Beginners and Beyond

San Antonio Road Runners Cobweb Chaser 5K (Read 6 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO 

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos onlyhttp://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%201%20Cobweb%20Chaser%205K

A couple of the photos came out a bit blurry, sorry about that, I am definitely no professional photographer, lol, but at least the photos are free.

BEFORE THE START

After finishing 2016 with 75 races on Dec 31, 2016, I started 2017 with my first race of the year – and my second of the weekend - with the San Antonio Roadrunners Cobweb Chaser 5K.  Held in Helotes Texas on New Year’s Day at Soler Sports, with a start time of 10 a.m.  This is quite a popular local annual event for runners to start the new year and always gets a nice turn-out. Weather was great, sunny, blue skies, about 63 degrees, low humidity and dew-point.  I arrived onsite with about 45 minutes to go to start time and got some pre-start photos.

Welcome to the San Antonio Road Runners (SARR) race

photo 002_zpsvvfasjpn.jpg

Me with friend Karen

photo 005_zpszfdyfuqj.jpg

photo 006_zpsqwkrvj3p.jpg

SARR official photographer Tom with friend

photo 003_zpsysbntrub.jpg

MC Bob, doing his usual great job

photo 009_zpsrtx7hhj2.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, family members, sponsors, supporters, etc.

photo 001 2_zpsjbnr956j.jpg

photo 004_zpsh9ojkqll.jpg

The lady on the left is wearing the tech-tee race shirt that participants and volunteers got.

photo 007_zpsfluvfmf4.jpg

photo 008_zpsnolnhir3.jpg

photo 010_zpsxbwbfbr1.jpg

photo 011_zpslfcoqu9f.jpg

photo 012_zpsql7i5wh7.jpg

photo 013_zpsa9vu3pfu.jpg

photo 014_zpshbocdkpv.jpg

photo 015_zpsnjjguaof.jpg

photo 016_zps5yakq6rw.jpg

photo 018_zpsgfz41q2k.jpg

photo 019_zpsogmjfhpm.jpg

photo 020_zpsialbenkr.jpg

photo 021_zps30bbvydx.jpg

photo 022_zpsx1mrhsxe.jpg

photo 023_zpse2oepd2d.jpg

Cooking them sausages up for after the finish

photo 024_zpsm9v8lgof.jpg

photo 025_zpsues5nmrz.jpg

photo 027_zpstkzsv33i.jpg

photo 028_zpskwa1wqbw.jpg

Getting ready to start

photo 026_zps5sp1yecb.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Started beside Soler Sports and then did an out-and-back down one of the main streets in Helotes, came back past the start/finish area, and then did an out-and-back in “Old Town” Helotes. This portion of the race had some hills; nothing really huge, but still enough to be a bit of a challenge, especially as they were at the back half of the race.  Having done a somewhat hilly race the day before this one, my legs did feel these short hills a bit.  At one point, about right after the race started, I stopped to take my energy gel – which I’d forgotten to do before the race started – and spilled some on my running glove…so I just licked it off, lol.  As I was doing that, one of my friends came running by and saw this and said “Dang, Scotty, you really are a dog!”  lol.  I ended up with a chip time of 33:03, ending up 6th in my age group, if I remember correctly. No placing as this is a popular event and there are some really speedy old farts in my 60-64 age group, lol.

photo 029_zpsc176zqmy.jpg

photo 030_zpsvjh53svn.jpg

photo 031_zpsnpene2fk.jpg

photo 033_zpskzjyc3ch.jpg

I now just starting out on the back half of the course, and some people were already heading to the finish.

photo 035_zpsimsoeqgd.jpg

photo 036_zpszdgk5z1d.jpg

photo 037_zpsg6fhu4ne.jpg

photo 040_zpsyl90jzjp.jpg

photo 041_zpsmo1pu2qg.jpg

People on the left, like me, were heading to the 2-mile point and then the turn-around point after that before coming back to the finish.   People coming toward me were almost finished.

photo 038_zps7375ujk0.jpg

photo 043_zpsugodbyww.jpg

photo 045_zpswf7txyuj.jpg

Looking back behind me

photo 039_zpsbv3lzgua.jpg

photo 044_zpsd1kh6auj.jpg

I am now on the right side of the road, heading to the finish.  We had to climb this small hill on the way to the finish.  People on the left are heading to the 2-mile mark and the turn-around point a bit beyond that, including my friend Karen, who walked the whole course.

photo 046_zpss4inpitw.jpg

photo 047_zps0bbysus0.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Went back on the course and took a few photos of some others finishing

The hill we went up on the way to the turn-around point, then down on the way to the finish, and the incline we went up on the way to the finish

photo 048_zpsvvbpokxs.jpg

photo 051_zpsulxqdijk.jpg

photo 049_zpsllaff6b5.jpg

photo 050_zpsovdsxz4g.jpg

photo 056_zps7b3wbzpj.jpg

With my friend Bernadette near the finish line area, and two of her friends

photo 053_zpsrwa9hzbb.jpg

photo 055_zpsj9fxeait.jpg

Finish line volunteers

photo 057_zpsjkjqzl40.jpg

photo 058_zpspenz9o93.jpg

Nice post-race party at the Cobweb.  Alamo Beer and there was also wine for those who did not want beer, plenty of water, Kiolbassa – my favorite sausage – ‘Sausage on a Stick’ and energy bars, various other snacks, and so forth. I wandered around with my Alamo Beer and sausage, munching and drinking and taking random photos of the ‘happy finishers’ and their supporters and family members, the volunteers, and so forth.

Race Director Tony, with course bike pacer George

photo 061_zpsz0rkn8ym.jpg

photo 059_zpszpjfws5k.jpg

photo 060_zpse9xhfowv.jpg

photo 062_zpsvtozkvcg.jpg

Thanks for the beer, guys!

photo 063_zpsid95coc2.jpg

photo 064_zpsvhkxd9nv.jpg

...and sausages...

photo 068_zpsiv0xvbh4.jpg

photo 069_zpsxhyrbikr.jpg

photo 067_zps5kf0jsio.jpg

photo 065_zpsjsbbxasd.jpg

photo 070_zpsobhreuua.jpg

photo 071_zpsezoz6cco.jpg

photo 072_zpsculdlpee.jpg

photo 073_zpsvyb6llwn.jpg

photo 074_zpspgjzhzvw.jpg

photo 075_zpsy6x550qf.jpg

photo 076_zps24qjowdv.jpg

photo 077_zpsev2qk5yy.jpg

photo 078_zps00xnytoj.jpg

photo 079_zpsfjgpjqau.jpg

photo 081_zps1sxb9rnp.jpg

photo 082_zpsxkyyv2xi.jpg

photo 083_zpshfyubemi.jpg

Goofin' with my friend, Karen...she had a loss yesterday (football loss  ), so trying to make her laugh...

photo 084_zps1bvlh210.jpg

photo 085_zpslbxitdol.jpg

photo 086_zpslfswtbno.jpg

photo 088_zpsv0klz2qp.jpg

photo 089_zps0orms5it.jpg

photo 090_zpsjpefkjf7.jpg

photo 092_zpsjbkrzmm9.jpg

What? I'm a Redskins fan...now Dallas Cowboys hats allowed in the photo! 

photo 093_zpss5vlrlfo.jpg

OK, I'll behave...just for my friend Priscilla, who is pointing...

photo 094_zpsboi3ie3r.jpg

photo 095_zpsxlzoif09.jpg

photo 096_zpsl3fmjfsy.jpg

photo 097_zpsd4awxymt.jpg

Put ladies around me...dang, I look good! 

photo 098_zpsmaayi0yi.jpg

photo 099_zpsjfvyrxe0.jpg

photo 100_zpshlqnxfeg.jpg

EPILOGUE

Love this race. Don’t know how many times I’ve done it, but pretty much every New Year’s Day for several years.  Race Director Tony Garcia put on a good show for this year’s event and Helotes was a nice location to have it. Nice tech-tee race shirt and the goodie bag included a really nice San Antonio Roadrunner 2017 calendar; nice age-group medals, great post-race goodies – hey, you can’t go wrong with beer and wine and sausages for we Texans, lol – and just lots of fun and runner camaraderie at this event.

MUCHO thanks to all the volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement, Soler Sports for the use of the building and area, Helotes Chamber, and the Helotes residents for letting us invade their space for a while – all the people who made this one happen for we participants.  Definitely a keeper on the race calendar.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

Looking good Scotty!

I'll be down your way next weekend in Bandera.