Beginners and Beyond

The Penguin's MonDAILY (Read 23 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Gym for me and short run this afternoon.

Have a great week !!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 5 recovery miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Morning!  I have 5 recovery miles tonight.

Hope Hubby and Dad are okay, D.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Busy weekend for running.  Friday night volunteered at an all-women's  night-time 5K (put a report and some photos on the front page),  got home around midnite.  Up Saturday at 7 a.m., went to the Riverwalk for an easy 3 miles, encountered some friends and ended up doing nearly 5 miles.  Sunday off to Lackland Air Force Base for a nice easy run, ended up doing hills.  Both Saturday and Sunday's outings were very good too, felt really strong and ran well during my running segments.

Today is an rest day from running.  This will also be a short work week for me.  I have a half-day off Thursday, then am off Friday and Monday, making for a nice long holiday weekend. Yay!

Give some good thoughts to my wife's family in Wenatchee, Washington.  There are ongoing fires there and they are quite near where her family members live.  Gail and her brother and one sister are the only ones who got out of town after they grew up.  Her parents and the families of both two of her sisters all still live in Wenatchee. They are all really getting 'smoked' while these fires are ongoing.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Good morning, Penguins all!!  I had a lovely weekend hanging out with DH, cooking yummy things like grilled chicken and peach pancakes (not eaten together!), and generally chillin' from the week.  Saturday was all drizzly and rainy, but the cats insisted on going outside, so one of us pretty much always had a wet cat on the lap.  Got my PT done this morning, woo-hoo!!

Jerryb -- have a good time with the gym and short run!!

Docket -- Hope your 5 recovery are good!!  Keep us posted on your fam, ok?

Scotty -- Hmm, I have some friends who run a campground in Peshastin, which is in the same area.  Sending good vibes!  And woo-hoo for your strong running!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Will do, thanks!  Sounds like an awesome weekend.

Scotty, enjoy the rest.

Jerry, thanks!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Hey Pens!  Today I printed out my marathon training plan... now I just need to follow it ;-)  Today is cross training and core work.  I'll do 30 minutes on the stationary bike or elliptical and some form of core work.  I figure it doesn't really matter what I do exactly as long as I devote at least 10 minutes to it.

D - good luck to your DH and father

Jerry - what is your gym routine like?

Scotty - enjoy your rest day and short week.  I have no work until September - so I should find something important to do.

HsM - mmmm... peaches =D

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Hi Pens.  Hopefully get some miles in later on.  This is my first real Monday off since summer started since we were out of town last week.  This weekend, it just felt like a regular work weekend since we were running around catching up on stuff.  So, we'll see how I adjust this week.

Jerry- Morning!

D- Have a good run later.

Scotty- Sounds like a nice weekend!  Hope they get those fires contained soon.

HsM- Sounds like a good weekend!  Did you save me a pancake?  Also, good job on the PT!

sapf- Day 1, yay! Smile

From the Internet.

Hope Hubby and Dad are okay, D.

+1

URD number 2 of ??, I can walk but toe is definitely still not normal. Orthopedic office said "go through ER or urgent care", thanks guys. Podiatrist (who is also a runner and who I'd prefer to see given that I'm supposed to start marathon training next Monday) is booked until next Wednesday.

I guess my plan is to go to urgent care after work just to get an X-ray and see if it's definitely broken - if it's broken I'm SOL anyway, will just limit daily activity and switch to pool running for the next several weeks, if it's not broken I'll probably call the podiatrist for that appointment next week just to make sure I'm healed and cleared for marathon training.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Lauren - I hope it isn't broken =(  You can also try zocdoc.com to find a doctor with availability who accepts your insurance.  I used that to book an appointment with an orthopedist about 2 hours after my severe ankle sprain last spring.  I didn't want to go to an ER and wait around for hours - because to them possibly broken bones are pretty unimportant.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

Jerry - I hope your short run went well.

D - I hope DH and your father get better news this week.  Good luck with the TM run this evening.

Scotty - a friend who lives in that part of Washington sent photos of the fires.  They look worse than the ones last year and those were bad.

HM - I've never had peach pancakes.  They sound good though.  My husband makes good pancakes too, but they're usually blueberry, banana and applesauce.

sapf - any cross training is good, as long as it doesn't overly stress your body.  Day one is always exciting, starting a new plan.

Z - I hope it cools off in your part of the world soon so you can enjoy your runs.

Lauren - I hope you get good news with the xray.  Urgent care centers are usually pretty quick in and out.  At least the ones I've used in the past.

AFM:  Today was supposed to be a RD, so we mowed the jungle out back and I picked the mushrooms so the dog doesn't eat them.  (It has been wet lately.)  Then DH suggested we go camping for a couple of days, before the July 4th hordes hit the woods.  As soon as he finishes his shower, away we go!

Singer who runs a smidge

Enjoy the camping, Ginny, sounds like fun!

I've lately been hooked on a bear cam in Alaska.  Not a lot of population yet, but they wander through now and then.  It's fun to watch while I'm transferring multiple GB of data.

Linky

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Cool!  There's a bear there right now!

Have fun camping, Ginny!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Watch out for the bear, Ginny.  I just use 5 or 6 of the weight machines, Ginny.  Mostly for my skinny arms.  I don't kill myself with a lot of weights and I don't like to use the leg machines before I run.

Hope your foor isn't broken, Lauren.  How was the concert?

3.5 sub 10:00 miles for us.  DP was pretty high today and we are soaked, but forgot to turn on the a/c before we left.  Seem to be running faster with the new tomtom.