Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins (Read 16 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'Morning !!!

Short run this morning and that's it until Saturday's HM.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!  I'll try to get out for a run this morning.  I've been looking at real estate recently.  Our lease is up at the end of September so we're trying to figure out if we want to continue renting our buy something.  NYC real estate is terrifying though =P

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Pilates and 5 miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Quartet rehearsal last night was good -- we sounded better than we did at competition, even though we'd been off for three weeks, because everyone was mostly healthy!  Clearly we need to all live in a bubble around February/March of next year.  Chorus rehearsal tonight, which should also be good.  The appraiser is supposed to look at our car today, so hopefully today or tomorrow we'll know what we're doing next.  If we end up car shopping, I might take Monday off for that.

Jerryb -- woo-hoo for your short run and upcoming HM!!

Jill -- I can't imagine looking for a place in NYC!!

Docket -- have a good 5 and Pilates!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Brilliant

Good morning penguins!

Jerry, good luck!

Jill, I hope you get a run in.

Damaris, have a good run & pilates.

Hopesmom, good luck with the car.  I'd rather take a beating than shop for a new car. I just helped my daughter buy a new car in January and we did all of the "legwork" on the internet.  She told me what she wanted, I emailed a bunch of dealers, found the best deal, and they had the car & paperwork ready when we showed up.  So at least it was less painful than other times I've been involved in a new car purchase.

5 hilly miles done this morning with 2 runners from my club.  I'm eating a bowl of Cheerios and strawberries, then off to the gym for some upper body work.

GinnyinPA

Jerry - enjoy your last pre-race run. Good luck on Saturday.

Jill - good luck on your house/condo hunting.  As expensive as NY is, that must be a bit scary.

Damaris - enjoy your Pilates and short run today. I thought you usually do longer runs on Thursday. Is this a taper week?

HopesMom - have fun at chorus tonight.  Good luck with the car search.  I generally am able to avoid that, fortunately, since I drive so little. My husband picks out the car/truck and I just say, "fine'.

Allison - good job on the early run.  Nice to have companions.

AFM:  Another rainy day--more downpour than sprinkles this time--though the radar says it's supposed to end in a bit. I'll get some exercise later, but I'm not sure what. We need the rain badly, but it sure is dreary having day after day of gray skies and showers.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Looks like rain for my HM on Saturday.  Does anyone where plastic grocery bags on their feet (between socks and shoe)?  Any other shoe ideas?  Duck tape?

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Looks like rain for my HM on Saturday.  Does anyone where plastic grocery bags on their feet (between socks and shoe)?  Any other shoe ideas?  Duck tape?

Just bring fresh socks and shoes for after the race.  There's really nothing you can do to keep the water out :-)  At least that's been my experience with rainy races.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

I read a thing that said adhesive tape (like medical tape, not scotch tape) was better for blisters than pretty much any of the more expensive stuff out there.  If you know you're prone to blisters at a particular spot on your foot, tape it up beforehand.  Or carry a roll with you and tape up any hot spots you get en route.

Of course, it's not like I run HM's, or anything else, so what do I know?  It's just that wet feet mean blisters for me. 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Jerry - enjoy your last pre-race run. Good luck on Saturday.

Jill - good luck on your house/condo hunting.  As expensive as NY is, that must be a bit scary.

Damaris - enjoy your Pilates and short run today. I thought you usually do longer runs on Thursday. Is this a taper week?

HopesMom - have fun at chorus tonight.  Good luck with the car search.  I generally am able to avoid that, fortunately, since I drive so little. My husband picks out the car/truck and I just say, "fine'.

Allison - good job on the early run.  Nice to have companions.

AFM:  Another rainy day--more downpour than sprinkles this time--though the radar says it's supposed to end in a bit. I'll get some exercise later, but I'm not sure what. We need the rain badly, but it sure is dreary having day after day of gray skies and showers.

I have a marathon on Sunday. Smile

And I'm moving my 5 until tomorrow.  Too much to do and hubby just hopped on the TM.  90F here.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

D - are they forecasting rain for Flying Pig?  I didn't realize it was so soon.

Jerry - the problem with plastic bags is you sweat inside the plastic. I know people who do it while hiking in snow, but that's a lot slower and colder. I have a 13.1 mile group run with the beer runners on Sunday and our forecast is also for rain. Since I rarely run in the rain, I have no idea what will chafe.  It will be a learning experience for both of us.

Docket_Rocket

Thunderstorms, waahhhh.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

D - are they forecasting rain for Flying Pig?  I didn't realize it was so soon.

Jerry - the problem with plastic bags is you sweat inside the plastic. I know people who do it while hiking in snow, but that's a lot slower and colder. I have a 13.1 mile group run with the beer runners on Sunday and our forecast is also for rain. Since I rarely run in the rain, I have no idea what will chafe.  It will be a learning experience for both of us.

Ginny, if I do learn something, I'll report it here on Saturday.  I doubt that I will like the plastic, but, if the plastic is too hot, I can always remove it.  I'll duck tape my shoes as well.  We are taking rain jackets and garbage bags.  Also bought some Body Glide.