Beginners and Beyond

Final Tune-up race for NYCM - 10K (RR) (PR) (Read 52 times)

TakeAHike

Intro

This was my third and final tune-up race for my upcoming debut marathon.  I am following Pfitz 18/55, which calls for tune-up races 6, 4 and 2 weeks before the big day.  I had set PRs in my two previous tune-ups and I was hoping to set another in this race.  I set my 10K PR in 1997 when I was just 25 year old.  To beat that, I would have to run faster than 6:56 per mile.  Based on my recent training, I was pretty confident I could pull that off.

Pre-race

I have slept well before other recent races, but I was really keyed up the night before this one.  I went to bed at 10:30, but just couldn't sleep. I eventually did fall asleep and then woke up 2 hours before my alarm and then had a hard time getting back to sleep. Nonetheless, I felt pretty good when I was drinking my coffee at 6:45.  The race started at 9:05, so I got to the race around 8:00, leaving plenty of time for registration and warm up. It was a chilly morning, so I wore my brand new arm warmers in the the warm up.  I had never worn them before and wanted to test them out before the marathon.  They felt comfortable and warm, but I dumped them right before the race. I jogged 2 miles, faster than I would like, did a few strides and then lined up for the start, with 5 minutes to spare.

Mile 1: I felt good from the very start. Like those around me, I went out way too fast, but I managed to dial in a more reasonable pace after the first quarter mile. At one point, my Garmin said 5:45 or something ridiculous, but I ended mile 1 with a time of 6:23.

Mile 2: At this point, I briefly wondered if I could run sub 40.  To do that, I would have to hold a 6:26 pace for another 5 miles.  I tried not to look at my Garmin so much and run more by feel.  When I finished mile 2, I noticed my pace had slipped a bit to 6:32.

Mile 3: Before the race, I heard people talking about a hill in mile 3.  I run a lot of hills, but not at a sub 7 pace.  When I saw the long hill ahead of me, I gulped and gave myself permission to ease up a bit.  I pushed as hard as I could up it, but it just kept going.  Later my Garmin said it was just 80 feet, but it felt brutal at the pace I was running.  Fortunately, we came right back down after the crest and I picked up some time on the downhill.  I finished that mile in 6:51.

Mile 4: Up until this point, I wasn't really racing against anyone else.  I was just running my own race.  Once I had the big hill behind me, I started looking for people up ahead that I could pick off.  I don't think I had been passed after mile 2 and I was starting to catch up with people who had been ahead of me the whole race.  This was a good mile for me.  6:39.

Mile 5: This is when things really started to get tough.  I felt I should be able to get back down into the 6:20s, but just couldn't get there. There were not a ton of racers ahead of me, but I tried to focus on the next guy and keep it moving.  I might have passed one or two people in this mile, but I gained on several others.  When I hit the 5th mile marker, I realized I had set a new 5 mile PR with the memorable time of 33:33. My pace for that mile was 6:43

Mile 6 and 6.2: Most of the last bit was a straightaway.  In a sense this was good, because I could see the finish from more than half a mile away, but I was already digging deep and that finish line just seemed so far away.  I passed an older guy with about 200m to go and was gaining on a younger kid when a high schooler came flying by. I had passed him in mile 5 and he was cursing and yelling and complaining.  Obviously, he had more left in the tank than I did at the end, but I think he had less fun.  I crossed the line in 41:29 and was completely exhausted.  I had forgotten how much 10ks hurt.  My final split paces were 6:25 and 6:24.

Post-race

I usually like to stick around for the awards, but I was done at 9:45 and awards weren't scheduled until 10:30.  We had a busy day planned at home, so I cheered on a few other finishers and then left.  Later, I checked results on the web and I noticed that the AGs were in 5 year increments and that I was actually 3rd in my AG. I don't know if I will get an award or not, but I am pretty pleased with 3rd.  But more importantly, I am happy that my 41 year-old body beat my 25 year-old self by a full minute.  Obviously, I have been training much more than I ever did before, but it is still gratifying.  Most importantly, this race was a good confidence boost for my upcoming marathon.  I'll go back into taper mode and try to stay healthy for two more weeks.  The 10K was nice, but the marathon is the goal race.

Event stats:

AG: 3/39

OA:  22/473

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

You raced a great race!  Those splits were awesome, and I love the way you pulled it back together after the hill.  You're looking in awesome shape for that marathon debut.  Congrats on the AG award too.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

B-Plus

Congrats on the PR! Those middle miles are always tough. Good luck in NY

Docket_Rocket

Congrats!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Holy crap you are fast! Very nice race there. Good luck at the NYCM.

- Andrew

Hip Redux

Congrats!  Sounds like the Pfitz training plan has really paid off.  Good luck at NYCM!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

You are a fast 41 year old! Great PR, especially since you are at the end of your marathon training. I am also using the Pfitz 18/55 plan and I have a 10k on Sunday. I hope I can pull off some numbers almost as fast as you (I am older! Wink) Great race and best of luck in New York. That will be an experience to remember.

happylily

That is so awesome that you were able to beat your 25 year old self! You must feel great about that. Congratulations on a very strong finish time, you will kick ass in your marathon! And congrats as well on the AG award! I always find that that says a lot about how you raced, almost more than just a finish time alone. Well done and good luck!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

workinprogress11

Congratulations on kicking your 25 year old butt!  That's really an amazing accomplishment. I wish you the best on your upcoming marathon!

meaghansketch

Congratulations on beating your 25-year old self an setting a big new PR!  Looks like you ran a great race.  3rd in your AG is fantastic, too!

Good luck at NYCM-- everything you've heard is true.  It is an unforgettable experience.  Run fast but don't forget to take it all in.  Happy tapering!

hog4life

Nice race, great splits, and congrats on another PR! Can't wait to hear about your marathon.

LRB

Things are trending quite nicely for NYC!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Things are trending quite nicely for NYC!

Indeed!!  Actually quite excited!!

Hoping to see some elite madness at the front!!  We'll see!!

Randy

RabbitChaser

Congrats on a great race and setting two new PRs! It appears you are primed for a good marathon. Thanks for sharing the RR.

delicate flower

I've only done a few 10K's but they have all been flat.  I would imagine an 80 foot hill at 10K pace would be fairly painful to run up.

Awesome race, TakeAHike!  I'm looking forward to seeing what you do at NYCM.  You keep putting more distance between our PR's.  Stop that.  Big grin

<3