Beginners and Beyond

Reston 10 Miler (with pictures) (Read 74 times)

Short Version

Time: 1:33:18 (10.11 miles)

521/1115 OA

229/684 Female

38/98 AG

Long Version

This Sunday I ran the Reston 10 Miler. My plan was to run it comfortably and figure out a goal pace for my half at the end of the month. I figured a 9:30-10:00 pace was reasonable, especially considering this is a “hilly” course.

I arrived about 45 minutes early, got one of the last good parking spots, and made a beeline for the indoor restrooms. The line was only about 5 minutes long for me, but quickly grew to at least a 20 minute wait. About 10 minutes before the race, everyone started meandering over to the start line. I chatted a bit with a man next to me who asked about my race pace, race plans, and so on. He was very nice, but it reminded me of the Google translate for runners. I could tell he was looking for someone to run with and that I didn’t make the cut. Oh well.  I took note of his name and bib and he finished about a minute ahead of me.

Miles 1-4: 9:45, 9:25, 9:27, 9:30

I wanted to start very conservatively. I would find a person who seemed to be going to same pace as me and then stick with them until I felt ready to pick it up. I noticed that the first mile marker was about a tenth of a mile too long, but the rest seemed to be appropriately spaced. Mile 4 was all uphill, but I didn’t really notice since I was taking it easy.

Miles 5-6: 9:07, 9:04

These were two glorious downhill miles. I just let gravity do the work and passed quite a few people. I started to finally feel warmed up and didn’t bother holding back anymore. I still took it pretty easy, though. If I ever felt like my breathing was getting a bit heavy, then I would slow down a bit. I desperately didn't want to crash and burn.

Miles 7-8: 9:25, 9:19

And then we went back uphill. It really wasn’t that bad, but I can see why people consider this a hilly course since there were quite a few sections of 4%+ grade here and throughout the race. I knew there wasn’t much left in the race at this point, but I was hesitant to pick up the pace yet.

Miles 9-10.11: 9:01, 8:42, 0:38 (0.11)

Mile 9 started downhill and I let my momentum carry me over the last hill of the race. The last mile was all downhill until we got back to the high school. We then had to weave around the lot to make our way to the track. Once I saw the gates to the track and heard “only 100 meters left,” I started to push. I passed everyone between me and the gate and just took off as soon as my feet hit the track. The final sprint is my favorite part. There were maybe two or three people between me and the finish line and I blew by them. I realize that I would have probably had a faster time if I hadn’t left so much in the tank at the end, but it’s just too much fun. Big grin

Overall, I really enjoyed this race. I heard some people complain that it was a bit crowded, but I liked being surrounded by the other runners and I never felt like my pace suffered. Based on how I felt at the end of the race, I think 2ish hours is a pretty reasonable goal for my half at the end of the month.

Thanks for reading and please enjoy my terrible race photos. 

This is me (#928) just strutting through the race.

This was taken at the start right after I (blue/white jacket, pink shoes) yawned. It cracks me up every time I look at it.

I almost forgot  - my finisher's medal. Big grin

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

SheCan

This sounds like such a fun, relaxing race for you.  You do well even without trying (lucky me for having you on our HF team!)  Congratulations on such a good time and I know you'll totally rock your Half.  BTW, those are awesome pictures.  I doubt you could take a terrible picture even if you tried.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

Nice job!  How did you like racingg a 10 miler?  I have my first in a few months.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

She Can - Thanks! It was a lot of fun. I was really hoping the photographer would have snapped a picture or two of my finish, but, alas, no. Tongue

Docket - Thanks! This was my second 10 miler. I really didn't like the first one since it was an out-and-back with no crowd support. This one was awesome though. It wound around the neighborhoods and there were people cheering most of the way. I think I might actually like this distance better than the half. It's long enough that I can take my time getting up to speed, but not so long that I need to conserve energy for the end. Good luck with your 10 miler. Smile

Upcoming Races:

hog4life

Congrats! Considering the hilly course, I think your splits look very good.

Pinktastic

Congrats, Nova!  You did really well!  Love that you blew past everyone at the end!  Way to finish strong!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

LRB

Your training cycle has been impeccable!  There is no reason to doubt your ability to hold a sub-9:10 pace for 13.1 miles.  In fact, if you pace it properly you may do even better than that.

It takes quite a bit of discipline to be able to reign in your pace like that, nice work.  I am curious to what your warmup was (if any) and if you plan to do the same for your goal half?

Love the Half

If you're running that easily for a 10 mile race, you should set yourself a goal a bit more challenging than just sub 2 in the HM.  Depends on how deep you want to go inside the pain cave.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

workinprogress11

Congratulations on the race!  I've always wanted to race a 10 miler, but haven't been able to find any in my area.  I agree with those suggesting you be a bit more aggressive with your HM goal.  Way to go!

LRB

I've always wanted to race a 10 miler, but haven't been able to find any in my area. 

The Crim 10 miler is one of the only ones I can think of around these parts.  Back in its day, it attracted elite level talent the world over.  It is still a very popular race in Michigan though as they kick down a nice piece of change in prize money.

I am often asked when I am going to do it and my answer is the same each time; when hell freezes over.  As there is no way I am racing 10 miles in the oppressive heat and humidity of August.  None.  Not even for 10 Scooby snacks!

Love the Half

There's the Army 10 Miler which, ironically, I never ran while in the Army.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Will run for scenery.

Hey Nova,

When I was 10 (early '70s) an uncle of mine from the DC area died.  He used to do "running marathons" and things like that.  Somehow or another, I inherited all of his old cotton race shirts.  One of them was for the Reston 10 mile run (or some run in Reston).  When I started running in HS I wore that shirt until it fell apart.  It literally started to vanish - the sleeve and neck holes were way, way out-classed by holes in the belly, shoulder, and back.

Anyway, fast forward to last summer and my 10 mile time is spot-on with yours.  So if I weren't so crippled this year (PF, AT, laziness, yada yada) I'd be right there with you, no Google translate needed.  But you sound like you had plenty left in the tank, so you should do fine in your HM.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Zelanie

Congratulations on a very strong race!  What a great confidence boost going in to your half!

I ran a 10 miler last year, and it is still the best race I've run so far.  It's like a HM without that pesky 5K at the end of it. Smile  And I agree that it's nice to have people around.  When you're moving at about the same speed as those around you, it seems much easier, I think.

happylily

Congratulations! You did that like an old pro!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

hog4life - Thanks! I was (happily) surprised that my splits were as consistent as they were.

Pinktastic - Thanks! My end-of-the-race mantra is something along the lines of, "This needs to be over now!"

LRB - Thanks! I didn't warm up before the race and just used the first few miles to loosen up instead. Once my endurance improves (this was my longest run since my half last year), I will start warming up before these longer races and, hopefully, reach my target pace faster. I probably won't warm up for my half at the end of the month, but I have more planned for the rest of the year.

LTH - Thanks! I know I have the potential to be much faster, but I really need to work on my stamina. I've been trying to incorporate some harder effort runs into my routine, but the snow just won't stay away. My goal race for the spring is May 4th. I'm hoping that in the next two months I can really focus on maintaining a more intense effort level. The race also has pace groups, which should help me stay mentally focused.

workinprogress11 - Thanks! There are a surprising number of 10 milers in my area. I plan on doing a lot more in the future.

jjs22 - Thanks! Sorry about your uncle, but that's neat about the Reston t-shirt. There do seem to be a lot of races in this area.

Zelanie - Thanks! That's exactly how I feel about 10 milers versus HMs. At mile 7 I thought to myself, "Only 3 miles left. If this were a half, then I couldn't be thinking this!"

happylily - Thanks! Smile

Upcoming Races: