Beginners and Beyond

Am I the only one awake in this place, WEDNESDAY Penguins? (Read 26 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Last night I didn't get to the JCC in enough time to swim AND run (closes at 10:00pm, by the time I got there and got changed it was 9:00) so I just ran. 1.25 miles on the elliptical and 2.25 miles of run/walk intervals. Just got back from 6:00am spin class. Only 15 miles today because we did a lot of hills. Have a great Wednesday!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Hip Redux

Maybe you should go back to bed for more sleep.  It's Wednesday.  :P

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

BAHAHA lol idk why I did that....I called the Wednesdailies thread by the right name..... let me fix it.....

probably cuz I went into the Tuesday thread to copy the intro and had "tuesday" in my head. FAIL.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

You must be still preoccupied with the Gel Kayanos, Kristin.

Short outside run for us (weather permitting).

Docket_Rocket

LOL.  Morning!

6 miles or SRD, depending on time.  Getting my allergy shot after a month of none due to illness and stuff.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

It is 27 damn degrees in San Antonio right now....BRRRRRR!  I'm wearing my long underwear this morning, lol.   Luckily, no freezing rain and no wind, so that's a blessing.  Our high today will be only 50 degrees, but it will be VERY sunny, so makes for a nice running day.  I plan to do my GIANT HILLS workout at Fort Sam Houston after work today, which equates to about 4 miles of all hills.   Crazy weather.   Tomorrow it will be 65 degrees here and on Friday, we are going to hit 70 degrees, go figure.

Congrats on getting the spin class done this morning, Kristin.  Tough workout!  You are preoccupied with Gel Kayanos?  I have a pair you can have...if you wear size 9.5. 

Good luck, Jerry, with that 'weather permitting' in Chicago!

Are you feeling back to normal now, Damaris?

All you folks in Atlanta area, Georgia, SC, etc....stay safe!  Was watching Weather Channel last night...snow, abandoned cars, major traffic jams.....y'all be careful out there!  Thinking good thoughts for the safety of you and your loved ones!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Bin Running

Morning guys.

12M done in the morning. Staying over at in-law today. And celebration started tmr. Let's see how I can slot in the miles.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Scotty mine are actually 9.5....women's though. I still worry they're too big and I'm going to the store saturday to try a 9 and see if it fits better. You wear Kayanos?

Ran 1 mile this morning, in 10:23.  It was -5F and I was covered up pretty good and warm, but my tongue hurt from the cold.  Not a lot, but it did encourage me to pick up the pace and just run 1 instead of 3.  Little bit of snow/ice underfoot but not too bad.  Normal pace on this footing is about 12:20.

Here's hoping this is the last below 0 morning Smile

SheCan

kristin, good job getting up and getting your spin class in.

Hi Jerry and Docket!  :-)

Scotty-- don't walk today.  Tell them, you're saving yourself for the giant hills tonight.

Bin-- excellent job on the 12 mile run!  Enjoy the celebrations.

Jimmy-- you're probably sleeping in today, but OMGosh on your trip home.  Glad you finally made it.  That sounded quite Gawd-awful.  Were there a lot of people leaving their cars like that?

Well, I took a muscle relaxant last night, and it helped me sleep, but man, it made me groggy when I tired to get up this morning.  Oh well, I'm enjoying my coffee right now anyway.  Will try to do 6 soon.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

GinnyinPA

Kristin - good job on the run and the spinning.  How is the foot feeling?

Scotty - our high is supposed to be 17, which is warmer than yesterday, but still too cold for me.

Jerry - I don't know how you run outside in your temps.  Have a good one.

Damaris - I hope you have time to run.  Glad you're feeling better.

Bin - good job on the 12 - indoors our outside?  Have a good New Year celebration.  Don't eat too much, it'll slow you down.

OFS - good job on the mile in that frigid cold.  I've never had my tongue hurt, but I find my eyeballs hurt when it gets below 20.  Glasses don't seem to help any and I don't have goggles.

AFM:  Currently it's 9, feels like -1.  I'll probably do 4-6 on the TM this afternoon.  The warmup is coming, and I can't wait -- though since we're supposed to get rain with the warmup it won't be much of an improvement.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

kristin: nice work at the gym. I need to try one of those elliptical thingies...

Jerry: Stay warm out there.

D: Enjoy the 6 (I doubt you will take an SRD).

Scotty: I know what you mean about crazy weather; yesterday was 79 today it will be 81!

Bin: Did you enjoy your carb intake after your run? Smile

OFS: Hats off to you for even getting out there for one mile. When I ran in 33 degrees my eyes and lungs felt cold. I cannot imagine -5!!

She Can: Muscle relaxer? Did I miss something? I hope you are OK.

Ginny: Good call on the TM. Hey, guess where DW and I are going in three weeks? My favorite place, Zion!  Smile

As for me, I did five miles yesterday. That PF is a weird thing. Sunday was bad and yesterday not a peep from it. I am still going to take it easy and stay away from the Pritz plan for the May marathon. I will try to get out there tonight for four or five more and rest tomorrow. It will take some discipline on my part to limit my running to four days a week.

On a brighter note, DD2, the swimmer, is being promoted and she will soon be training with the high school group. Not bad for a soon to be 13 year old. DW and I are proud.

Have a nice Wednesday.

Dad on the run.

She Can - You would be amazed how many abandoned cars that are out there, its insane! People just got tired of waiting because the interstate was deadlocked from jackknifed 18 wheelers. I still doubt I will get my car today, will probably be tomorrow afternoon before I can finally get to it. The roads are just pure ice.

The interstates looked like this

I was not in the empty side...

I'm glad I'm home and hope my cars are ok, but the most important thing is we are all safe and I managed to get my daughter from my mom's so we even got to get up and play this morning! Smile

On a side note, my wife said I'm ridiculous but since I had to cover 7 miles on foot lastnight I kept my running watch turned on and ran / walked the whole 6.62 miles and logged in for the mileage game? Should I be ashamed?

Also plan on getting out tonight for an easy 3, the sidewalks are at least just snow and not ice, unless it melts some today when the sun comes out and refreezes, at which point I will just stay in. I'm not that bad ass.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

on my way to badass

Good Morning Penguins!

Kristin- Congrats on the early spin class!  Way to feel productive.

Jerry-  please define "weather permitting"

DR- hope the allergy shot helps.

Scotty- I'd kill for 27F right now.

Bin- Congrats on the 12M

Cherie- a run should help shake off the groggies.

Ginny- I can't wait for the warm-up either!

Jack- Congrats to your DD!

jblack- Everyone tells me that housework counts as x-training, so a run home like that is nothing to be ashamed of.

AFM- I had a RD yesterday and will try to get some mileage in after work.  It was -5F this morning.  This Polar Vortex thing is taking its toll on me and its all mental.  If Mordor was a really cold place I would say I left my mojo on the fields of it, but I think its really a hot place(thanks for this Damaris).  The last week has been tough, with no discernible improvement and I'm finding I've been getting tired.  Also, I'm not getting the lift I usually get from completing a workout.  My mileage is suffering.  Spring can't come soon enough.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28