Beginners and Beyond

Metric Thursday Penguins (Read 11 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Metric System Day!

PADRunner

8.3k this morning with 5x200 & 5x400.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Nice workout, PAD.

I'm headed out to meet some friends for 8k or so. Smile

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey Penguins, I'm in an annoyed mood today.  I forgot my water in the car (don't usually drink water from the fountains here because it tastes funny).  I asked a company to schedule a PM on one of my instruments, and got a brusque email yesterday from a service guy saying he'd be here to do the PM.  Hello, you need to schedule things with me.  My lab does not revolve around you.  And of course he's not here yet.  So between that and the million things I have going on today, I'm feeling   .  Windy and rainy today, so a walk is unlikely.  But no chorus tonight, which is good because I'm still running on empty.  Can't wait for the weekend!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your metric run!!

Brilliant -- have fun with your friendly 8k!!

Where's Scotty been lately?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

After all that fanfare, I didn't run last night.  I did 90 minutes in the pool, and because I didn't think I could handle that much in the pool on a nice day when I was allowed to run, I did an interval workout.  By the time I was done with that, and showered, and back home, the thought of walking to driving anywhere with a good surface just to be able to run did not sound appealing.  Plus I was a little bit nervous that it would hurt.  So, the plan is to run tonight after work.  Sadly, it's a 12 hour day today, so it will still be late and dark.  But I can run!  I hope! Smile

Great workout, PAD!

Have a good group run, Brilliant!

HsM- Hope your day improves!  One day closer to the weekend!

PADRunner

After all that fanfare, I didn't run last night.  I did 90 minutes in the pool, and because I didn't think I could handle that much in the pool on a nice day when I was allowed to run, I did an interval workout.  By the time I was done with that, and showered, and back home, the thought of walking to driving anywhere with a good surface just to be able to run did not sound appealing.  Plus I was a little bit nervous that it would hurt.  So, the plan is to run tonight after work.  Sadly, it's a 12 hour day today, so it will still be late and dark.  But I can run!  I hope! Smile

Great workout, PAD!

Have a good group run, Brilliant!

HsM- Hope your day improves!  One day closer to the weekend!

I was wondering why they said no TM? They are usually cushioned somewhat.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Metric huh?  I'm hopeful that I'll get at least 8km done today but I've been lazy and the pollen is out in full force.  I really feel as though I haven't had my running mojo at all this year post marathon.  Part of that was being sick but I think my mojo should be back by now...

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

I was wondering why they said no TM? They are usually cushioned somewhat.

The doc said they are acually the hardest running surface.

GinnyinPA

Z - part of the problem may be the relentless forward motion, plus the narrow short surface that can affect your gait. Good luck with your run tonight.

PAD - Good work on the intervals this morning.

Brilliant - running with friends is a nice way to ease back into it.

Jill - I hope you get your mojo back.  Do you have any upcoming spring races to inspire you?  I kinda have a Catch 22 situation:  I won't sign up for a race until I'm running normally, but without having any plans, it's hard to push myself enough so that it does get easier. I ask myself, "Why am I doing this?"  I'm missing all the spring races, and when summer comes we'll probably be on the road again, so running will take a back seat to hiking, which will likely kill any hopes of a good fall race.  So I run just for fun and exercise, but it isn't the same as working to prepare for a hard race.

HopesMom - I hope your technician finally arrived and got the job done so you can get on with the rest of your day.

AFM:  rainy here, so I'll probably end up on the TM later.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon.  I have Pilates and 10.

My day has been too busy.  So, a quick hello.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brilliant

Ginny, I feel the exact same way.  I have several races on my "to do list" to sign up for but can't get the motivation to sign up, because my running hasn't been great lately. But my running won't improve unless I sign up, ugh!