Beginners and Beyond

2012 Year in Review (Read 543 times)

Completed my first 2 HM's, really enjoying the distance.
    Had hopes on reaching 1,000 miles, but lost a few weeks between the storm, being sick and travel with work.
    When I started running 1.5 years ago I was 240, I'm at 206 now, want to get down to 180 eventually.

bluerun

Super B****

Um.  Came into 2012 returning from multiple pelvic/sacral stress fractures, ran three awesome 5Ks (all PRs), got another pelvic stress fracture, just starting coming back from that and then got into a cycling accident and broke my hip.  And that was all in the first half of the year.

Which means that the second half of the year HAS to have been amazing in comparison.  It was pretty good, for the most part... PRs in the 5 mile, 10K, and FINALLY the 5K (which I'd been after since before the second pelvic sfx).  All of that was pretty much made possible because I switched PTs, which is the best decision I ever made, especially because that gives me much better access to an AlterG.  Apparently some people think running on an AlterG is "cheating," but it has saved my life.  (Not hyperbolic there, either.)  I would never be able to achieve the mileage I now do if I had to run solely on the road.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

notimeforthat

Well somewhere around here I had posted my 2012 miles but I screwed them up because I didn't refresh the app from Training Peaks.

Doh.

Bike: 2097.00 miles

Run: 320.06 miles

Swim: 139,632.00 yards

Race: 95.97 miles

Bricks: 247.27 (Bike/Run or Run/Bike/Run)

No wonder I lost weight. Dang.

School picked up big time with clinical rotations that were 5 days a week starting in August, so I really had to dial back what I was doing. Hopefully 2013 will allow me a new job after May and then training can be a little less hectic....right, who am I kidding?

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

2012 is a year to forget. I came into it more injured than I thought I was, had a month off due to said injury and then had trouble getting back into it. My only race was the Berlin Marathon where I was just happy to not fall apart. I had my first DNS (Paris Half-Marathon) and DNF (Paris Marathon) as well. I didn't run a single step in November either because I thought I had a stress fracture. If it wasn't for cycling I probably would have gone crazy this year.

I also managed to gain like 6-7 lbs in about two and a half weeks when I went home for ChristmasUndecided.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Docket_Rocket

Here's to 2013 being a better year...and to FINALLY meet at Paris.  Sheesh!

2012 is a year to forget. I came into it more injured than I thought I was, had a month off due to said injury and then had trouble getting back into it. My only race was the Berlin Marathon where I was just happy to not fall apart. I had my first DNS (Paris Half-Marathon) and DNF (Paris Marathon) as well. I didn't run a single step in November either because I thought I had a stress fracture. If it wasn't for cycling I probably would have gone crazy this year.

I also managed to gain like 6-7 lbs in about two and a half weeks when I went home for ChristmasUndecided.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

TennisKid1192

Kevin

This is a fantastic thread, and makes me realize how many simply amazing people are on this site =]

My 2012:

• Ran my first race. My cousin and I had talked about running together for a long time. Then we finally just registered for the Firefly 5k. I completed C25k [for the third time I think], and finished the race a little above 30. 
              • And my second and third =]. My first race got me hooked and I ran my second and third 5k in October and November. PR of 26:31 on a shorter course, but I'll take it.

Overall, I just learned how motivating races are. They keep me running and give me goals. Which is why 2013 is going to be my year of [at least] 12 races or [at least] race a month. Started off with a New Year's Day 5k in Chicago. These races also include my first half in April and maybe another half [or full?!?!] towards the end of the year.

2013 Goals: 1000 Miles | 5k: Sub 25 | HM: Sub 2:00 | 1 Race/Month 

workinprogress11

2012 was all good running wise.

1. 5K PR

2. 5K AG win

3. HM PR

4. First marathon then second marathon a month later pacing a friend.

5. I went 800 miles over my mileage goal for the year.

I hope 2013 treats me as well.

Goorun

Nice thread. 

It was a sucky year for me too. After a good start I injured my hamstring and ran Eugene marathon in April with that injury. Took most of the year off to fix that hamstring, gained almost 30 lbs in progress. 

Silver lining is that even I didn't race much  (2 marathons, 2 halves and one 10k) I won my AG in every race (have not lost a race in AG since 2009) I won one race OA, one second OA and one third OA. I'll be 59 this year, so not all bad I guess.

Outside of running, our dog Nanook was diagnosed with terminal, not operable cancerous tumor in November 2011 and was given a couple of month to live. He is still with us and doing well for his condition. His treatments and meds are working and he is still one happy dog, which makes us happy in return.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

The year I became a "serious" runner, at age 47. First half, first full. (PR's in both!!)

Looking forward to more great things in 2013.

Dave

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

DR - Yes thanks, I hope it's a better year too. Good luck to you as well. Does that mean Paris is all confirmed for you then?

Goo - That's good to hear that Nanook has been faring better than expected. Here's to a better 2013 for all of us.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Adam, I felt like that for 2011 when I lost essentially the second half of the year to a nagging injury. 2012 was a good year for me though my times didn't come back as quickly as I'd hoped. 2013 is starting out very good and I'm hoping it will be my best since 2007 when I ran my best times in 3-5 years.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.