Beginners and Beyond

TomTom Runner? (Read 62 times)

Little Blue

I didn't want to hijack beer run's Garmin thread.

My Garmin 205 is fading fast.  DH replaced the battery a while back, but it intermittently shuts off.  It might run for 30 minutes then shut off.  If I turn it back on, it might run for hours.

Someone on the other thread suggested TomTom instead.  It looks like they only make one model for running, which is probably fine.

I really don't use many of the Garmin features.  I got it especially for the GPS tracking, so I can run randomly and know how far I've gone without having to map it.  I like the basic stats, but rarely upload to Garmin Connect.  I'm not interested in a heart rate monitor.

Is the TomTom Runner what I should be looking at?  If so, I'll keep an eye out, limping along on my Garmin until my birthday or a sale.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

TomTom the piper's son,

Stole a pig and away did run.

The pig was eat

And Tom was beat.

And Tom went crying

Down the street.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Little Blue

Always a classic. 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

My runner cardio is just 2 days old, so I'm just a tomtom newbie.  This replaces my F10 who's band broke and I replaced for $15, but apparently DW thought I needed a watch with a built in HRM.  Couple of initial thoughts,  so far it is working well and easy to use, but I can't find the auto pause, so I don't know if it is automatic.  Also, I run w/o my glasses and I can't read the top 2 lines on the screen, since lower number is so big.  I also miss the ability to discard an activity before it is saved as the FR10 did.  Also, I tried the alarm last night and I slept through it, possibly rolled over on the shut off button.  Also the Garmin gave a 3 miles warning for a low battery and the TT did not have a warning other than the battery bar. One thing I like is the TM feature which will measure distance without GPS.  I'll use that for my winter indoor track running.  Probably lots of other nice training features that I haven't figured out yet. Sure don't miss the Polar HRM chest strap.  Seems like a pretty good deal for $180 after the DCRainmaker discount.  Not sure if there is still a $40 rebate for a race entry.

Docket_Rocket

They don't make one model.  They have the regular TomTom, the TomTom MultiSport, the TomTom Cardio, and the TomTom Cardio Multi Sport.  They are similar but not the same model (the last two have the optical HR).  I have the Cardio  MultiSport and love it.  HR and GPS are very accurate and the bands are interchangeable with every single one they sell.

The dcrainmaker has a pretty detail review of the TomTom Cardio MultiSport.  Please google it because I cannot link from this mobile.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

My runner cardio is just 2 days old, so I'm just a tomtom newbie.  This replaces my F10 who's band broke and I replaced for $15, but apparently DW thought I needed a watch with a built in HRM.  Couple of initial thoughts,  so far it is working well and easy to use, but I can't find the auto pause, so I don't know if it is automatic.  Also, I run w/o my glasses and I can't read the top 2 lines on the screen, since lower number is so big.  I also miss the ability to discard an activity before it is saved as the FR10 did.  Also, I tried the alarm last night and I slept through it, possibly rolled over on the shut off button.  Also the Garmin gave a 3 miles warning for a low battery and the TT did not have a warning other than the battery bar. One thing I like is the TM feature which will measure distance without GPS.  I'll use that for my winter indoor track running.  Probably lots of other nice training features that I haven't figured out yet. Sure don't miss the Polar HRM chest strap.  Seems like a pretty good deal for $180 after the DCRainmaker discount.  Not sure if there is still a $40 rebate for a race entry.

I don't thik the TomTom has auto pause but since I never use it, maybe I missed where it is.  Oski might know if it has it (but I doubt it).

I think there is a ways to discard the workout without saving it but otherwise, I just don't upload that FIT file.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

There's no auto pause, but you can pause it pretty easily anyway - I don't ever use autopause when running, only cycling anyway.

Because it only saves like the last 12 activities, it doesn't accumulate activities like Garmin so there's no delete function.  I guess you can always upload and delete the download?

Little Blue

Hmm,. sounds interesting.  I never use the auto pause on my Garmin, because there was always a lag at stop/start.  I pause it manually.  And I don't really need a lot of history, once I've logged my run.

I'm definitely going to keep my eye out.

StepbyStep-SH

How is the charging hookup? That is my biggest complaint right now with my Garmin FR 210 - 50% of the time when I try to hook it up, it either won't connect or it causes the entire watch to freeze up. I can't even do a hard reset when that happens, and have to wait until the battery runs completely down and attempt to hook it up again.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

LRB

I never use the auto pause on my Garmin, because there was always a lag at stop/start.

Same here. Great idea in theory though, and useful if you are not one to obsess over losing a few seconds here or there.

Little Blue

How is the charging hookup? That is my biggest complaint right now with my Garmin FR 210 - 50% of the time when I try to hook it up, it either won't connect or it causes the entire watch to freeze up. I can't even do a hard reset when that happens, and have to wait until the battery runs completely down and attempt to hook it up again.

That sucks.

Little Blue

Same here. Great idea in theory though, and useful if you are not one to obsess over losing a few seconds here or there.

Um, yeah.  I have an accountant's brain.  Details matter.

Docket_Rocket

You hook up directly to the omputer.  I actually have mine always hooked, never a problem.  I actually never had a problem uploading.  It does not upload to RA directly, but I upload the FIT file.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

StepbyStep-SH

You hook up directly to the omputer.  I actually have mine always hooked, never a problem.  I actually never had a problem uploading.  It does not upload to RA directly, but I upload the FIT file.

How does it charge? I don't actually bother with downloading from my Garmin since I have an older Mac and didn't want to fiddle with loading the software. It's the stupid clip for charging that is a problem.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Hip Redux

How does it charge? I don't actually bother with downloading from my Garmin since I have an older Mac and didn't want to fiddle with loading the software. It's the stupid clip for charging that is a problem.

Like she said, charges through the computer.  Here's what the charger looks like, connects via USB port.