  Oops!  He ended up taking more than 4 hours.  I AM NOT GOING TO GET COCKY!

Finally, I looked at the pace groups for my marathon.  I was hoping to run a 3:45 in my debut, but they have a 3:40 and a 3:50 pace group.  I'd rather be conservative and be with a pace group.  So, that's what I'm going to do.  The new plan is 3:50 for the debut.  I hear that Monumental gets really lonely between miles 22 and 24 if you aren't in a pack.  That's exactly where I don't need any type of mental challenge.  So, pace group it is.  Also, I averaged that pace for 16 miles as far back as August.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Morning Awood.   Enjoy the tempo's.  Feel good after yesterday's LR. Iced the knees this morning.   Health club and short recovery run after work for me.

Have a great week, peeps!!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

SRD- the universe is repaying me full force for taking last monday when I wasn't really sick and has made me REALLY sick....went to bed at 8:30 last night..... always when I have the important races I get sick before!! UGH. Deep tissue massage tonight to get some kinks worked out before the HM Saturday.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Dad on the run.

Awood - That's a impressive goal, sub 4 hour on your full marathon debut. These plans that some of ya'll are doing is insane, that amount of speed work would kill me Tongue

AFM - 10 yesterday at 11:36m/m. Have 3 easy tonight.

Wife has her 2nd appt this evening and its late enough in the day that I get to go with her. Smile

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

From the Internet.

Morning pens!

Ran my running club's 5K yesterday. My strategy had been kinda hazy - I didn't really want to run it *completely* easy, but I also knew a PR was for sure not going to happen. I ended up deciding during my warmup to just go out steady (maybe like tempo-effort, comfortably hard) and try to hold it the whole way, maybe pick it up at the end. Worked out fine - my Garmin splits were 8:57, 9:14, 8:40, which were slightly different from the timers at the mile markers (I passed 1 at 9:08, 2 at 18:18, 3 at maybe a couple seconds past 26:00), and I forgot to stop it until well after the finish line but I finished in 27:36.

I also volunteered all morning before the race, which was fun Smile Our club ended up raising $39,500 for the Ronald McDonald House, so it was a pretty successful day!

"Recovery run" in the pool later today - I need to get my legs moving but don't want to actually run on them today!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Jerry - You've come back well from your setback, and I think that says a lot about your approach.  Awesome job.

Kristin - I can't wait to read about your HM.  Take care of yourself this week.  If it makes you feel any better, I've gotten sick before my last two HM's.  I didn't go into either 100% healthy.  Hopefully, it's nothing serious.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

jblack - Thanks!  Daniels program does seem insane at first.  I did a shorter version of it during the winter / spring, and shortened up some of the runs because it was for a HM.  Then, I started this program with a 6 week base building phase getting up to 60+ miles per week.  It really did help.

Lauren - Sounds like a well executed plan, even if it wasn't all that clear in the beginning.  Nice job, and congrats on a solid time.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Bin Running

Morning guys!

Awood, sound like a good pacing plan.

Rest day for me. Woke up in the middle of the night with a burning throat. Feeling body aches. Falling sick again. Maybe I pushed too much in Sunday LR. Cough is back again. Popped a pill. Hope it goes away.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

PADRunner

Morning all. 2 Tempo for me this brisk morning. I had to order shoes also. My current pair would be about 500 miles for my half in December and I didn't want to go in with new shoes. I'll work the new ones in to get a few miles on them.

At 100 mi a month it doesn't take long to go through shows! And they are $$.  I got Wave Rider 15's for $52 on Amazon in and ugly color. Smile $20 less than the others.

hog4life

Awood, I think pacers play an important role for us noobs. I think I will go with the 4:20 group for mine in Dec.

Jerry, I agree with awood, you are coming back nicely.

Kristin, try to relax this week and take care of your body.

Lauren, really nice 5k for you, and WOW at the amount of money raised. That is fantastic!

Bin, sorry your cough is back, hopefully it goes away soon.

Jimmy, nice run yesterday.

Pad, wait till you get to 140-160 range, they get used up even quicker.

I need to get some new shoes too. I'll be looking at the Ravenna's or Nike Structure. I really wonder if I could go to a neutral shoe, I'm thinking about trying some, but might wait till after the Dec full. I run 5 last night and 7 this morning. Now I need to get ready for a dentist appointment, then I'll have to sleep most of the day because I start night shift this week. I have a 15 k on Sat morning.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Bin - You're due for some good luck.  Take care of yourself.

PAD - I'd definitely say that you're due for some new shoes.  Do you rotate your shoes at all?

Mitch - I think it's a good call to wait until after the marathon to look at a neutral shoe.  I really like the Ravenna's (obviously), and we seem to have similar shoe preference.  I'd definitely give them a shot.  This will be pair number 4 for me, and the two pair I'm rotating now still have life in them.  I just don't want to end up being down to one pair come race day, and know that the one pair already has 300 miles on them before I toe the line.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

PADRunner

PAD - I'd definitely say that you're due for some new shoes.  Do you rotate your shoes at all?

Not really, I haven't had the need to till now. I'd just wear the the same pair and replace them when needed. I just didn't want to replace them right before a race this time.

Zelanie

Morning!  Running late so I will keep this short.  6 later.

Awood- Sounds like your head is in the right place with this reality check.

PAD- I've heard that shoes last longer if you're rotating two or more pair, because the midsole gets more time between runs if you don't wear the same shoes back to back.  It's extra money up front to get the second pair, but after that you're still just replacing one at a time as they wear out.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

PAD - Good call.  That's kind of why I went shopping this weekend.  I don't have the Docket Rocket selection of shoes...lol

Zel - Good luck on the 6.

I need to get moving at a break neck speed on work.  It's a late start because I had a guy climbing around my roof this morning, and when you have a dog and someone is running in and out of the gate and the house, you have to be around :-)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost