Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins Know That Doing What's Right Is It's Own Reward! (Read 177 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Went Christmas shopping yesterday and was done and back home in 20 minutes!  Also, did a 90 minute bike ride in 37 degree weather. The wind died down a little but it was still out there. I was dressed right for it.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Off to run (finally).  I cannot wait.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Gustav, thanks for starting and awesome job on the bike.

damaris, enjoy the run!

Was supposed to do 7M w/  7x100 but can't seem to find the energy to wake up early to do them. Meeting some friends for dinner later. Seem like this run will have to be tmr.

Merry Christmas to all fellow penguins.  May the speed be with y'all.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning !!!!  Happy Christmas Eve...

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm going to do some more prep for tomorrow's Christmas party, and then I'm going to go out and run in my new Saucony's.  Right now I've got A Christmas Story on the TV, and I'm going to make a pumpkin pie.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

mmm.....pie.

Morning, all!! Merry Xmas Eve!  My alarm went off at 4:45 today so I could get a run in prior to being on call the next two days and I said a polite, "No thank you" to it and stayed in bed until 5:30.   Since it's a holiday I'm hoping that it will be relatively quiet and I will be able to get a run in tonight.  Had a nice 4 miles yesterday.  I'm queen of the low mileage runs these days but it's fine!    Hunkering down for winter...

Have a great day, everybody!

Liz

Good morning friends

I did 2.5 recovery miles after my 17.4 yesterday.

Make today great.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

RAIN!!! It might let up so I hope to get a run in later. House cleaning today and generally doing nothing until tonight.

Happy Christmas and Festivus.

hog4life

Looking to get 8 x 800's later. It's raining at the moment, and we have to run to town to pick up the food trays we ordered, hopefully it quit raining by the time we get back.

Liz, there's nothing wrong with shorter runs. You have a crazy busy schedule, so get what you can.

Awood, let me know how the Saucony's do.

Docket_Rocket

20 miles done on that knee you saw in the pics.  No peep from it, so I continued on and finished.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Merry Christmas Eve to those who celebrate!!

Gustav- glad you had a nice wintery bike ride!

Damaris- Enjoy your run. How's that knee?

Bin- Enjoy your day off running.

Jerry- And a happy Christmas Eve to you too!

awood- I want some of that pumpkin pie! Enjoy the new shoes!

Doc- Enjoy your run tonight

T-Rod- 17.4 wow! Missed that in yesterdays

Jack- House cleaning NO FUN. Hope you get your run in

Hog- Enjoy your 8x800... I must admit I have no idea what that means lol

I have a confession to make.....I never did my run yesterday. Turns out having too much eggnog does a number on me....mixing cream and booze was not good for my stomach ugh. I wasn't even a functional person until after 12:00, and then I realized I had less than 3 hours before I needed to head to my parents' house and had a bunch to do before then. Alas, no run Sad But this morning I "made up for it." Just got back from a lovely run. 25 degrees and "felt like 21" but I dressed just right and didn't feel cold. It was an "open ended" run, I set out for 3 and figured if I felt good I would keep going. I was so "in the zone" and enjoying myself I forgot to check in on my Nike+ from about a mile and a half on, and I realized I had probably already run more than 3...and so I checked and found out I had run over 4 miles. Ended up with just under 5. Now, what I want to know is WHEN DID FIVE FREAKING MILES BECOME SO EASY that I have now gone nearly 5 miles when I only set out for 3 TWICE in one week. I remember thinking I would never be able to run 5 miles without a walk break. My first 5 mile run was on 11/25. And here I am on 12/24 banging out 5 like it's nothing. Just taking a moment to bask in my own awesomeness. Haha ok basking is done.

Ok off to bake a ton of Christmas cookies.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

20 miles done on that knee you saw in the pics.  No peep from it, so I continued on and finished.

20 miles?! On that knee?! THERE'S the rock star bad ass Damaris we know and love!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kitteh

Gustav--you got in and out in 20 minutes on Christmas eve-eve? Now THAT is a Christmas Miracle! Also, WTG on the bike ride!

Damaris--20 miles on that knee? You're a rockstar.

Bin--enjoy your dinner with friends!

Jerry--Merry X-Mas eve to you too!

Awood--hope the run is a good one. I'm a little jealous of your new shoes. I just moved into Brooks, but before that I was a Saucony girl all the way and I still have a soft spot for them. They're just so pretty!

Doc--Good Luck on getting your run in!

T-Rod--17.4 miles! That is impressive. Hope the recovery 2.5 helps ease any DOMS

Jack--RAIN!! Where in CA are you? It was raining here too, but recently stopped. So get out there and RUN!

Hog--Hope the rain lets up for you too!

Kristin--Another Christmas Miracle! lol. But really, don't you just love when you see dramatic tangible improvements in your fitness? Covering nearly 5 miles when you set out to do 3, and feeling good the whole way, is an awesome achievement! And you've done it twice recently! I think you're entitled to some basking.

AFM--I'm feeling some slight soreness after yesterday's 10.25 but nothing major. I was going to make today a rest day, but since the rain stopped and baby is still sleeping, I'm contemplating getting out there for a slow 2 miles at recovery pace. It's supposed to rain Wednesday and/or Thursday, and I'm a wimp when it comes to cold(ish) temps and rain, so it might be a good idea to get some unplanned miles in now just in case I have to miss some later this week. But if I sit and contemplate too long the baby's going to wake up, so I'd better make a decision soon.

Running for two!

Pre-Preggo PRs--5k 23:00, 10k 49:07, HM 1:57:40

Post-Preggo PRs--5k TBD, 10k 54:45, HM 2:28:05

hog4life

Kristin, you could send some cookies to Alabama if you have extra, lol. The 8 x 800(called repeat intervals) means that I will run for 800 meters at a faster pace, usually 5k/10k pace, then take a 1/4 mile recovery, then repeat. So the workout will look like this; 1 mile WU, 800 at 5k, 400 recovery, 800, 400, etc , then a mile cool down.