Beginners and Beyond

Up and at em' It's thursday penguins! (Read 32 times)

Dad on the run.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

I DID IT!!!! 3.5 miles at 4am Smile ITBS still causing some issues but managed 2 miles before I had to revert to run/walk so its getting better. This is my third 3.5 mile "Ralk" and I've gone from averaging 13m/m to 11m/m.

Wife actually wanted to go for a walk yesterday evening (first time she has felt like it since being pregnant). She even did a little bit of running. We managed a mile before the heat got to her and she started feeling nauseated.

Sister has her volleyball game tonight, hopefully they do a little better than they did last thursday... they need a lot of practice. She play for the Y and to them it's all about "having fun" but to me nothing is more fun than winning Smile

Hope everyone has a great day!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

8:15am and still no post? Where is everyone at? Did the world end and I didn't get the memo?

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Sloooow.

Nice work getting up and running, Jimmy! I really feel for your wife too, the first trimester sucks. It's extra hard when you already have a little one to look after.

From last night- Mitch, I would have to double check my log, but I think I had 7 days off after my last surgery. My goal is to be 10K read (as in, I've had a 6 mile run outdoors) but my surgery. Then I'll cruise with lower mileage weeks till my 10K. As for the NOLA half, I will need to be up to at least 6-7 miles by November, to be able to train well over the "winter". So I'm still hopeful!

I took Monday and Tuesday off, so 3 miles planned for today. I need to figure out an outdoor run this week.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

5 or 6 planned for tonight.  As temps are about to climb again, I just hope they hang low enough today to allow for an outdoor run.  At least I got a couple days on the road this week.

Jimmy - 4am???   Yikes, I'd be mistaken for a zombie at that hour!  Wink

Randy

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

JBJ: my wife calls it "wogging."

Coralie: have a nice 3.

redrum: the temps are going up here as well. The three days of low 90s was nice. Enjoy the miles.

As for me, I have 8 miles @ 8:30 planned for later when DD is swimming.

hi everyone else and have a good day.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  It's a multi-meeting day -- one at 10:00, one at 12:30, and a seminar at 3:30.  My tech is out with a sick kid, so at least I can crank up the tunes between meetings!!  Chorus rehearsal tonight, woo-hoo!!

jblack -- woo-hoo for your REALLY EARLY run!!

Coralie -- hope all goes well with your surgery!!

red -- we're supposed to suddenly drop to the 70's for the weekend, with lows in the 40's.  Can't wait!!

Jack -- have a good 8 later!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Morning, penguins!  Had a good track workout yesterday, but didn't do as many reps as the group since I have my 5K on Sunday.  We did intervals of varying times, and I had a total of 14 minutes at I pace.  But that pace was really tough for me to feel.  I would always start off too fast, but if I tried to slow, would slow too much.  But it's only my second time trying to run at that pace, so I guess I'll get the hang of it.

I said it last night, but the group ended up doing planks last night after the run.  Yikes!  So I did 2 more 30 second planks yesterday.  This morning I just did 1 minute, but I did add a 45 second side plank on each side.

Tonight I am going to go on the group social run.

Jimmy- Glad the IT band is improving and that your DW is starting to feel better.

Coralie- Sounds like you have a solid plan.

redrum- Hope your miles go well later.

Jack- Enjoy the 8!

HsM- Good luck getting through the meetings!  I can relate, my whole week feels like I've just been going from one meeting to another.

Bin Running

Jimmy, congrats on coming back strongly..

Coralie, you are driven and i think you can do the 10K after the surgery.. But remember to listen to your body..

Redrum, good luck with the 5-6 later..

Jack, enjoy the 8 @ 8:30..

Hopesmom, enjoy singing later.

6.5M done.. Was to do 12MLR earlier in the morning but don't feel like it.. 6.5M done in the evening.. Thought I could do maybe a 10M but cough was worse.. ai ya ya..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

Mel, good luck with the 5K on Sunday..

I am trying to aim for 45:00 for my 10K on Sunday.. Will go out at 7:15 and see if my lung/heart holds..

Oh ya.. I am committed to that Dec Marathon now..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Still stuck in court.  12 miles tonight.

There is a picture of me and Jenn in yesterday's thread.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Jimmy, good job on the miles, I hope your ITBS gets better.

Coralie, good luck with the 3, hope you get to do the half. Do they have a 10k option?

Red, hope you get the miles in before it gets too hot. We are supposed to drop to 50's for Saturday morning.

Jack, enjoy the run!

Hope, yay for loud tunes.

Zel, I will try some repeats tonight before the NOBO class. If my schedule ever will allow me, I'd like to sign up for a speed class sponsored through our LRS. They mention tempo and repeats, which I know how to do, but I'm sure I could learn something from the experts.

Bin, Marathon Man!

I will try for a tempo run before NOBO class tonight.

Dad on the run.

Hog - I think I am getting it under control. I stretch / roll daily and Friday is leg day so I make sure I do leg extension, leg curls, squats, kickbacks, hip abductors, hip adductors, and one other that I can't think of the name for, its basically a reverse kickback, and I do walking lunges with weights. I'm hoping to build some pylo boxes soon and will start doing that several days a week. Weak hips be damned!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice run/walk this morning!  Got up at 4:45 a.m., went down to the YMCA and did a run/walk through Brackenridge Park.  71 degrees, a humidity of only about 53%, and a dew point below 65, sweeet!  Ended up with about 3.3 miles.  I even sprinted a little.  As I got back to the far side of the parking lot of the Y, I saw a lady heading to the front door and decided to see if I could get to the building before her, and went into what counts as a 'finishing kick' for me, lol.  Most certainly WAY OFF  of a  "kick" that speedy folks like Dave and Bin and Mitch have, but I managed to get the job done, and passed her by - she was on the sidewalk and I was on the pavement, so I did not bowl her over or anything like that, lol - and got to the door before her by a few seconds.  Of course, being a gentleman, I then did wait and hold the door open for her. Big grin  Very nice outing this morning.  Glad I went ahead and got up because this afternoon we are supposed to have off-and-on thunderstorms throughout the day.

Congrats on your RALK, Jimmy, and getting up so early!  Funny you call it that.  I have  a friend who calls his run/walk "RUNK", lol.  Another friend just goes "Elmer Fudd' on me and calls his run/walk "Wunning".    Best wishes to both your wife and your sister.

Good luck with the 3 miles, Coralie.

What, redrum, you mean when temps climb, we're not supposed to run outside?  Good heavens, we Texas runners have been doing it all wrong then! Joking   Good luck with your miles tonite!

Good luck with your 8 miles, Jack.  Will it be in the low 90s for you?

Oh yay, meetings all day, HsM, doncha just love it?  Well, we have a sort of meeting today, it's a farewell function for one of our VPs who is moving on to another job out-of-state.  So at least we get to leave work early to attend that.  And after all the 'speechifying", there will be food and drink, so that's nice.

Track work AND planks, Zelanie, you are hardcore!

Sorry the cough is still bothering you, Bin, this is becoming chronic!  Did you ever check into the possibility it's EIA? (Exercise Induced Asthma).  Glad you were still able to get some miles in.

Good luck with the 12, Damaris!  Nice you got to see Jenn.  Photo is kinda dark, but still nice, what I can see in it...you both have beautiful hands..and smiles. Big grin

Have fun with the tempo run, Mitch, and the NOBO class.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Bin Running

Scotty, I think it's not EIA as I can still run my intervals and tempo.. It's seem to be settling down a few days ago.. today it's worse.. Hmm..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar