Beginners and Beyond

2012 Year in Review (Read 543 times)

Buelligan

My only goal was to make it to 2013.

Only another 11 days to find out if I made it.

xor

In April, I ran 50 miles in 7:55 (my official finish time of this 50-mile race is 8:04 because it was 51 miles long. Gotta love the ultrarunning approach to measurement and race names).  That was a PR of about 80 minutes and I came in 4th.

In July, I DNFed a 50 miler at mile 14.

YEEP!

rainmakerrc

Nice running, everyone!

2012 has been a banner year for me!  Having started with the C25K program in Spring 2011, 2012 was my first full year of running.  A few highlights have been:

• Ran my first marathon in November;
        • Ran my first sub-20 5K in June (and did it again in August)(original 2012 goal was a sub-22, which I hit in January);
        • Improved my HM PR from 1:49:02 in Nov. 2011 to 1:30:59 in Oct. 2012 (original 2012 goal was sub-1:40, which I hit in March);
        • Completely obliterated my 2012 mileage goal: original goal was 1200 miles; I hit 2,500 this morning and may just make it to 2,600 by 12/31;
        • Each of my 9 races in 2012 has been a PR (5K, HM, HM, 5K, 5K, 10K, 5K, HM, FM)
        • Won my first AG awards (won my AG twice in 5K's in April and August)
        • Became a predawn runner.  That was the only way I was going to be able to get in the mileage Pfitz 18/70 called for.  Needing to be back home by 5:45 in the morning to get ready for work and get the kids to school, I had to get up and out the door as early as necessary to fit the miles in on a given day.  Sometimes, that was 4:45 (for a 5 mi recovery run).  Sometimes, it was 3:20 (for a 15 mi MLR).  It was tough on those too-frequent days that I didn't get to bed until midnight (long time night owl here), but I didn't give myself a choice.  The mindset had to be, "Get the run done now because you know you won't be able to do it later!  DO NOT HIT THAT SNOOZE BUTTON!"  It helped that I was also able to increase the distance I could run on an empty stomach (up to 17 miles during the cycle), which dispensed with the need for a pre-run meal on longer days and let me get a little more sleep.  Consistency became habit and bred routine.
        • Got to know some great folks in the forums, and especially in my teams for the Miles Game and 2012in2012, and even met some people in person from DM

I'm excited to continue my journey as a runner and see what 2013 may hold!

B-Plus

Great job all. I started running again in May. That's it.
          Motormouse

Proud Aussie

I ran more than the 2012 miles I'd set out to run, and took 14 mins off my best marathon time.

Good enough.

Goal: BQ or Bust.  (Done: BQ -5mins July 2014)

Selecting new goal.........

Sharz96

2012 wasn't the year I had planned or hoped for, but it wasn't bad. 

What went right:

1) I've stayed healthy.  Maybe a little too cautious pushing myself, but healthy. 

2) I'm still running, and running more often and mileage than ever before. 

3) I weigh less than I did a year ago.

What didn't go right:

1) Did not PR in 5K. Or do my first10k.   I'm confident I could have PRd in 5k if I'd done the late Sept one I had in mind.  But I dropped off running almost altogether in Aug and Sept and I skipped it.

2) Came nowhere near my mileage goal.  It was 800 (starting at about 10 miles a week in Jan) but due to dropping off running almost entirely when I should have been building from 20 to 30 ... nope, didn't even come close.

3) I lost only 10 of the 35 lbs I wanted to lose. 

After my father-in-law died, I dropped off running for a couple weeks ... then we went on a tough backpacking vacation for a week and it wiped me out for most of another week, and by then I was totally out of my 4AM routine  ... and before I knew it, it was 10 weeks before getting my act together again.  And I'd gained 8 lbs.  I'm not going to let that happen again in 2013.  No more letting a genuine interruption (they WILL happen) turn into weeks of not running and careless eating.

Motormouse

Proud Aussie

*double up post.

Goal: BQ or Bust.  (Done: BQ -5mins July 2014)

Selecting new goal.........

LRB

I ran my first of two marathons, and finally set a new 5k PR after about seven tries dating back to 2011.

Oddly, I did not race a 10k or half marathon this year.

I changed a lot as a runner from 2011, a full metric ton.  And as a result of those changes, I am looking forward to 2013 and heretofore, my loose goals are a sub 20:00 5k, a sub-1:40 half marathon, and a 3:30 marathon.

For me, snagging either of those would only be a part of the fun.  The real joy is in the training!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

My goal is always a simple one:  just keep running and don't let my arthritis and DDD (Degenerative Disk Disease) beat me.  As long as I am able to run I feel that I am keeping ahead of my arthritis. Also, I have this totally non-medical based belief that as long as I can keep running, I also will not have a recurrence in my cancer.  Of course it doesn't work that way, I'm sure, but that is my superstition, and one reason I had all my shirts made up, to help self-motivate me to keep on getting out there.  So far so good!

This year, once again I beat into the ground all the ongoing stuff in my body by tying my number of  races done for this year with the number or faces I did last year:   73 races completed for 2012 and in 2011 I did 73 also.  That is  my personal high.    I didn't go very fast, probably didn't even actually race them, lol, but I finished everything I started and had  a lot of fun doing them and taking photos and doing race reports with all the photos.  Maybe in 2013 I will get to 74 or 75. Maybe not.  Either way, I just enjoy getting out there and I take it one week at a time, one run at a time.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

PR's in every distance and 3 first place overall wins. I am most proud of my sub-6:00 mile. I wanted that SO BAD and I trained my motherf***ing ass of for it. I actually cried when I crossed the finish line and I'm not a crier.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

delicate flower

I didn't go very fast, probably didn't even actually race them, lol, but I finished everything I started and had  a lot of fun doing them and taking photos and doing race reports with all the photos.  Maybe in 2013 I will get to 74 or 75. Maybe not.  Either way, I just enjoy getting out there and I take it one week at a time, one run at a time.

I don't think anybody has more fun than you.  Smile  

<3

The Good: 5 Years Free of Hodgkin's Disease.  Smile  Finally breaking 1:43 in the Half-Marathon.  The Cleveland Marathon.  NC24.  Seeing SueinTN win the NC24.
                          The Bad: Falling and breaking my hand while marathon training in March.  
                          The Ugly: The month of December. Mass behind my eye = 4 surgeries, a nasty case of osteomyelitis, a plate in my head, and my longest break from running in 15 years.  Sad

LRB

I am most proud of my sub-6:00 mile. I wanted that SO BAD and I trained my motherf***ing ass of for it. I actually cried when I crossed the finish line and I'm not a crier.

That is awesome!

Jenny, get better!

Docket_Rocket

The Good: 5 Years Free of Hodgkin's Disease.  Smile  Finally breaking 1:43 in the Half-Marathon.  The Cleveland Marathon.  NC24.  Seeing SueinTN win the NC24.
                              The Bad: Falling and breaking my hand while marathon training in March.  
                              The Ugly: The month of December. Mass behind my eye = 4 surgeries, a nasty case of osteomyelitis, a plate in my head, and my longest break from running in 15 years.  Sad

I thought this was last year!  I remember!

I hope the infection is leaving your body already!  I need to see more running with Bob pics in FB!Approve

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

What happens when certain achievements are greater than your wildest expectations?  I ran my 2nd Peachtree Road Race 10K with my son Matt &  better my time by 10 minutes from previous year.  Then I ran  two more 10Ks and eventually going sub 1:00:00 with a time of 55:28 in the Cartersville 10K.  The next day I score my best 5K time at a race at Auburn University with time of 27:06.  Then, thanks to encouragement to dream from some fellow runner friends in Illinois, I train and run my first half marathon in late October at the AthHalf in Athens, GA with a time of 2:06:20.

So running was a plus for me this year.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot